Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I'm picking up my girl tonight, I can't wait!! She was born on August 27th, so she's a little over 4 months old! I was wondering if you guys had some advice or do's and don't's for having a new puppy in the home? Anything you wish you would've known or done when you first got your little fluffs?

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
17,397 Posts
I can't wait for details! Where will you collect her? Has she been in the US for a while to acclimate?
We post-poned getting our Lisi for a month or two as Kitzi had double patella surgery at the same time we were supposed to get her the first time. Our breeder took very good care of her. I wish I had not done those both at once! I also wish I had more sleep before she came. She was a hand-full to say the least---an adorable hand full but still a handful!
I am sure you are overly prepared. Just relax & enjoy her. Post lots of pictures too!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the advice, Sandi! Aww omg I bet having to wait for the surgery was stressful. :(

She's been in the US with the breeder in Florida for about 2 weeks so that's good! It won't be too much of a time change for her. I'm picking her up at the airport, she flew here with a vet technician so I'm sure they're taking good care of her! Thankfully, I only live about 5 minutes from the airport so it will be a quick and easy car ride for her.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Be prepared to be tired!!!!!!! :HistericalSmiley: Puppies will wake you up overnight to go to the bathroom and because they're adjusting to a new home and during the day when they're awake they're like "little energizer bunnies"...…...they keep going and going and going!!!!!! :w00t: :HistericalSmiley:
I bet you don't sleep much tonight from excitement. Have fun with her and I can't wait to hear all about her.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha thanks for the heads up, Kathy! I'm sure I'll definitely need some coffee or tea in the morning to keep up with her! I can't wait to see what her personality is like. She seems very calm and gentle and sweet in the videos I've seen of her, but she def seems to still have that lively puppy energy and seems very curious!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Such an exciting time! My boys were just a tad older when I got them and we got them about a month apart. The first night Wilson howled and it tore my heart apart. It was a sad I miss my family kinda howl. He was in an open crate adjacent to my bed and the bathroom (so he was right beside me) but still not close enough. Truth be told I wish I’d snuggled with him all night to make it easier for him, but yeah, I’m that Mom lol! Other than that, being more consistent with a potty training and feeding schedule right from the start would have helped things a lot. Your pup will guide you, so don’t worry. Can’t wait to hear more!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Summer! Aww the howling, I bet that was so heartbreaking! My old roomie's yorkie boy would do that when she would leave, he still has separation anxiety! :(

So far, things are going great! Since she's so tiny, I was worried I would be getting a lethargic sick puppy, but she seems to be just the opposite! She's very peppy and playful but also super sweet and cuddly! She's done great with potty training so far, I only have one pad in a tray in her playpen and we've had no accidents so far!

Right now, the biggest thing I'm struggling with is her fur! Lol it's super soft and fluffy and she doesn't seem to have a problem with her body being brushed, but as soon as I get around her face she gets super wiggly. So right now she's got major bedhead going on lol. Any advice on how to get her to stay still so I can get her fur in a ponytail?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Glad to see that things are going so well for you and your little Baby Malt!! And I am sure that we are all anxious to see some pictures. Hope that you will be able to get some rest today after all of the excitement of picking her up and finally getting her home.

·
Premium Member
5,316 Posts
Such a cute pix in your avatar! Congrats!
She will get used to daily grooming as the weeks go on...it takes time for sure.
Will you be training her to go outside to potty or using pads? I have my 3 bell trained but I have one who is limited on going out because she likes to eat poop. That said, if indoor training, I would look into the piddle place potty system. Absolutely no smell, their feet don’t stay wet like with the pads.
Would love to see more pix and again...congratulations 💐

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much for checking in guys! Sorry for the late response, this little one has definitely been keeping me on my toes! I don't have kids but I genuinely feel like a new mom lol (although I'm sure those of you with actual children would roll your eyes at that, and rightly so!!). She has a TON of energy and loves to play! We're making a little bit of progress with grooming, but she still puts up a bit of a fight! We're training her to go on her potty pads, she's really good about going when she's in her playpen but when we have her out she's had a few accidents. I decided last night to give her an extra potty pad outside of her playpen for when she's running around though and she seems to be doing better now! I looked into the grid kind of trays but I was worried her paws would be too small so I just went with regular trays. We got carbon infused pads though and they absorb super fast and takes away all odor, they're amazing!

My friend came over yesterday and got her hair in a ponytail and I was thrilled that I was able to get some cute bow pictures lol! My partner and I are exhausted trying to keep up with her but we couldn't be happier, she's perfect and we're completely in love with her!

I'm attaching a bunch of pics! (& I just realized I don't actually have a good pic of ME with her lol, just my friend and partner! I hate being in pics but I'll try to take a little family photo soon haha)

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gahh idk why most of the pics posted sideways, they look normal on my computer and phone!

·
Registered
101 Posts
She is absolutely adorable!!! You must be over the moon with her!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you!! I am completely obsessed, she's got the cutest little personality!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
She is absolutely adorable and thanks for sharing her with us. How much does she weigh?? She looks pretty tiny in her pictures??

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Chiffon is adorable :wub:! You will find she gets used to the "top knot" routine in no time. Keep up the good work! All the time you put into training your little fluff will definitely pay off as she gets older and will be a delight to have around. :thumbsup:

My first month or two with Abella she spent most of her time confined to her expen or in her crate unless she was on my lap. I only let her "run around" in a confined area of the house AFTER she had gone pee and pooh on her pee pad in her expen....and even then Id watch her like a hawk to see if she would start squatting. She learned to feel safe in her own special place whether that was her crate or the expen. Now that she is much older I leave the door open to both her crate and expen and frequently find her snuggled up in a little ball inside. To encourage this behavior I'd randomly during the day place a small piece of a treat either in her crate or on her bed in the expen. She learned quickly to check out these places and associate them with treats - yes Abella is VERY food motivated. :HistericalSmiley:

"Life is good - Life with a Maltese is Better!"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts