Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was drinking a chocolate milkshake (why arent i fat?!?) and a little drip got on the table, which lucy licked up. she got a little bit.. is this reason for concern? let me know, i'm paranoid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,597 Posts
I think you are fine...if it was only a drop and there is so much milk and other ingrediants which dilute the chocolate in a milkshake. But, if she shows any sign of rapid heart rate or being hyper in any way...be safe and call a vet.

Susan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,597 Posts
I think within a half hour...you should be fine if she is not showing any now.

Susan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
Brink has gotten hold of a plastic lid from the top of a DQ blizzard that was "chocolate/chocolate chip"...he licked the WHOLE lid...

He was fine!

I am sure that little lick won't hurt her...
Hugs and kisses to her...and her little sweet tooth!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,597 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Jun 3 2005, 09:49 PM
I think Lucy will be fine with that little bit 


They say that the dark stuff is whats really bad.  Especially the baking chocolate.  I think thats what I read. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68763
[/QUOTE]

Holli,

Actually it is any chocolate...milk, dark, vanilla...because it is the cocoa bean which is in all of them. The dark chocolate just does not have as much sugar or for that matter milk added so is stronger in flavor and cocoa.

Dangerous stuff.

Susan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,597 Posts
She would not be able to sit still and her heart would litterally be beating out of her chest...when it happened to my daughters Shakira, there was no denying that she was in distress. We knew immediately that she was in trouble...and stayed that way for two days as there was nothing the vet could do. She had gotten out of her room and ate some easter candy which was in the living room...by the time we found her it was hours later.

I am sure she Lucy will be fine.

Susan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you so much susan.. you've certainly put my mind at ease
lucy's just sitting here, chewing on her bone, so i think she's ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by tlunn@Jun 3 2005, 10:08 PM
Brink has gotten hold of a plastic lid from the top of a DQ blizzard that was "chocolate/chocolate chip"...he licked the WHOLE lid...

He was fine!

I am sure that little lick won't hurt her...
Hugs and kisses to her...and her little sweet tooth!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68781
[/QUOTE]

aw thanks


brinkley's crazy
what hasn't he eaten/gotten into to?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy+Jun 3 2005, 10:21 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Jun 3 2005, 10:08 PM
Brink has gotten hold of a plastic lid from the top of a DQ blizzard that was "chocolate/chocolate chip"...he licked the WHOLE lid...

He was fine!

I am sure that little lick won't hurt her...
Hugs and kisses to her...and her little sweet tooth!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68781
aw thanks


brinkley's crazy
what hasn't he eaten/gotten into to?!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68794
[/B][/QUOTE]

Hmmmm...dunno!
He is one wild risk-taker!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,597 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy@Jun 3 2005, 10:20 PM
thank you so much susan.. you've certainly put my mind at ease 
lucy's just sitting here, chewing on her bone, so i think she's ok.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68793
[/QUOTE]

Your very welcome...glad Lucy is relaxed and feeling fine.


Susan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
I know that choc. is bad for themand all but I guess we have been lucky.

One time when I was a kid my parents would give us one of those candy canes thats like two feet long filled with hershey kisses every x mas. One christmas we left to go to my grandparents after opening gifts. my candy cane was on my dresser ( which was 4 ft tall and by its self) . we came home and found one of our chihuahuas had got it down (we still dont know how) ate through the hard plastic and unwrapped each Kiss. She must have ate over 20. She was fine.

Then a few years ago when my bf and I got shiner as a pup (Min Pin) he got into everything. He was a very difficult puppy we finally thought we could trust him with run of the house and he got into a kitchen cabinet and ate a whole bag of snikers bb's. He was fine but he had the squirts all night so to keep him hydrated I forced him to drink twice as much.

We have had our experiences with choc. I wonder if we where just lucky or are some dogs more prone to having problems with it than others?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
I had given my sister some Belgian dark chocolate with a sugar coating and she had made little poufs with them wrapped in tulle and had them in a crystal bowl on her dining room table. They had been there for several days and her dog, a lab mix, never messed with them. Then one day she came home and her dog had had diarrhea all over the place and she saw that the dog had gotten up to the dining room table and had torn through the tulle and ate some of the candy. It was very dark chocolate, which is the type that is especially bad for dogs. Luckily, the dog just had a GI upset and was OK after that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Just after I got Deni (March this year) I had left to run errands for a little over an hour and my other furkids managed to dig into my husband's "war bag" (a gym bag that has supplies for simulated war exercises...USAF) which had an open MRE (Meals Ready to Eat...modern day K-rations) that had a snack pack of milk chocolate M & M's. Between the three of them (luckily tiny Deni was in her ex-pen) they opened the package and ate the whole thing, the only thing left was shredded wrapper spread across the living room floor. I quickly called the vet at 9pm and told her the situation and she said that everyone should be OK except for an upset tummy and yes, some diarrhea. She said to keep a good eye on Ally as she was just about 3# at the time. Luckily, no one had ANY symptoms. The vet said that since they had gotten into milk chocolate, it shouldn't be much of a problem because of the relatively low concentration of cocoa. However, if they had gotten into dark or baking chocolate (the worst) there could have been some reprecutions (sp?) because of the high cocoa content.

A few weeks later they got into another chocolate candy bar...I think it was half of a Baby Ruth that I had left on the living room table. No hurried call to the vet, I just kept an eye on all of them since I didn't know if it was the older Pekapoo or all three of the older furkids that got into it. Now chocolate is not allowed in the living room and my husband has to keep his war bag in a closed room away from the furkids.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by Teddyandme+Jun 3 2005, 10:11 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Holliberry
@Jun 3 2005, 09:49 PM
I think Lucy will be fine with that little bit 


They say that the dark stuff is whats really bad.  Especially the baking chocolate.  I think thats what I read.  

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68763
Holli,

Actually it is any chocolate...milk, dark, vanilla...because it is the cocoa bean which is in all of them. The dark chocolate just does not have as much sugar or for that matter milk added so is stronger in flavor and cocoa.

Dangerous stuff.

Susan
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68783
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah... I dont think I quite wrote what I was thinking
, but yes I was meaning more along the lines of the concentration of the cocoa and that the little lucy goosy would be ok with that little bit


I cant sleep for some reason and I have to be up in 5 hours for work
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
My Sheltie once got into an Easter Basket and a small 4 piece box of expensive chocolate. (the more expensive the more dangerous) I got home several hours only to be told my dog had the runs. I called the vet (after hours) and he told me to pour a bottle of Hydroygen Peroxide down her throat.
It made her throw up. If I had not gotten it all out of her she would have died.

That is what I did at that time but not sure on a tiny dog what to do. Sounds like your little one will be ok.

I should be getting a little one by the end of June and am little nervous. I have several huge plants that are very large and sit on the floor. Even though they are huge the leaves almost touch the floor. Not sure if any would hurt the pup but I fully intend to never let the pup in that room without me being in the same room with him. We had a little lab pup once and she knew from the beginning not to touch the plant. We taught her early on it was a no-no and we also never left her in the room unless one of us was there.

I do know which plants could hurt the dog but over the years have forgotten the name of some of the plants I have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by ConnieVa@Jun 4 2005, 06:57 AM
I called the vet (after hours) and he told me to pour a bottle of Hydroygen Peroxide down her throat.
It made her throw up. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68862
[/QUOTE]

My vet used that trick when Brinkley "ate" 1/2 the toilet paper roll....it DID make him throw it right back up! I was amazed!
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top