Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, for the past (almost) two weeks, my baby Angus has, ugh, come to attention, so to speak.
(hee, hee!)

Almost every day I have noticed he's at least had a bit of one. We were waiting until June to have him fixed as we were wanting him to finish losing his baby teeth on his own (and thus have any remaining pulled at the same time).

But now that I've been noticing the action down below, I am wondering whether I should just get him fixed and be done with it. I seriously don't know if all of this action is a signal that the fixing needs to be done ASAP, or if it's just par for the course and not an indication that he's going to start marking, etc. very soon (I definitely don't want this to happen).

Help?

·
Registered
608 Posts
IMO its par for the course. Ranger our lab is fixed and still gets excited. Not around females in heat or anything but when he is extra happy or wound up ie.... new people coming over.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut has been neutered and he still gets excited. Sometimes he does it to himself by licking A LOT
I had him neutered at 6 months and his retained puppy teeth were pulled later on during his dental cleaning. I wish it could have been done all at once, so I understand why you want to wait for the teeth. For a week or two before the neuter appt. Peanut started lifting his leg which got a little messy since he uses pee pads, but he didn't start marking. How old is Angus?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina@Apr 25 2005, 12:54 PM
IMO its par for the course.  Ranger our lab is fixed and still gets excited.  Not around females in heat or anything but when he is extra happy or wound up ie.... new people coming over.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56298
[/QUOTE]

This sounds just like Brinkley. It did decrease SOME though after neutering...

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
How old is Angus now? How much does he weigh?

The sooner you get him neutered, the less chance there will be that he will start marking. Once they've started, neutering doesn't always stop it. A lot depends on how you would cope with Angus marking. Some owners take it in stride and just use belly bands, others won't tolerate it. My neighbor got rid of her first Malt because he marked. She was the extreme. She also had her next Maltese neutered at 4 months to prevent it.

Having to have baby teeth removed separately would require another anesthesia (more risk and more $$$), but if you definately don't want him to mark, as you say, I certainly wouldn't wait any longer than 6 months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I might sound perplexed but I have a 10 month male named Taz and he doesn't mark, never did and I never gave it any thought to be honest. He is not neutered yet. Do some mark and others don't? Maybe my Taz thinks he is a girl!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I think some have a higher sex drive than others.... Catcher will be a year soon and I've never seen his thingy out ever.... I saw a little tip of it the night he was humping the pillow but that has stopped. He is not very "manly"!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Apr 25 2005, 01:58 PM
I think some have a higher sex drive than others.... Catcher will be a year soon and I've never seen his thingy out ever.... I saw a little tip of it the night he was humping the pillow but that has stopped. He is not very "manly"!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56324
[/QUOTE]

Tunder is even worse. He has bred multiple girls, and he still doesn't lift his leg at all. Not even when he is outside. No pretending for Tunder he walks to the middle of the yard and squats.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy is very macho.. this happened a lot before he got neutered and it still does from time to time.. if you look back at some of my older posts, there was one time that "it" wouldn't go back in! Very embarrasing for both of us.
He still humps sometimes and really only on one toy (a little white dog naturally) so as long as I keep that away from him he never seems to get the urge. I've always wondered if I had gotten him neutered earlier if he wouldn't have some of the issues he does now, but since he started marking after he got neutered I doubt it would have curbed his manliness much at all.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Alex was neutered at 6 months and will hump any toy that's big. He even wets it. He had a nice bear, I had to take him away from him because of that. Now no more big stuffed toys. But he has another bad habit. Every night we go to bed he wants to hump my arm. We fight every night about this. And I have to be mean to get him off of me. You would think that after a while he will get it, but noooooooo, he is stubborn. I even used the penny can for a while. He stoped and then started again. So every night we have this ritual, I barely have time to lay down he already gets a hold of my arm and believe me he is strong holding on to my arm with his front paws. My husband sometimes holds on to him but as soon he lets him go, there he is on my arm. And he does not settle down before doing this.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I'm glad we're not alone in this!

Angus is almost six months old. I'm not sure how much he weighs now, about three weeks ago it was 4.8 lbs. The vet originally said to look at May (when he'll be six months and a bit) but when I suggested waiting for the teeth, he thought June would be a good time to re-evaluate.

Now I'm nervous as all heck to wait!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Apr 25 2005, 03:06 PM
Alex was neutered at 6 months and will hump any toy that's big. He even wets it. He had a nice bear, I had to take him away from him because of that. Now no more big stuffed toys. But he has another bad habit. Every night we go to bed he wants to hump my arm. We fight every night about this. And I have to be mean to get him off of me. You would think that after a while he will get it, but noooooooo, he is stubborn. I even used the penny can for a while. He stoped and then started again. So every night we have this ritual, I barely have time to lay down he already gets a hold of my arm and believe me he is strong holding on to my arm with his front paws. My husband sometimes holds on to him but as soon he lets him go, there he is on my arm. And he does not settle down before doing this.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56409
[/QUOTE]

This made me laugh out loud!
I guess they aren't SO different from skin men!
At least he is persistent! :D

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
This entire thread gave me the only good laugh I had all day (was a lousy day at work)! Beastie just got neutered last Thursday. I have never seen his thingy. Not once. He's never even humped anything until this evening at dinnertime, when he had his way with the furry pillow that goes in one of his beds. I think he gets the prize for least macho!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Originally posted by Mystify79@Apr 25 2005, 02:11 PM
Tuffy is very macho.. this happened a lot before he got neutered and it still does from time to time.. if you look back at some of my older posts, there was one time that "it" wouldn't go back in!  Very embarrasing for both of us. 
He still humps sometimes and really only on one toy (a little white dog naturally) so as long as I keep that away from him he never seems to get the urge.  I've always wondered if I had gotten him neutered earlier if he wouldn't have some of the issues he does now, but since he started marking after he got neutered I doubt it would have curbed his manliness much at all. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56337
[/QUOTE]

Just curious. How old is Tuffy and where did you get him. He looks EXACTLY like my Jack and Jack started marking AFTER he was neutered as well and hasn't stopped since. It is VERY frustrating. What do you do when Tuffy marks? Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Jack+May 3 2005, 10:13 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Mystify79
@Apr 25 2005, 02:11 PM
Tuffy is very macho.. this happened a lot before he got neutered and it still does from time to time.. if you look back at some of my older posts, there was one time that "it" wouldn't go back in!   Very embarrasing for both of us. 
He still humps sometimes and really only on one toy (a little white dog naturally) so as long as I keep that away from him he never seems to get the urge.  I've always wondered if I had gotten him neutered earlier if he wouldn't have some of the issues he does now, but since he started marking after he got neutered I doubt it would have curbed his manliness much at all. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=56337

Just curious. How old is Tuffy and where did you get him. He looks EXACTLY like my Jack and Jack started marking AFTER he was neutered as well and hasn't stopped since. It is VERY frustrating. What do you do when Tuffy marks? Thanks
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59512
[/B][/QUOTE]

I think they end up marking after being neutered because they are just more mature then. Catcher was about 5-1/2 months when he was neutered. At that time he had never lifted his leg or humped. Now he is a year old and he humps his favorite pillow and he lifts his leg when "going" outside. He doesn't lift his leg on his potty pad, though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts