Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how they work? Do they have some fragrence built in? What is it??? Archie is afraid of the fireworks during the summer, but it seems like he'd be pretty hot wearing a shirt in the summer.

It's all very interesting and I'm just sitting here....wondering what their secret is. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Pat, no.....no fragrance in mine at least. I think it is the constant firm fitting of the thundershirt that sooths them. It keeps them calmer and less anxious when they have the binding (for lack of a better word) to hold them. It has helped CeeCee so much but I have tried it out only one time. I have to wait for the next thunderstorm. I did notice quite a difference in her. If it were in hot weather and the dog was outside, I am not sure I would use it. In air conditioning in the summer durning fireworks would be fine but I would be afraid my dog would overheat too.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
I like the concept of the shirt providing comfort for the fluff. Pat, do they have fireworks on a regular schedule where you live?

They set fireworks off, frequently, down at the beach - I know that Lucy is not fond of the noise, she’s not over-the-top scared (shaking, trembling) but she does need to be close to a person when she hears the fireworks -

she will bark the "help" bark (if you know what I mean) so that someone will come and rescue her from the noise and assure her that it’s going to be O.K. - I try not to make a big deal of the noise - I will simply put on some soft music and read while she's close to me -

If there is a way to prevent a fluff from feeling fear, I’m all for it.

Please let me know what you come up with. I would be interested in what kind of results you get from the shirt.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I got one for Benny. I put it on when people come to the house that he doesn't know but haven't had a thuderstorm yet to try it out. On Halloween it didn't help. He still barked. When Sue and Tyler came over the other day I put it on but not sure that it helped him. DH was my main source of helping calm Benny down so not really sure if I can say the Thurdershirt works yet. Regardless, it's a cute shirt so I don't regreat buying it, but I can't really say yet if it's helping him.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
Pat, our Jack was part of a study done on Thunder Coats at Tufts Univ Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine.
His coat was tight fitting and had a metallic lining. It did help in T-Storms but not for fireworks.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Dianne's right. The premise behind the shirt is that people (and dogs) with sensory issues are often comforted by continual pressure around the core of their body. This is why children often get hugs when scared and are calmed by this touch. Many children with Aspbergers or Autism might have special jackets or vests that are used when in school or unfamilar and busy surroundings. As each child is different so is each dog and so it may help Archie with fireworks but it may not. Have you tried associating fireworks with something positive for Archie - maybe a walk or special treats? They do fireworks so often near my parents house in NH that we did this the first few times we ever brought Hunter up there and now he will sit and watch them with us either while being held or on the blanket with the family. He still gets treats during this time to continue to "charge" the event and while I don't know if he ever was afraid of them I can tell you that he is not now!

Another thing to consider is that during storms the barometric (sp) pressure drops and both dogs and people can react to this. If the jacket has a metallic linning of some sort that may be helping to counter the drop in pressure and therefore is less more likely to have success during a storm vs. other situations of anxiety.

Just my two thoughts!

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
I've only had Boo's thundershirt for a short while & no storms to test it on so far. We have a relative that Boo used to absolutely love but for some reason unknown to any of us,Boo started to get really nervous & stressed out when he visited. He'd shake,tremble & pant & have to be in my lap. I have tried the thundershirt 2 times when the relative visited & there is a very noticable difference in Boo's reaction to him. He has a vet appt on Wed. & since that also stresses Boo into a shaking trembling mess,he'll be wearing the thundershirt. I do believe it's too warm & tight fitting to wear outside during the summer mths. We're still in the testing phase, so can't really say yet if I'd recommend it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hi, I got a thundershirt as well I got it last week.

You have to realize you must put it a few times so the dog gets use to it first. Max has severe seperation anxiety so I thought well lets give it a try. It does help Max for me because when I go out he barks so loud it pains me to no end. So I try to put it on him a little at a time.

Plus you should all know that it does have a money back guarantee so it is worth a try. It does calm him down. Don't be worried its to tight just make sure its firm. The reason I say to adjust it so the dog can be comfortable. I have heard from several people that it works. Its not only for thunder, fireworks, anxiety and its used for training.

All I can say is it is working for Max and its a miracle for me.:chili: Just make sure to get the right size and it is velcro and it gives alot of leaway to adjust. Rule of thumb if you can put your finger thru the opening thn your not cutting of the circulation. Any questions PM me. I would give this product a buy.:aktion033: Plus the fabric is breathable it says so on the package so don't worry about the heat..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts