Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am off tomorrow so I decided to make an appointment for Lexi to get her annual shots (due next week). The old vet sent me a card saying she is due for:
- DHLP Booster (I thought I had said not to give her the L part, but I guess I must have let him talk me into it)
- Parvovirus Booster
- Rabies Canine 2 year booster (I thought Iowa was every 3 years?)

Anything her she doesn't need? Lexi is 15.5 months old.

She has already had the heart worm blood test and a bordetella. We already have the heart worm meds and Frontline plus.

I need to have them look at her knees again and I want to ask them about biting her nails. Anything else I should ask about?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have a cat that bites her nails........she only does it at night, as she lays on the bottom of the bed....drives me up the wall.

I would revisit the Lepto part of that booster....that one really scares me more than the rabies shot did.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called the vet to make the appointment and asked about the DHLP. The receptionist said they can give it without the Lepto. I'm just supposed to tell the vet when I see them.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
With rabies, they get one around 4-5 months of age, a booster one year later, and then it is every 3 years. So at 15 months, she needs a rabies booster.

I would separate the vaccines by 3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@May 5 2005, 11:03 AM
I found the map that LadysMom posted a link to awhile ago: State Rabies Vaccination Requirements

According to that map Iowa requires a rabies booster shot every 3 years.  So after this year Lexi won't need another rabies shot until 2008.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60046
[/QUOTE]
I have an appt for the boys next wed. What I understood was that if you give the rabies vac. before it 'expires' it will count for a 3 year vac. I guess it expires the day before you got it last year. Oh yea, I'm supposed to bring a fecal too. Tic finished his puppy shots the day before I brought him home and the vet had me wait a couple of weeks before he got the rabies....I usually have to separate the shots for Peanut too, but the tech was new so I'll just ask the vet what we should do.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Are you spacing those vaccines out?

Let me know if the vet has any ideas as to why Lexi is biting her nails! Kodie does too!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yeah I just got an postcard int he mail telling me Sunny is due for all his shots, gotta remember to make that appointment, I am just gonna get him all the shots becuase we live in the middle of nowhere and he goes outside and sometimes plays with the scary dogs next door so if there is anything out there to catch he is proubly at risk for it.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I hope all goes well! Kisses to Lexi.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Kodie@May 6 2005, 01:20 PM
Are you spacing those vaccines out?

Let me know if the vet has any ideas as to why Lexi is biting her nails!  Kodie does too!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60471
[/QUOTE]
I talked to the vet and she ended up doing the DHP and rabies shot. Lexi was fine on Friday but on Saturday she was really sore on the leg that had gotten the rabies shot. I called the vet and they had me give her children's Benidryl (sp bad). I gave her one at lunch and another at bedtime. She was fine on Sunday. Next time I will probably space the shots out. Could I also give her a Benidryl before going to help prevent a reaction? I had called the clinic on Thursday and the receptionist told me there wasn't really anything I could do.

I asked the vet about the nail biting and she said she didn't think it was allergies. She said some dogs just have bad habits (like humans do). Of those bad habits she said the nail biting wasn't that bad. She could see that Lexi had some of the nails down to the quick so she couldn't cut them. She did try to file down the pointy ones but Lexi didn't like it and started to stuggle a lot. So she was only able to do a few.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by Kodie@May 9 2005, 08:48 AM
ummm... so your vet thinks is a bad habit... i wonder.  Do you think its a habit?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61030
[/QUOTE]
I think it might be. Not sure. It could be seasonal allergies but I'm not sure. In the fall she would chew on the fur on her legs and it would be all stained. She would also scratch a lot. She isn't doing any of that now. What is weird is her feet aren't stained at all. I've noticed they are damp a lot though for her chewing on her nails.

I haven't really changed her food recently. I wonder if it is the treats. Hmm. I can't remember if the nail biting started before or after I got the jerky treats. I might try going off those for 2 weeks and see if she continues biting her nails.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts