Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,879 Posts
Congrats on your new Baby Balls
What are the names of your other dogs .. are they Maltese too? How old are they?

I find that if you have expectations for size, you may be disappointed when they grow bigger. When I got my first, I was told that Cookie was going to be between 3 - 3.5 lbs. I was actually looking for a small one (yes, I shouldn't have been looking on size). She was under 2 lbs at 4 months but she is now closer to 5 lbs. On the other hand, I wanted a Maltese between 4-6 lbs when I got Sparkle. She was 2.2 lbs at 4 months but she stayed at only 3 lbs.

Usually, the size of the Maltese will be determined by the size of the parents/grand-parents etc. If the line of Maltese is larger and a Maltese is tiny, they are likely the runt - sometimes the small size is due to health issues and other times .. they maybe just a runt.

Sorry for sounding negative. I know you will love Balls no matter what size he grows to. I just want to prepare you in case he grows larger. I wish someone told me when I got Cookie

· Registered
1,879 Posts
I am so sorry about the lost of your pup. I guess this is why they say .. leave the breeding to the experts.

It is so hard to predict sizes but that's ok we still love them. On that note, I do love those cute LV shoes in the photo.
On another list of mine, I was critizied for buying a juicy bag for my furkids. So it's nice to know I am not alone in wanting to treat ourselves once in a while.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.