Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to stop eating products containing wheat and gluten. The problem i'm having is what do i eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and 2 snacks. I don't like to cook and tend to eat on the go all the time because i'm not a good morning person and get up at the last possible minute to get ready for work, feed the pups and play with them. I could use some suggestions and advice on how to eat properly for all my meals that doesn't involve alot of preperation. I'm emabarrased to admit it, but my husband calls me the fast food queen. :brownbag:

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I keep oatmeal at work and have it every morning..I love salad
so on Sunday I fix my salad in individual cotainers the add my
protein the night before. In the morning I grab it with some fruit.
For dinner usually a protein and vegtable. Every once in a while
pasta and some potatoes. My husband is the fast food King.:HistericalSmiley:
I try so hard to get him to eat heathly.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'm trying the south beach diet right now and I eat no wheat.
Some of the food I eat are: cheesestrings, laughing cow cream cheese, eggs (yum)
low fat yogourt, cottage cheese, salad, chicken, tuna and jello.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I would love to cut out all grains from my diet at some point, but right now I need to focus on one tiny step at a time and that would just make me give up.

If you enjoy burgers, tacos, etc instead of the buns & tortillas you can just use lettuce to wrap them in. The best thing you can have for breakfast is probably veggie omelettes, just buy the egg whites in the carton at the store, either buy precut veggies like bell peppers, onion, add spinach leaves, & you can also add a slice of turkey bacon or other protein. For snacks, probably fruit is the best option.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Its actually quite easy Debbie! Do you have a whole foods or a healthy eating aisle in your grocery store? You may have one and not know it! There are many companies that make gluten free muffin and other baked goods mixes. Just make those once a week and you can grab one as you go out the door. They are realy yummy and I have never noticed the difference.

For lunch, there are gluten free breads, you can also look into pastas that are gluten free (make the night before and pack for the day). I really love making taco salads - they are so filling and I don't notice that I am missing the bread - I don't do the shell because they don't travel to work well.

Dinners, there are gluten free bread crumbs you can buy so you can still do breaded baked chicken or pork chops. Toss the breaded chicken in with some gluten free pasta and you have a great chicken parm dish. Or try a litte eggplant - YUM!

For snacks - the options are endless, fruit, veggies, gluten-free snacks, nuts, whatever you want really!

Stay away from beer - full of grains! Some wines also have gluten in them as do makeup and other beauty products. If you want more tips, google "gluten free diet tips" and so many threads will come up!

Eliminating wheat is hard but all gluten products are incredibly difficult in the beginning but it does get easier (PS. TGI Fridays has a gluten free menu - just ask for it!)

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you ladies. Erin unfortunately we don't have a whole foods in our part of Florida if they even have a Whole Foods in Florida, i sure wish they did. Erin you also gave me some really great tips and i'm going to check out the gluten free muffin mixes at Publix. I bought some gluten free bread, but have been too chicken to try it. Fortunately i'm not one too drink, if i have a drink once in a years time that's a big deal.
I've been using Aubrey Orgaincs skin care and i don't think it has gluten and just started using Jane Iredales cosmetics which has no gluten except for the mascara.
Again thank you all for the great tips.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
i don't eat any grains at all. for me, giving up all grains was easier than trying to figure out which ones have gluten in them. for breakfast i will have either

- a hardboiled egg (i always have them in the fridge),
- plain goats milk yogurt (full fat) with coconut chips and almond slivers, or
- "no oat" oatmeal, recipe here. i'm not crazy about cinnamon/nutmeg/ginger so i substitute with cocoa powder and shredded coconut - YUMMY!!! especially if i am super naughty and also have home made whipped cream on top...what a way to start the day, though. :)

there are a lot of really good recipes on marksdailyapple.com.

oh, sometimes i make the lemon & cranberry muffins with almond flour that suzan posted some time ago. they are delicious! but i use goji berries and coconut chips instead of cranberries. hth :)

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I am glad you posted. I have been trying to not have wheat for a while now, I am finding it really hard, but am getting more motivated. I had some pancakes without thinking a couple of days ago and got a terrible sinus headache straight away.

That non-oatmeal sounds really nice.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Oatmeal (Oats) have gluten in them.

You might have to change your mindset. Most people who avoid gluten have found that using baking mixes are the best way to go. Many of the Pamela's and Namaste mixes are easy to use and the end result tastes better than store bought products. (Not to mention the price.) I don't deduct my food on my income tax returns, but some people do. If you are diagnosed with Celiac Disease, you can deduct your food as a medical expense.

If you have a Kroger near you, they have some gluten-free products. Many people order online from Gluten Free Mall, or Kinnikinnick. If you don't want to go grain-free, then try Kinnikinnick's carrot/pineapple muffins. You can order them online or find them at a health food store. I know you are not too near Pensacola, but the health food store in downtown Pensacola has gluten-free stuff.

You really need to go online and check out one of the gluten-free forums. They have tons of recipes and suggestions from thousands of people who have been doing this for a long time.

glutenfree.com - Celiac Disease Forums - :: Index
Gluten Free and Beyond Forums :: Index
Blog: CeliacChicks

I don't do grains 90% of the time. I have found that there is too much cross-contamination, and I prefer a low-carb diet because I feel better while cutting out grains and my health is much better, too.

I eat fruit, nuts, and veggies, along with meat/fish/eggs. I don't eat grains, except for rice about once a month, usually in soup. Once in a while, I'll eat a prepared pizza made with tapioca flour from a company called Products | Against The Grain Gourmet

For breakfast, I have hard-boiled eggs or an omelet, fruit, and yogurt (yogurt only once in a while. I am allergic to milk.) sometimes crushed nuts, or almond butter and an apple.

For lunch, I have a salad with bacon, or chicken or tuna, and lots of veggies.

For dinner, I have a meat/fish, veggies, and a salad.

Snacks are either fruit, or cheese, or nuts, or lunch meat, or celery with almond butter.

It takes time to get used to a totally different diet, but it can be done. Just be patient. You will have to try different things to see what works for you. Fast food is too cross-contaminated for gluten-sensitive people. The fries are cooked in the same oil as the chicken fingers and onion rings - which are coated with flour. The oils are cross-contaminated. More often than not, if you ask for a burger without the bun, they put the bun on the burger, then remove it later. - More cross contamination. For fast food type places, Five Guys burgers is safe, as well as Chipotle. PF Chang's has a great GF menu.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I believe moderation is key. I don't have a gluten intolerance or Celiac disease. So I don't avoid glutens, but I eat primarily whole foods. I eat anything I want and have stayed at 100 pounds without any exercise aside from walking. Here's what I eat:

Breakfast: 2 eggs and bacon with fat cooked off
Lunch: Baked chicken breast, fruit bowl
Dinner: Cold water fish or scallops or chicken and lots of veggies
Snacks: Lots and lots of fruits, dried fruits, nuts, yogurt, roasted peppers, tomatoes w/ basil

But if I have a craving, I will absolutely eat everything "bad" including desserts, candy, rice, chocolate, pizza, a burger once in a while, etc. I don't feel spectacular after eating pasta, so I'm lucky that I don't like pasta very much. I think if you don't have a specific reason to, then don't deprive yourself entirely of something you crave badly because the craving will come back bigger and bite you in the butt later. Just have a few bites instead of the whole thing.

Have you tried Bare Fruit Apple Chips? They are delicious! Also, Sahale cashews and almonds are really good snacks on the go if you are starving! They are a little pricey, but I hear they can be found at Costco now.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I'm not sure why you're wanting to do this. Do you have a wheat or gluten intolerance ... or Celiac disease? There was a story on The Today Show today about gluten. This link will take you directly to the story/video.

NBC.com - News & Sports - NBC Official Site

Unfortunately, for the millions of people who really suffer, it is not a fad. The only reason why it is in the news is because a celebrity - Elizabeth Hasselback (sp?) wrote a book, and other famous people are doing it. Most people who are gluten intolerant don't lose weight when they cut out gluten. The wheat is replaced by other carbs/grains that have as many calories, and are high on the glycemic index.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
I've been gluten free for about a month. I have to admit I'm feeling so much better. Much more energy then I've had in a very long time. It's helping with my GERD. I still get mild heartburn if I wait too long to eat. Thankfully I've not had any of those horrible heart attack type reactions! But if I eat some protein, that usually takes care of the burning. Snacking on nuts does not seem to help with the heartburn btw. I've found that the best things for me for breakfast and snacks are yogurt (LOVE Greek Gods Honey Yogurt YUM!) and add some fruit, cottage cheese and hard boiled eggs. However this past week I've been doing a protein fruit smoothie by Dr. Oz that really keeps me full and the heart burn away for almost 6 hours. 8 oz. of any fruit juice, 1/3 cup any type of berries, 2 T. Whey Powder, 2 T. Flax Seed, 1 T. Chia Seeds, 1 T. Ground Psyllium. I omitted the Wheat Germ. You can blend in some ice cubes too. He says to open a Fish Oil Cap and blend it in the drink but I've not done that. Don't know why you can't just swallow the Fish Oil Cap? Don't think I'll do this in the winter though.

For lunches I usually do chicken salad or hard boiled eggs or sometimes I'll make them into deviled eggs. Lunch is pretty challenging for me here at the store because I don't take a lunch break and need stuff I can just munch on.

So this is my problem. I've always known I can't do too much dairy or I get that dry tickle in my throat that makes you cough and your eyes water. But now that I've been wheat free for about a month, I've found I'm beginning to have a much stronger reaction to dairy. After my smoothie this morning, I was sneezing, my nose was watering and I was coughing for about an hour. Why on earth would eliminating one intolerance make another even worse? This makes it even more challenging. Giving up wheat was one thing. But dairy? I love my greek yogurt and cream in my coffee! :smcry:

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I've been gluten free for about a month. I have to admit I'm feeling so much better. Much more energy then I've had in a very long time. It's helping with my GERD. I still get mild heartburn if I wait too long to eat. Thankfully I've not had any of those horrible heart attack type reactions! But if I eat some protein, that usually takes care of the burning. Snacking on nuts does not seem to help with the heartburn btw. I've found that the best things for me for breakfast and snacks are yogurt (LOVE Greek Gods Honey Yogurt YUM!) and add some fruit, cottage cheese and hard boiled eggs. However this past week I've been doing a protein fruit smoothie by Dr. Oz that really keeps me full and the heart burn away for almost 6 hours. 8 oz. of any fruit juice, 1/3 cup any type of berries, 2 T. Whey Powder, 2 T. Flax Seed, 1 T. Chia Seeds, 1 T. Ground Psyllium. I omitted the Wheat Germ. You can blend in some ice cubes too. He says to open a Fish Oil Cap and blend it in the drink but I've not done that. Don't know why you can't just swallow the Fish Oil Cap? Don't think I'll do this in the winter though.

For lunches I usually do chicken salad or hard boiled eggs or sometimes I'll make them into deviled eggs. Lunch is pretty challenging for me here at the store because I don't take a lunch break and need stuff I can just munch on.

So this is my problem. I've always known I can't do too much dairy or I get that dry tickle in my throat that makes you cough and your eyes water. But now that I've been wheat free for about a month, I've found I'm beginning to have a much stronger reaction to dairy. After my smoothie this morning, I was sneezing, my nose was watering and I was coughing for about an hour. Why on earth would eliminating one intolerance make another even worse? This makes it even more challenging. Giving up wheat was one thing. But dairy? I love my greek yogurt and cream in my coffee! :smcry:
Casein (milk protein) and gluten grains (wheat/rye/oat/barley proteins) are very similar proteins. (They have and opiate-like effect on the body - hence the term "carb-addiction.") The majority of people who are gluten intolerant show at least some sensitivity to casein, and some are full-blown casein intolerant as well.

Because you are cutting out wheat gluten your body is probably revealing your sensitivity to casein. In order to de-sensitize, cutting down on dairy for a few months will help. It usually can be re-introduced after your body detoxes from gluten grains.

I have a mild casein intolerance, but I am still able to use cream in my coffee, because there is not much casein in cream. But I only eat other dairy products occasionally, about 2X a month. Cultured products like yogurt and cultured butter do not cause much of a reaction, but I still limit them. Cheese is VERY high in casein, so if you think that you might have a casein intolerance, cheese will give you a reaction.

I often substitute coconut milk for cow's milk in recipes, and I will sometimes eat goat cheese (chevre or true feta) or sheep milk cheese (like pecorino romano) They do not seem to bother me, as they have a different casein structure than cow's milk.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
A nutritionist would help, but there really is a lot of info on the Gluten Intolerance/Celiac forums that is very good and accurate.

I've been gluten free for a year now, and I lost some weight initially, but I also cut out grains/sugars/legumes about 90%.

The big differences in my health are - I no longer have GERD, joint aches, or exhaustion. My hubby is also gluten intolerant and he had terrible dermatitis - Since cutting out gluten, he hasn't had any skin issues except a sensitivity to some paints he uses for work. He's happy that he no longer has to use steroid cream on his skin.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Oh I hope I can have dairy again! That sounds hopeful. I've never done much dairy. Rarely ever do I eat just cheese. But I have started to eat cottage cheese more since cutting out wheat.

So do you think I can still have some cream in my coffee in the morning if I cut out all the other dairy for a few months? And the Whey Protein is what really affected me this morning. I hope they have maybe Soy Protein Powder or another type of Protein Powder I can use when I go to the health food store.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
A nutritionist would help, but there really is a lot of info on the Gluten Intolerance/Celiac forums that is very good and accurate.

I've been gluten free for a year now, and I lost some weight initially, but I also cut out grains/sugars/legumes about 90%.

The big differences in my health are - I no longer have GERD, joint aches, or exhaustion. My hubby is also gluten intolerant and he had terrible dermatitis - Since cutting out gluten, he hasn't had any skin issues except a sensitivity to some paints he uses for work. He's happy that he no longer has to use steroid cream on his skin.
Oh gosh I have to say I've really noticed a change in my skin since going wheat free!

I don't think doing a gluten free diet will help at all with weight loss unless you are trying to lose weight. You can still totally pig out on gluten free things....like perhaps meringue cookies. Not that I would know about that first hand. :whistle:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts