Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Friday I visited my favorite man in the whole world - my dentist. I actually do love my dentist; or I thought I did until Friday! I had gone to him a few weeks ago with a little pain in a tooth and the feeling I had lost a filling. Nope, hadn't lost it but it had fractured and it had been fractured for at least 8-9 months and so there was decay under the remaining filling.

So, on Friday out came the drill and the work began. Apparently, it was worse than he thought and there was a cavity as well so he had to do more work than we had planned and a new filling is not going to do the trick - I have to have a crown. He is also now concerned about root/nerve damage because apparently putting in a crown can cause enough disturbance to the tooth that it can harm the root/nerve.

So, I have been being very careful all weekend to not put any additional pressue on my molar and therefore have been eating soup soup and more soup! I am sick of soup!

Any suggestions on food options? I really don't like creamy or mushy foods (think applesauce, jello, pudding, tofu, eggplant) so this is a real challenge. Any ideas would be helpful!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Try potatoes. I feel for you. When I had my wisdom teeth done I ended up getting Lock Jaw and was only able to open my mouth not even a quarter of an inch. I drank lots of smoothies, had soup and mashed potatoes. I even tried to sliver up chicken into tiny tiny slivers to get some protein. My brother in-law had a broken jaw and he would make a meal with meat, veggies and potatoes than blend it up and drink it. It was gross but that is always an option too. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
Oh Erin. I feel your pain. I have a mouth full of fillings from when I was young and they've been cracking and falling out and I've been getting crowns. Went to the dentist today for a cleaning thinking I'd have a little break in the action but he sees two teeth that need the filings out and on lays.:smilie_tischkante: Number one, if you chew, chew on the other side. I agree about potatoes, especially sweet potatoes which I love. Eggs and omelets, hummus on soft pita, maybe hamburger because you can cut it up really small (when I make tyler's patties). I had my first root canal two years ago and was petrified. It turns out the woman endodontist they sent me to was so gentle I didn't feel a thing. And no more pain with that tooth. :chili: Good luck.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Erin,

Oh my - this happened to me last year - on an almond - I broke the tooth - had pain all the way my into my eye socket - they did a reverse root canal (NOT FUN) only to realize that I needed to have the tooth taken out and have an implant - I was devastated (it was a back tooth thank G-d)

Long story, short (and 8K later) I did the implant, which takes a period of 6 months. I hope that you have better luck - BUT if not - my guy is in Portsmouth he’s an M.D, D.D.S. - he’s young and bright -

PM if you want his information. I'm so sorry that this has happened to you.

Best of luck,

Allie

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I would recommend making some really good quality protein smoothies. Get a protein powder that you like, and then blend it with milk and fruit. I eat these all the time, and I don't even have any dental problems. If you add some avocado or peanut butter to the shake, they become even more filling and healthy.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
How about pasta made of whole wheat? Make a yummy sauce with ground turkey. I do and it's YUM! :)

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Allie - thanks for the heads up! Portsmouth would be a lot closer than the Cape! Hopefully though, I don't have to go that route. I have another appointment in 2 weeks to put the crown on so we shall see.

·
Premium Member
10,200 Posts
Erin, everyone has already given you all the foods I would have thought of, too. So, I'm sending you wishes that your tooth ordeal will be over as soon as possible.

I've had some root canals and they were totally painless. However, the price for root canals can cause a lot of emotional pain! But, in the end, it was worth it.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I have a mouth full of crowns and 2 teeth that act as anchor to my upper denture. All of those teeth had root canal and the nerve taken out or killed (don't know what they exactly do). Crowns are pretty expensive, you don't want to have one taken off later on because of the nerve.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hi word of advice about tooth. I had a gold crown done and your seems worse than mine I had a root canal done as well since you dont want to have to break the crown if the pain comes back. Root canal is a piece of cake I always get the gas so I don't feel a thing and I am in la la land. I hate the dentist. So make sure you do it properly because just covering it up won't help in the long run. Oh and milkshakes are good too...

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Oh no, that sounds awful :( So sorry you have to go through that!!!

Do you like risotto? You can make it to the consistency you like and it's delicious :)

Hope you feel better!!

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got back from the store and bought bananas, some smoothie stuff, chili mix (I'm gonna make shredded white chili), more soup (YUCK), ice cream, potatoes, stuff to make chowder, and some muffin mix. This should hold me over through the week and by then I should be able to eat :)

Thanks so much everyone for the suggestions - I had a little spaghetti for dinner and that wasn't as hard to eat as I thought.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Awe I've been there too unfortunately I developed TMJ after my experience.

All of the food ideas suggested are good! Please avoid gum and any chewy type food/candy while awaiting your procedure.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I had TMJ surgery in Dec of 95. I was not allowed to chew for almost 3 months, but I wasn't going to miss my Christmas dinner, so I put it in the food processor. Didn't look so wonderful, we all knew there was no way I was going to mess up a 4 hour surgery, I enjoyed it. I even had popcorn, one piece at a time, lots of saliva. I missed salads the most.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Do you like Mexican food? :) After my mom had healed from some major dental extractions but hadn't gotten "new" teeth yet, I took her for a big Mexican dinner and she wolfed down a combo plate with tamale, enchilada, and refried beans with cheese on top. I miss that restaurant--my favorite was their crab enchilada. Yummmm!

Ground chicken, fried crumbled up, with Heinz brand gravy, over potatoes. Bland but satisfying. :)

Stovetop stuffing was good, too.

Cheesecake for dessert! Or flavored yoghurt if you must be healthy. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
I hope you feel better soon Erin!! Everyone gave you suggestions that I would have too!! Except with my mash taters, its got to be loaded with butter and shredded cheese. Mix until smooth and creamy! Not so diet friendly,LOL but OMGosh yummy!

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
OK, this isn't a soup recipe, but is a favorite with kids and adults alike.

Peach Smoothies

Add to a blender:

* 1 - 6oz package of low fat peach yogurt (I store the yogurt in the freezer so I'm always ready to make smoothies.)
* 8 oz of cut up peaches (frozen is fine)
* 1 package of Bacardi Fuzzy Navel frozen concentrate (this is just juice at this point... no alcohol. You can find it in the frozen juice section at the market.)
Using the now empty Bacardi packaging, add 1/2 package of water (if you are making virgin) or peach scnapps (if you are making the adult version) to the blender.
* Ice as needed.

Blend, baby, blend.

I have never had someone refuse seconds on either version of these smoothies, so I hope they are to your liking. Sorry you are having dental problems.

P.S. I store the leftovers in the freezer and use an ice cream scoop to serve after it is frozen. Let sit out for a few minutes and you are in business.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
OUCH you poor thing!!!!!!! Procedures involving the teeth are never fun. I feel for you Erin!

I think you got great food suggestions. Only one I'll add (don't think it was mentioned) was a milkshake. Get some pumpkin flavored ice cream by Edy's, nutmeg, cinnamin and milk and whip up a harvest milkshake. Feel better chica! xoxo

1 - 20 of 21 Posts