Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a thunderstorm last night and now that I have the 3 fluffs, it was very interesting to watch each one's reactions to the storm.

(Of course we had a storm as this is the first day of the Albuquerque Annual Balloon Fiesta. No matter how perfect the weather is just prior to and just after the Balloon Fiesta week, it always amazes me that we have storms for this wonderful event -- but that's another story.)

Anyway -- here were the reactions to the storm:

1. Lacie - as most of you know, she is terrified of thunderstorms. I put her Thundershirt on her and she is doing much better throughout the storm -- but a little anxious but nothing like she has previously been. Without the Thundershirt she literally seems to be "out of her mind" with fear.:w00t:

2. Tilly - storms have never been a big deal to her and she normally just sleeps through them or plays or does whatever she would normally do. If there's a big clap of thunder she may look startled, but then goes back to what she was doing.:thumbsup:

3. Secret -- this is the first storm I've been through with Secret. But, having lived in South Florida, I know that she's been through storms and even hurricanes in the past. So last night she was fine with the storm EXCEPT whenever there was a big boom of thunder -- then she would bark at the thunder (in her cute LITTLE voice) as if to tell the thunder to stop making noise and go away. She didn't seem to be frightened at all, just talked to the thunder. LOL:HistericalSmiley:

It's so strange that each one reacts so differently to storms.:unsure::blink:

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
It's good to know that Lacie is responding well to the Thundershirt. I'm thinking of getting one for Chloe. I just started using the D.A.P plug in and it seems to be helping to keep her calmer.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's good to know that Lacie is responding well to the Thundershirt. I'm thinking of getting one for Chloe. I just started using the D.A.P plug in and it seems to be helping to keep her calmer.
Debbie -- I tried the D.A.P. for Lacie but it didn't seem to offer her much help. My Vet had suggested it. I hope that Chloe will respond to it. The Thundershirt is the only thing that's truly seemed to help my little girl. I'm so glad that I bought one for her.

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
I'm so glad my girls don't get scared, Muffy was like Lacie, broke my heart I couldn't help him, wish I would have known about the Thundershirts

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I did the thunder CD with Roo from day 1. He is oblivious even to tornadoes I discovered. Soda got kongs during storms from day 1.....he has been fine but I did the thunder CD with him anyways. from now on I will do this with every dog.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I did the thunder CD with Roo from day 1. He is oblivious even to tornadoes I discovered. Soda got kongs during storms from day 1.....he has been fine but I did the thunder CD with him anyways. from now on I will do this with every dog.

Is there a particular thunder CD that you used? Also how do you go about training them with the use of the CD?

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I every introduce a new puppy into my home, I will start with this. Lacie wasn't really bothered by storms until she was about 1 1 /2 and we had moved to New Mexico. The monsoons in the Southwest are soooooooooooooooooooo violent compared to the storms in other locations.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
When Naddie came to us , along with some of her other 'issues" was the worst fear of thunderstorms I've ever seen in a pooch. (She kind of scared me!!! :w00t: ... not of the storm but her reaction!)
I got a CD ( Here's a demo you can hear : ) http://www.thundercd.com/thunder.mp3

I started with lowest volume..and only seconds. Gradually increased time but kept volume. Soon she got used to it so increased volume but went back to seconds.. and built up as I previousely did.
She got so so much better!!! I was anxious to see how she did with 'the real thing' and it was amazing the difference! She still doesn'r 'like them.. but generally goes to one of her beds nearby me and just lays there and 'rides it out'. So much better than her trying to dash thru doors/windows in a total panic! If one comes in the night, sometimes she'll whimper till I awaken... then she'll go to her bed and lay down! :smpullhair: ...as I lay awake for hours LOL
Quincy isn't bothered.. He just 'tells the storm off" then goes does his thing.:HistericalSmiley: Same with the recent fireworks...barked a bit at first, then got bored and went to LR to get a toy. Fireworks still freak Naddie a bit, but for them she goes to basement to ride them out. Not a lot of shaking...just goes to her bed down there and lays there till they're over. Recent fireworks they sent big boomers off thru the afternoon and they did upset her and I feared she really go freaky when they went off one after another but she did pretty good!

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Terry -- Lacie is as bad as Naddie was. The Thundershirt has made a world of difference for her.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I'm glad the Thundershirt is helping Lacie's anxiety with storms, I know you've tried just about everything out there to help her. I bet she will continue to improve with her special shirt on.

I am kind of surprised Tilly doesn't react much to the storms, since Lacie is so afraid of them. At my house if one dog reacts negatively to something, the other usually reads their signals and reacts the same way. You're lucky!

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
I bought the thundershirt and I love the way it fits but I have not used it yet. I hope I get the same results because CeeCee goes wild in a thunderstorm.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I bought each one of mine the Thunder Shirts cause Chachi and Katie are really frightened by the thunder, Chloe not at all but I got her one too. I didn't want her to feel left out. So far we have had only one thunder storm since we got the shirts. Katie was totally fine with the storm. She just laid down and went to sleep. Usually she paces up and down and just can't relax. Chachi was still frightened but not as bad as he usually gets, looking for a place to hide and panting like crazy. He let me hold him and he fell asleep in my arms. My heart breaks for them when they get so frightened. I do think that the shirt has helped both of them a lot. The shirts are quite expensive, especially when you buy three. I hope to make some for them myself so they will always have a spare. Especially for Chachi since his aim is not always perfect and he manages to wet what ever he has on when he lifts that cute little leg of his:HistericalSmiley:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts