Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am starting to think about spring...snow is melting here in Ohio. Last year when I had Lacey outside I used a stake that you screw into the ground and used a very light weight 20 foot tie out. Lacey was always getting it tangle up. We cannot put a fence in where we live...bylaws will not allow one. Don't want to put in an electric fence...wild animals can still get in the yard. We have coyotes and a black bears now so I like to keep Lacey close to me, we also have lots of hawks and now bald eagles. Is there a stake I can purchase that she will not get the tieout tangled up in? Plus I have a husband who spends alot of time outside in the warm months and of course he takes Lacey with him but he isn't to good about watching her so I like to have her on a tieout so she can't get into trouble or wander off.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Personally, I'd put up an enclosure for this purpose rather than a stake. I just wouldn't be comfortable with a stake. You can buy enclosures at any dog supply store. It can also be added to, allowing for even more room to run around. Without a fence, though, I wouldn't put a Maltese out alone. They can get stolen. Or swallow something and choke. Or a larger animal can get them. Just me. I am a paranoid mommy.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Can you put a "puppy yard" in your yard when you're outside? I've seen them in catalogs and online... it is portable and she'd be in it only when you're out there with her. I'm not much for dogs being "tied up" .....

EDIT: Oops... I didn't see Carol Ann's response... looks like she and I are in agreement though!!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Have you thought about the Exercise Pens.

We love ours and take it camping. The one we purchased comes in 8 panels and it folds up for storage. Ours is heavy duty and Puddles can't get out of it, but he's never left outside alone. We also have bought extra panels for ours.

Check Petsmart I have seen them there.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
an enclosure sounds like agood idea. since you said that wild animals can get to her. and i havent tried using a stake in the ground...but i've tied them to trees--and they still get tangled in the leash. but anyway...i really like the idea of an enclosure

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Originally posted by Puddles Mom@Mar 20 2005, 09:36 AM
Have you thought about the Exercise Pens.

We love ours and take it camping. The one we purchased comes in 8 panels and it folds up for storage. Ours is heavy duty and Puddles can't get out of it, but he's never left outside alone.  We also have bought extra panels for ours.

Check Petsmart I have seen them there.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44604
[/QUOTE]

That's exactly the "enclosure" and "add ons" to which I was referring earlier in the thread! We got ours at PetSmart as well. Thanks!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Lacey's Mom:

When we are out in the yard being busy, I use a tie-out like you for Brinkley...and as long as I find an open enough place to put it, he doesn't get tangled...the stake goes all the way into the ground and completely swivels in a circle-if I put him close to a tree or the swing set, sometimes he will circle around it, and I have to go untangle him
-but I have pretty much found enough spaces I can put him where he won't do that now... 10.00 vs. 50+ for a large excercise pen was a big factor for us...plus, I was just the opposite of K/C...I didn't mind the tie-out as much as the pen when we were outside...at least I felt like he could go farther and stuff...I don't know, it is all a matter of preference. Brinkley doesn't stay outside without us anyway. He is always with us...usually me, because hubby doesn't watch him well either. For the length of time that we are out there, and always supervised, I didn't find the tie-out to be a big deal. JMO

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
If you don't like the play pen idea, I did see somewhere a Flexi tie out. It's the same company that makes the retractable leashes...I'm not sure if the tieout will be retractable though...

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
The only thing about the stake out.... Years ago when I read "No Bad Dogs" by Barbara Woodhouse, something stuck with me. She said never to put a dog on a stake out because the dog can get frustrated when getting to the end of the rope. I can't recall the rest of what was said (can look it up if anyone is interested) but she said if the dog has to be tied outside to use a clothes line so the dog can move back and forth and not be restricted.

Her advice may be more important when a dog is left outside alone and not when our little ones are out with us for short periods of time, however.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Mar 20 2005, 07:36 PM
The only thing about the stake out.... Years ago when I read "No Bad Dogs" by Barbara Woodhouse, something stuck with me. She said never to put a dog on a stake out because the dog can get frustrated when getting to the end of the rope. I can't recall the rest of what was said (can look it up if anyone is interested) but she said if the dog has to be tied outside to use a clothes line so the dog can move back and forth and not be restricted.

Her advice may be more important when a dog is left outside alone and not when our little ones are out with us for short periods of time, however.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44716
[/QUOTE]

I may be totally wrong, but I think that Flexi tie out I posted earlier was like the clothes line idea.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut+Mar 20 2005, 07:41 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Mar 20 2005, 07:36 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44716
I may be totally wrong, but I think that Flexi tie out I posted earlier was like the clothes line idea.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44719
[/B][/QUOTE]

That makes sense for the ones that are left out there alone. I also wouldn't trust Brinkley alone long on his tie-out because he works his chin under his harness and will work it/chew it until he breaks loose...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts