Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
i understand what you mean and there should be a thinner line but unfortunately there isnt. You said it yourself anyone can make babies and birth a child but there are alot of ppl out there that shouldnt have the title of mother and father, unfortunately thats what they are whether they r responsible or not.

Now looking at the chart that marj posted i followed everything, i talked to the breeder , i had pictures sent to me , i had a screening , i was explained all about maltese and how if i had small children a maltese might not be for me ,their temperament etc etc .. i was talked about how expensive it is to care for a puppy , i was given a contract , mostly everything on that reputable list and now im not sure if my puppy is from a reputable breeder or a byb , only because the website is from a "broker" even though they call it a placement service and they have more than one breed of puppy ,i got a contract , i had a neuter/spay contract , i was told i could return puppy if i could not take care of it for any reason , everything sounded like they had the pups benefits in mind, the puppy was over 12 weeks , it really didnt feel like they were out to get my money . so it is hard and it is difficult for us newbies to make an informed decision.

a question that has been bugging me ,
how bout if the dog is another breed , of a type of dog that doesnt get shown like lets say a pomeranian. how do u know the breeder is "reputable" . ? its just very confusing, and i just hope that whoever "breeds" puts the mom n dad dog n the puppies into consideration, whether or not they breed in a backyard or in a home etc..

u understand what i mean . ?
I'm afraid what you said here would answer it for me. I would have no doubts at all that your puppy came from what I would call an unethical breeder. It may have been a BYB/Greeder or a Mill. No breeder I would call reputable or ethical would ever sell or place puppies through a "broker" or a "placement service." Like so many of us when we got our first Maltese it is a lesson learned.

My first Maltese was bred by my neighbor because she wanted a litter or two out of her pet. She wasn't after my money, in fact I got more money out of the deal because she hired me to watch the puppies when they were born, and only charged a nominal fee when I decided I wanted one. She was not a bad person. But she was misguided. She did not have the knowledge she should have before undertaking such a momentous decision. Cloud was bigger than the standard (as was his mom) and developed diabetes (just like his mom and sisters). She had no idea what she was doing when she put those two dogs together. She just knew they had papers. I wouldn't have traded my boy Cloud for anything. He was a wonderful and very well socialized dog (I was the one who had socialized him as a pup :blush: ), but I know now that what she did was not the way to breed dogs.

Now, I just have to ask why you think Pomeranians aren't shown? There are tons of Poms in the rings. Way more than Maltese. My dear friends here in Maryland show and breed beautiful Poms. You should come out to a dog show and see all the wonderful dogs that are in the ring. Nearly every breed the AKC recognizes is usually there. There are a few breeds that have not earned AKC recognition yet, but breeders who care about those breeds work to show them in other venues as well.

As for the debate about performance versus conformation/performance showing, my belief is that ideally a breeder does both. If they do not, then you have to understand what you are going to get. Some breeds have developed two distinct looks for dogs that are bred for performance and for those that are bred to fit the conformation standard. Some people breeding performance dogs are following a kind of performance standard. Again, once you have learned about why it matters that a breeder is involved in showing then you have to determine what is most important to you in a breeder.

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Christine, I was on a website today and saw this quote:

"There is a philosophical difference between puppy producers and breeders."

It went on to talk about what a "true breeder" is and seemed to fit your definition. So, there is a term that you can use: Puppy Producers. I think it covers the various incarnations we see. The thing they have in common is that they are Puppy Producers. They are not "true Breeders."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.