Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You have a lot of compassion for your dogs and animals in general. It is hard to go to a commercial breeder's place and not react to these dogs not having what we consider basic emotional care. Sitting in a cage all day and not being let out into a yard or giving them hugs and kisses.
There are some really good breeders in the US that do not show their dogs. Wouldn't even know how to go about it. They are very consenscious about health care and improving their own lines. I've seen some beautiful dogs from people who do not have the means to show. I would rather put money back into the health of my dogs than worry about taking them into the show ring if I had to choose. Other's have made that decision. I have to respect people who do this. everyone has their opinion of what all those "terms" mean.
Some commercial breeders do more health testing than smaller breeders. They DNA to prove parentage. They employ their own veterinarians for health care. They keep their facilities spotless. Then you have some commercial breeders that are horrible. Barely keep up with cleaning and don't give a heck for the dogs health. Just give me those puppies. And it is hard to stomach seeing those places. Your educating people about all this is wonderful. The more educated people are the better choices they can make. I am one who is glad you do it. Even through your pain.

Tina thanks so much (where the heck is the hug icon :). I promise to you, and all the furbabies as well, that I will continue to reach out, to try and learn, so that I can educate myself and others, with as much love and comapssion as possible. Thank you so much for being so understanding, and thank you for being you. I truly mean that as I've told you before.

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Christine, I was on a website today and saw this quote:

"There is a philosophical difference between puppy producers and breeders."

It went on to talk about what a "true breeder" is and seemed to fit your definition. So, there is a term that you can use: Puppy Producers. I think it covers the various incarnations we see. The thing they have in common is that they are Puppy Producers. They are not "true Breeders."

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Christine, I was on a website today and saw this quote:

"There is a philosophical difference between puppy producers and breeders."

It went on to talk about what a "true breeder" is and seemed to fit your definition. So, there is a term that you can use: Puppy Producers. I think it covers the various incarnations we see. The thing they have in common is that they are Puppy Producers. They are not "true Breeders."
Carina, that's it!!!! Yes, Puppy Producers. That clearly helps to make the distinction between a Reputable True Breeder and those that just produce puppies. I think if that title could stick, maybe I'm over hopeful, but maybe, just maybe, it would clearly help make the distinction for the puppy owner to be, and scale down those that are Puppy Producers.

I know for sure no one would ask me, hey do you know of a good Puppy Producer. That title alone, I think, would grab the attention of anyone and would give them great caution, and surely they would not want to get their puppy from a Puppy Producer.

Just like the term Puppymill, has got out there, and a good amount of people do know, not to get their pups from pet stores, because they come from puppy mills. Grant you, there are still those in the dark, but I would think the numbers of those that do not know, have greatly increased from years ago.

Why the need for a title? I think to help clearly draw the lines between a True breeder and a Puppy Producer, just like you said. Using the term Breeder, and under that umbrella are byb's, millers, just dirties the water, and leads to confusion and misrepresentation (not insuating it's on purpose).

I don't mean to be unkind, or put lables on people, or a group of people, but I feel it's really necessary to clearly have a True Breeder, stand on it's own, without any subcategories associated with a True Breeder. They are distinct and should be far removed from the group that contains byb's and millers. So having the terms True Breeders and Puppy Producers, I think clearly makes that distinction.

Will the term Puppy Producer catch on and make a difference, oh I can only hope.

Thanks Carina, that really helps alot.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Will the term Puppy Producer catch on and make a difference, oh I can only hope.

Thanks Carina, that really helps alot.
PP for short!!! You know, it sounds like... what you flush in the toilet. :HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Why in the world would anyone get upset at Mary for her post? Makes no sense to me. Guess I've been away to long. There was nothing wrong with Mary's post at all, actually it was quite infomrative, as many of her post are, in my opinion.

Well, seems I'm the only one that feels the way I do, and I thank you all very much for your input and completely respect your thougths.
You are right on the money. Mary should have absolutely no reason to feel awkward, or worse yet,fearful of verbal repercussions from fellow forum members. Unfortunately, such is too often the case as Mary knows from being here as long as she has. Which is what she stated as her initial concern in her post.
I find her to be knowledgeable, responsible, and deserving of our respect. I admire the heck out of her. If others don't agree wth her decision to breed her Malt that's they're choice. I imagine I'd just say to them " T.S. Elliot" ;)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.