• Some are, some aren't.

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crap...I totally forget to research this before tomorrow haha whoops! As in they could microchip Nelson at the same time as his neutering I guess. I guess its cheaper and easier. But since I am still uncertain as to what to do, I think we are going to opt against it for now.
I'm pretty certain this is something they can do a later date, like they don't need to be sedated for that right? Isn't it just a shot? I'd rather study up on it before making a rash decision.

None of my other pets have ever been microchipped. But I think Nelson's breeder recommended it as she has all hers microchipped. I'm just not sure...

So I was wondering what like the percentage of people have their dogs microchipped. It seems to be a growing popular thing. Like when I got my first cat and Andy I'd never even heard of it. And I don't think I even heard of it when I got my 2nd cat. So the vet asked us about Nelson, and we were undecided. So since his neutering is tomrorow morning I don't have time to look anything up about it. So just outta curiousity I was wondering who has it and who doesn't.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I'd definitely get him microchipped at the same time while he's out for his neuter...they use a large bore needle and even though they don't have to be out, why not spare the pain.

I think it's a good idea as a backup in case a collar or whatnot comes off. IMO, I want to take every possibility I can to get my doglets back in the case they somehow get away from me. If something happens, you contact the company and they will post something on the profile so if your dog gets picked up/scanned (at a shelter, for example) they will know he was lost and belongs to someone and not just a wandering stray.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Bisou is micro chipped because: 1. it's a requirement/law to have a pet in Shanghai and 2. a requirement to travel internationally with your pet.

I don't understand what the 'issue' is over it?

Is it because it's painful to insert? (if so then for sure get it when they're getting spayed/neutered etc).

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Bailey is also microchipped. He was already neutered by the rescue before I adopted him, but my vet recommended I wait to get him microchipped until he was down for his dental (had to have some baby teeth removed). According to the vet, the needle used to microchip is big so she always recommends waiting until the dog/cat is under anesthesia. I feel so much more comfortable being out and about with Bailey now because I know if something were to happen, his microchip provides a much more reliable way of identification than his collar/tags which can always come off.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hi I too just got Max fixed and he already had the micro chip when I got him but I would have done it now so he went thru the pain at 8 weeks old not fun. Plus I had to have his baby teeth pulled all 12 of them. Plus if you ever loose him you will be heartbroken, plus the Maltese are very fast and should Nelson take off. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Micky was already microchipped when I got him. So I didn't really have any say in it. I got my cat microchipped last year at the same time she got her shots. She was awake for it and did fine. Since she got her other shots at the same time, it was all kind of one quick procedure. My cat's microchip is with Avid, and Micky's is with 24HourPetWatch or something like that.

I think the only issue is that some people worry that in the long run the chips will cause cancer. But anymore, there are SO many things that might cause cancer, to me, its worth the risk. I'd really hate for either Micky or my cat to go missing and not have that extra security of a chip. Collars with ID tags can fall off or whatever, but a chip can't really go anywhere.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Nikki is not microchipped.

Keiko was microchipped before I got her. The microchip has migrated far from its original injection site.

My dogs are inside dogs.

It is an individual choice, just like vaccinations.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
All four of mine are microchipped.........but it "is" a personal decision.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
MY Quincy was already micro-chipped when he came. Naddie wasn't and I had intended to do so but always seemed to forget when we went to vet for standard visits. I actually wasn't as concerned about her because she was one who never wanted me out of her sight. She didn't even want to go out to potty unless I was 'right-there".

One Sunday, I was doing things downstairs in basement ( rarely do that on Sunday.) Meanwhile, hubby ran out to do errands. Both pooches were upstairs 'hanging-out' . Normally Naddie would come seek me out , then would go back up with Quincy. I hadn't noticed her doing that but didn't think anything of it.
Then, some time after hubby left, I heard a woman's voice calling "hello, anybody home?" at the back door. I go to look and see this stranger holding Naddie! She asked is this your dog?.... I was in shock and wondering why she had my little girl!!!!
She said she had seen her in her yard... the next block over!!!!!! She was working her way back , house to house, from the direction she saw Naddie come, to find her owner.

I would have 'bet the farm' that Naddie would never ever leave the house....much less the property without me! ! I think what happened, she thought I went out when hubby did and ( front screen door had not latched!)... so she went looking for me, not realizing I was actually in the basement!

After that I called vet to have her micro-chipped. I learned "Ya never know!" Both are registered with "Home-Again" and I also signed up to be a 'helper" if any pet is lost in our area. I get notification that there is a lost pet and it gives the info . I in turn try to contact people I know who live in that vincinty.

I've read so many stories of lost pets that were re-united because of the micro-chip.... I'm a strong supporter of it!

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
Mine are.

I chose to get the girls microchipped for saftey.

Milo had to be microchipped as here in Ireland dogs can't be registered if they are not microchipped. I would have gotten him microchipped anyway though.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Benny was micro-chipped at the shelter when we rescued him
last year. Harry has so many health problems that a microchip
is out of the question for him. I wanted to have Teddy
micro-chipped but forgot about it when he was neutered. At
my last vet visit I asked them to do it and they said they'd
rather wait until he is under for a dental or something because
the needle is so large. I really wish that my vet had mentioned
it to me when I brought Teddy in for his neuter... :angry:

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
I am a strong believer in microchipping.

All of my dogs are microchipped. I do not plan on ever being separated from my furkids, but then no one ever really plans on that do they?

·
Super Moderator
10,174 Posts
Yes - and would do it again. Every so often the news carries a story about a pet reunited with its owner because of the chip.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Toto was not microchipped as a pup because his vet at the time didn't have it available (he is 10 years old). Tuffy was chipped during her spay. I expressed my concern to my vet about getting Toto chipped when he wasn't sedated and she convinced me that it wouldn't be painful for him. I watched her do it and he didn't even flinch. It is highly unlikely that either of my dogs would get lost but having them chipped gives me some piece of mind that if it were to occur, I would have a chance of getting them back.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I did not microchip Hunter for the following reasons:

1. there are 5 registries out there and not all vets or shelters subscribe to each one in my area which made it difficult to determine which company to subscribe with.

2. There are many scanners that vets and shelters can purchase and not all can read each chip

3. Neither myhusband nor I are comfortable with inserting a foreign substance into his body that is not medically necessary to improve his quality of life.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I did not microchip Hunter for the following reasons:

1. there are 5 registries out there and not all vets or shelters subscribe to each one in my area which made it difficult to determine which company to subscribe with.

2. There are many scanners that vets and shelters can purchase and not all can read each chip

3. Neither myhusband nor I are comfortable with inserting a foreign substance into his body that is not medically necessary to improve his quality of life.
1. You don't have to subscribe to anything. Each chip number indicates its manufacturing company. This tells us where to call. I can even call the manufacturer and find the vet clinic/shelter the chip was sold to if the owner never registered it.

2. Any vet or shelter can get a UNIVERSAL scanner at little or no cost. The microchip companies WANT them to have this. If your local shelter does not, get them set up!

3. That's a personal decision we each have to make. The chips made these days should not migrate if properly inserted. The risk of cancer cited in some studies is WAY off. There are a few threads on board that address this. Those studies were done in rodents who had an already hugely increased chance of cancer, not in dogs and cats.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
all mine are microchipped, i recommend it to all my patients. i see so many dogs turn up lost...even the toy breeds. it only takes one time to slip through a fence, or dash out a door. we scan every animal that comes into our clinic to check the chip and to inform owners about chips. all my pets are registered at petlink.com 1 has a home again, 2 have avid and the rest have ResQ. our scanner reads all chips.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts