Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today a friend of mine took her Malt to a VERY well respected groomer. The groomer told her she was bathing her Malt too much. I believe she gives her a bath once a week.

This groomer said it is not good to bathe that often and she suggested 6 weeks. She stated that Malts have no odor and unless there was a reason it was bad for the coat and skin.

The groomer said people showing would bathe more often but our pets didn't need it.

I would like to know WHAT is the best for our babies. I know most of us do give baths more often but I am wanting to know from those "IN THE KNOW".

I think we all want to do what is best for the coat and skin.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
From experience I can say that 6 weeks would be too long for K & C. They are indoor dogs mostly and they have a standing grooming appointment on the first Friday of every month and I rarely bathe them between appointments. During the week of their appointment, I always feel they are ready for a bath and I'm usually counting down the days during that last week. They just start looking like they need a bath. And they don't really smell bad but they just don't look "fresh".

I never bathe Kallie between appointments because she just freaks out so much and she stays really clean. But sometimes I do bathe Catcher. But for me, 3 weeks would be perfect timing but it's just easier to remember the once-a-month date. And I coordinate with my cleaning lady's day so that they aren't here when she comes.

So, I hope that answers your question!!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Well, I bathe Bella once a week, even though the groomer recommended every other week. I think the "mommy" knows best. The skin by Bella's eyes would feel horrible to her if I waited two weeks. I wish I could consider myself an expert, but I can't. I just try to schedlule the groomer according to how Bella's coat feels.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Scrappy@Oct 27 2005, 10:00 PM
I agree with K/C's mom you can just tell when they are due for a bath in Scrappy's case he doesn't smell just doesn't look so white anymore.  I bathe once a week though sometimes I wonder why I bother as we are renovating and this is him a day after his bath.  My husband was in charge can't you tell. 

I was horrified Scrappy has never been this dirty or grotty looking in his life.  Hubby proudly said Scrappy learnt to dig with his paws and not his nose, like I was supposed to be impressed. 

[attachment=854:attachment]
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114138
[/QUOTE]

Oh my gosh, he is so cute. What a sweet face.

Tucker is an inside dog. He has pee pads in the garage but I am ashamed to admit he can pee and poo whenever he wants to. He will go out and poo and pee and come in to his xpen and if we LEAVE the room he gets mad and to get us back he will pee and poo again. It's not an accident, he does it everytime. If he doesn't have a poo in him he will pee.

He was taught to bark when he wants to go out. We take him but when he wants to make us mad when we are in the other room he will pee and THEN BARK. Now that is one I need to break.

We give him a bath once a week cause he walks in his pee if we don't catch him. Maybe I better just wash his paws.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i bathe l.e. every week. my groomer said that her skin looked fine with me doing this. i just make sure that i use a moisturizing shampoo with oatmeal in it to keep her skin from drying out. after just a week she starts to look a little dingy and especially after two weeks. i think it make have a little to do with her cottony coat.

she gets groomed once every month around the 15th. it does make it easier to remember!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If you use a good shampoo and conditioner, once a week is fine. My Malts have always gone outside for walks and all and they'd be gross if I bathed them only every 6 weeks. Even my big dogs got a bath once a month.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Scooby goes to the groomer once a month on a standing appointment and I don't normally bathe him in between unless he needs it. He is mainly inside most of the time except to go out for potty and for his walk to visit his friends in the neighborhood, or just to loll about in the sun, but then he is on the lawn so he doesn't get dirty at all really. I do wash his face every day and brush him too. I have never ever noticed any odour from him at all, he is a very clean little boy.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Oct 27 2005, 07:16 PM
If you use a good shampoo and conditioner, once a week is fine. My Malts have always gone outside for walks and all and they'd be gross if I bathed them only every 6 weeks. Even my big dogs got a bath once a month.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114148
[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what we think too!! I wash Miko's feet (all 4 of them) after every walk but still I think he needs a bath every week. He is not dirty or smelly but he goes outside so he needs a bath weekly. After his patella surgery, I think we didn't wash him for 2 or 3 weeks (?) and he didn't go outside at all, but I still think he needed a bath weekly but I just didn't want to traumatize him more than I needed to.

This is Miko yelling at me after the surgery for even THINKING about giving him a bath:

PS. I wasn't brushing him AT ALL after the surgery. He was a very crabby baby after the surgery.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Sadie and Sassy don't go outside at all so they are fine seeing the groomer every 3-4 weeks. Jolie does go outside and she gets a bath every other week. She sees the groomer once a month.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Originally posted by Scrappy@Oct 27 2005, 07:00 PM
Scrappy is an indoor dog and I agree with K/C's mom you can just tell when they are due for a bath in Scrappy's case he doesn't smell just doesn't look so white anymore.  I bathe once a week thougg there are extenuating circumstances like yesterday I did wonder why I bothered. My husband was in charge can't you tell. 

I was horrified he has just been bathed 
  Scrappy has never been this dirty or grotty looking in his life.  Hubby proudly said Scrappy learnt to dig with his paws and not his nose, like I was supposed to be impressed. 
  Scrappy is normally on a tieout to keep him on the lawn area and out of the mud 

[/QUOTE]
Well u could look at it this way , he looks like he had a ball

·
Registered
841 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Oct 27 2005, 07:16 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114148
[/QUOTE]
Wew
thanks JMM, for a moment there I thought I was being the big bad witch. Summer goes every week I swear she looks all stringy after about 3 days. She's and indoor pup, goes outside to play and check the yard out is about it.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Chelsey is an indoor puppy for now. I give her a bath once a week... two weeks if she is ok.... anything after that is a matt war and she will be dingy... not stinky but as nice looking.

when we used to let her outside to play in the back she would just roll in mud and gets into all kinds of mistif so she was getting a bath like twice a week not even a rince shampoo would help her..
So now we just take her out for walks and back in side , but she mostly says inside.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Originally posted by Scrappy@Oct 27 2005, 09:00 PM
Scrappy is an indoor dog and I agree with K/C's mom you can just tell when they are due for a bath in Scrappy's case he doesn't smell just doesn't look so white anymore.  I bathe once a week thougg there are extenuating circumstances like yesterday I did wonder why I bothered. My husband was in charge can't you tell. 

Scrappy has never been this dirty or grotty looking in his life.  Hubby proudly said Scrappy learnt to dig with his paws and not his nose, like I was supposed to be impressed. 

[/QUOTE]
I would say that Scrappy had a blast digging outside! I bet dad was proud!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I bath Peechie once a week. She never gets stinky. If I wait longer than a week she starts looking dingy. Also she sleeps in our bed at night and I want her to smell fresh
She gets groomed every 2 months.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Valletta goes outside for potty, and I was bathing her every week. Now, though, I've started waiting until every two weeks and I have noticed a tremendous difference in her coat...it matts much less! I think her hair was getting too dried out from all the washing and blow drying. I do wash her paws once a day, as well as her face. I spot clean everything else until bath time.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Ty is bathed every Sat or more frequently if he needs it. Dirty hair mats easily. If you use a moisturinzing shmpoo and conditioner it will not hurt the skin. I cannnot even begin to imagine going so long between baths unless the dog were in a short puppy cut and an inside dog. Other dogs are different. My OES is groomed only weekly and bathed only once a month.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Bijou gets a bath weekly because if there are any tangles they show up more during a bath and I can catch them before they get worse. He goes to the groomer once a month.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Originally posted by Scrappy@Oct 27 2005, 10:00 PM

[/QUOTE]

Scrappy looks just like my puppies when I let my husband take them out for a walk. He will let them roll in the grass and dig and come looking like maltese from outer space (green). Isn't it funny what a silly grin they seem to have? I often wonder if they are just laughing at the expression of temporary shock in our faces! :eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts