Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this was interesting...a tip to make your Maltese coat shiny. I found this on a website:

"1/2 cup Vinegar to a quart of water sprayed onto the coat of a dog works like a vinegar hair rinse. Their coats gleam! An extremely economical alternative to expensive show shine products."

~Elegant

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I am thinking of the vinegar smell....

And, wondering about rinsing etc. too. I know if you use vinegar on your windows/mirrors etc. It is supposed to work well. It also takes out smells...if you put it in a bowl in a room...
Def. waiting for Nichole's trial...LOL

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
How about using lemon juice instead of vinegar? Isn't it about the same chemical wise? I know it destroys odors. I always use a little lemon juice and a few drops of melaeuca oil in 2 cups of water as a final rinse when I bathe Frosty. It takes the last of the shampoo out and leaves an acid mantel that the skin needs. Even doggie shampoo is somewhat alkaline for their skin. Melaeuca (Tree Tea oil) is suppose to help with bacteria and has a wonderful clean smell.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Originally posted by _Carissa_@Jul 29 2004, 03:35 PM
I don't think I want to put vinegar in my pups hair!
Why not Carissa??
When I was a little girl my mother use to rinse our hair in vinegar water to cut the soap that was left after a shampoo.
We also used it in the washer to take the soap scum out of the clothes.
AND...now get this...when we raised Chows, we were told to put a little vinegar in their water because "it cuts down on the tearing and staining in their eyes"...ta da
It won't hurt your little guy...honest.
Especially that ratio.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I know my grandmother used vinegar for lots of things! She taught me to clean the grime off of the stove with a mixture of vinegar and baking soda I still do this today). I did a search and found this link.... if you go to the bottom you will find links for different categories such as pets.

Judi

·
Registered
69 Posts
Originally posted by Snertsmom+Jul 29 2004, 09:09 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-_Carissa_
@Jul 29 2004, 03:35 PM
I don't think I want to put vinegar in my pups hair!
Why not Carissa??
When I was a little girl my mother use to rinse our hair in vinegar water to cut the soap that was left after a shampoo.
We also used it in the washer to take the soap scum out of the clothes.
AND...now get this...when we raised Chows, we were told to put a little vinegar in their water because "it cuts down on the tearing and staining in their eyes"...ta da
It won't hurt your little guy...honest.
Especially that ratio. [/B]
I just didn't want him smelling bad, lol :lol:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Oooopps.

Originally posted by TikisMom@Jul 29 2004, 08:47 PM
I know my grandmother used vinegar for lots of things!  She taught me to clean the grime off of the stove with a mixture of vinegar and baking soda I still do this today). I did a search and found this link.... if you go to the bottom you will find links for different categories such as pets. 

Judi

I forgot to put in the link. sorry it has been a long week :wacko:

About.com ----- vinegar uses

Judi

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thanks Nichole and thanks to Toby for being out "guinea malt"

Did the odor seem to bother Toby at all? I was going to give Tiki his bath tonight but have used you as an excuse to way until after I read your post on Monday.

Judi

1 - 20 of 26 Posts