Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Cloud since he was 3 months old and my BF and I researched as much as we could about what breed of dog we wanted, what to expect, etc...But we both were always iffy about neutering or spaying depending upon if we got a boy or a girl. Well Cloud is a boy, of course, and he is now 2 years old. I was looking around on SM and came across a post about neutering and the mention of ages of when to neuter. Does this mean since he is already 2 years old, I've missed that timeframe where I should have neutered him? Or a dog can be neutered at ANY age?

Also, my BF is somewhat against Cloud getting neutered (I guess because its a 'male' thing and he says he doesn't want him to lose his 'manhood'...:HistericalSmiley:) But then I've also read that if you get your pet neutered/spayed they'd live longer lives? I also brought that up with my BF too, but he just finds that to be a bunch of BS, saying that it's probably what they tell people so that it would maybe help with the over population of animals, and how places get over populated with them they have to put them down :bysmilie:...[Since I had lived in California I know that a dog license cost about $100 per dog, and now that I've been living in NYC I only have to pay about $11 for an un-neutered dog.]

Thanks in advance for having the time to read my post and your insight :)

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Hunter was neutered at the age of 6 and he is fine - and trust me, he's still a boy dog!

Dogs needs to be spayed/neutered if they are not going to be used for breeding to ensure that accidental litters are not created or that if your dog gets into the wrong hands a litter is not created by someone looking to make a quick dollar.

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
It isn't too late to neuter. Some people are doing vasectomies. Shocked me the first time I groomed a dog that had been. The owner was a medical person and felt that was best for his dog.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Actually the benefit for male dogs is more so as they reach middle age and can develop prostate problems. So for intact males not used for breeding, it is typically recommended to neuter before about age 6 when the incidence of prostate problems increases. There isn't much true benefit to neutering a male as a pup. Some people claim marking/male behaviors won't happen, but I find that to be more a behavioral issue than anything else. Neutering can help reduce aggression in some cases.
Now this really isn't such a big consideration for our house dogs, but intact males left to roam in certain areas of the country can be at risk for the sexually transmitted disease Brucellosis.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your responses!!

...I just wanted to know about neutering since I feel that if we ever get a female Maltese, I'd want Cloud and her to have ONE litter - to keep, not sell, but depending on how many they can have I'd only give them/sell them to family or close friends (want to try and keep Cloud's 'family' together) - and then neuter him and spay the female. Hopefully if we decide to get another Malt it'll be before Cloud is 6 years old...I just hope he'll live a loooooong time..He's my 'baby'..before the actually kids (f.y.i - not married nor pregnant yet)...I love him so much that I keep telling my BF that I want to pass on his genes before getting him neutered. LOL

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Thanks for all your responses!!

...I just wanted to know about neutering since I feel that if we ever get a female Maltese, I'd want Cloud and her to have ONE litter - to keep, not sell, but depending on how many they can have I'd only give them/sell them to family or close friends (want to try and keep Cloud's 'family' together) - and then neuter him and spay the female. Hopefully if we decide to get another Malt it'll be before Cloud is 6 years old...I just hope he'll live a loooooong time..He's my 'baby'..before the actually kids (f.y.i - not married nor pregnant yet)...I love him so much that I keep telling my BF that I want to pass on his genes before getting him neutered. LOL
Please do not take this the wrong way but this is a completely inappropriate reason to not neuter your dog. Only those dogs that are judged to be great representations of the Maltese breed should ever be kept unaltered and used for breeding purposes. If you breed Cloud you would be taking on the unglorious title of a "Back Yard Breeder" and these individuals are not well thought of on this forum or in the general public.

Please take Cloud to be altered immediatly and erase any ideas from your head about breeding him to any future female maltese you might own or any other maltese for that matter. You would be doing such a disservice to Cloud to keep him unaltered for such a selfish purpose. Trust me - he doesn't care about passing on his 'genes' and neither should you. You should simply enjoy his companionship.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Please do not take this the wrong way but this is a completely inappropriate reason to not neuter your dog. Only those dogs that are judged to be great representations of the Maltese breed should ever be kept unaltered and used for breeding purposes. If you breed Cloud you would be taking on the unglorious title of a "Back Yard Breeder" and these individuals are not well thought of on this forum or in the general public.

Please take Cloud to be altered immediatly and erase any ideas from your head about breeding him to any future female maltese you might own or any other maltese for that matter. You would be doing such a disservice to Cloud to keep him unaltered for such a selfish purpose. Trust me - he doesn't care about passing on his 'genes' and neither should you. You should simply enjoy his companionship.
Erin, that was beautifully said. I don't think I could be so diplomatic so I am going to try to keep quiet! :innocent:

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If you want to breed your male, you will need to ensure he first has the following things:
His AKC Championship (or applicable title depending on your country of residence)
OFA Patella Clearance
Bile acid assay
CERF/ACVO normal eye exam
OFA heart clearance is always a good idea
OFA Thyroid clearance

If you were to purchase a female, she would need the same items and be 2 years of age. If you are not an experience breeder and fancier, it would be very wise to get a good mentor. You can't just put any 2 dogs together and produce a happy, healthy pup within the standard.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you want to breed your male, you will need to ensure he first has the following things:
His AKC Championship (or applicable title depending on your country of residence)
OFA Patella Clearance
Bile acid assay
CERF/ACVO normal eye exam
OFA heart clearance is always a good idea
OFA Thyroid clearance
When should these test be done on a fluff? I know the bile acid is 6 months. I am not planning to breed my baby but would like to have all the testing done anyway.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Patellas 12 months if you want the OFA. Your regular vet can tell you the status as soon as you bring your pup home.
The heart is not the echo, only the auscultation. Your regular vet would hear a genetic problem (PDA). Seeing a cardiologist (unless you need the paper for clearance), is not terribly necessary.
Eye exam at any time ?(if your dog has no problems and is not being bred, this is not necessary...the things in Maltese would be eyelash/lid abnormalities)
Thyroid depends on who you ask...I find most in other breeds test around breeding age (2 years). On my pets, I do a baseline around then. I don't send it to OFA.

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts

:goodpost:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Emmy, I know what they're saying may seem harsh to you, but if you hang around breeders and rescues long enough, you would understand why they are so adamant about this. They SEE what happens when you breed 'pet quality' dogs. They don't MEAN to sound rude.

A lot of times problems arise from dogs that have 'bad breeding' in their lines (and unless you got him from a breeder who shows or has dogs from champion lines, chances are your dog doesn't have 'quality' genes ...for lack of a better term...) Their point is that if you breed him, the same problems will continue down the line...and maybe HE came from someone that decided one day to breed THEIR dog because he was cute... can you see the pattern? It will just keep going with people just breeding their dogs.

I agree with what they say, have him neutered and tell your boyfriend to shove it, he's your dog ;) lol it really IS better for their health and a lot of times it mellows them out as well (if that's even possible with him lol)

If you want another dog, check into rescues. There are TONS of malts out there waiting for someone to take them home!! (I would have more if I didn't already have 5 dogs...)

(((HUG)))
I hope the reactions to your post doesn't make you angry. You didn't know, and that's ok. Now you do ;) Its all about the health of the dogs, and to prevent over population...that's all. It's not a personal attack, k? :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Emmy, I know what they're saying may seem harsh to you, but if you hang around breeders and rescues long enough, you would understand why they are so adamant about this. They SEE what happens when you breed 'pet quality' dogs. They don't MEAN to sound rude.

A lot of times problems arise from dogs that have 'bad breeding' in their lines (and unless you got him from a breeder who shows or has dogs from champion lines, chances are your dog doesn't have 'quality' genes ...for lack of a better term...) Their point is that if you breed him, the same problems will continue down the line...and maybe HE came from someone that decided one day to breed THEIR dog because he was cute... can you see the pattern? It will just keep going with people just breeding their dogs.

I agree with what they say, have him neutered and tell your boyfriend to shove it, he's your dog lol it really IS better for their health and a lot of times it mellows them out as well (if that's even possible with him lol)

If you want another dog, check into rescues. There are TONS of malts out there waiting for someone to take them home!! (I would have more if I didn't already have 5 dogs...)

(((HUG)))
I hope the reactions to your post doesn't make you angry. You didn't know, and that's ok. Now you do Its all about the health of the dogs, and to prevent over population...that's all. It's not a personal attack, k?
Thanks Cheri..I didn't find it rude or that they were trying to 'attack' me, I'm glad I'm getting information about this type of things because I really don't know what's considered ) to be a 'backyard breeder', 'puppy mill', etc (ALL the descriptions that are considered to be BYB/PM). I just know those things are bad and have bad environments for animals...It did make me sad though to read about the comments...I would never want to breed Cloud to sell and make any profit off of it. I just kind of thought if Cloud was to ever pass, there would still be a part of him with his offsprings that would be with me...Also, if we were going to get a female, I was definitely looking into rescues...

It did kind of make me tear eyed to read though..

·
Registered
744 Posts
Thanks Cheri..I didn't find it rude or that they were trying to 'attack' me, I'm glad I'm getting information about this type of things because I really don't know what's considered ) to be a 'backyard breeder', 'puppy mill', etc (ALL the descriptions that are considered to be BYB/PM). I just know those things are bad and have bad environments for animals...It did make me sad though to read about the comments...I would never want to breed Cloud to sell and make any profit off of it. I just kind of thought if Cloud was to ever pass, there would still be a part of him with his offsprings that would be with me...Also, if we were going to get a female, I was definitely looking into rescues...

It did kind of make me tear eyed to read though..
Glad to hear it :) I knew they weren't attacking you, but sometimes people see it as that because they don't want to hear what they're saying.
And rescues btw will never give you a dog that isn't spayed or neutered.
:)
I understand what you mean about wanting a piece of cloud after he passes. It makes me sad to think about not having Vi around too. But one day it will happen no matter what. That's reality. But you know, I think no matter what, I enjoy my days with her and no other dog could ever replace what we have together, related or not. And I would get another malt, but not as a replacement by any means, but as a new journey ;) That's how you should look at it. Just make every day with him count ;)
And I'm happy to see that you are a responsible owner who can hear the truth and accept it :)

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts

(((HUG)))
I hope the reactions to your post doesn't make you angry. You didn't know, and that's ok. Now you do ;) Its all about the health of the dogs, and to prevent over population...that's all. It's not a personal attack, k? :)
I didn't think my post was harsh nor do I feel it sounded rude. Perhaps I am wrong but I really hope this post wasn't geared towards me comment. I also don't think JMMs post was either of these things - it just stated what would need to be done if breeding as something this person was interested in doing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts