Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

to trim lower, inner eye hair or not

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been torn about trimming the inner, lower eye hair. My vet thinks it's a good idea b/c it's easier to keep the area clean and dry. With her advice I have kept the area trimmed. I still wonder if I'm doing the right thing, so I wanted to know what everyone else thinks.

a] yes, I trim the area
b] nope, I prefer it long

[I don't know how to do a poll, but I'm giving it a go. If it doesn't work my apologies :embarrassed:

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Do you mean the inside of the lower eye??? Oh gosh, if that is true, the way mine jerk around, I would probably stab their little eyeball~~~~I am guilty of trimming hair around the inner eye on the outside. I know some people don't like that but I do.............

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I think she means the hair at the inner corner of the eyes, Dianne. Yes, where you trim. Inner meaning not the sides of the eyes near the ears. Inner meaning the corners between eyes.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you mean the inside of the lower eye??? Oh gosh, if that is true, the way mine jerk around, I would probably stab their little eyeball~~~~I am guilty of trimming hair around the inner eye on the outside. I know some people don't like that but I do.............
No, I mean outside the eye on the lower, inner eye area

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I mean outside the eye on the lower, inner eye area
Sorry, I should have worded it better. I told you I wasn't good at this poll stuff, :blink: LOL

·
Registered
847 Posts
leila came to me with that hair trimmed, but i prefer it long, so i'm growing it. for now, it's taking a lot of vigilance to keep it out of her eyes, but it's almost long enough now where it stays out of the way. i'm shocked leila ever stayed still for her eye hair to be trimmed safely.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder how long it would take to grow? And how do you keep it out of their eyes while it grows?

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I wonder how long it would take to grow? And how do you keep it out of their eyes while it grows?
A few months at least! We just tried to tolerate it somehow..but be patient and it'll be there. I think it took Bisou around 4/5 months for it to happen. here she is during this time! yikes. Somedays I tried to pat it down but mainly I just let it be.

·
Premium Member
24,033 Posts
Well I just recently started trimming closer around the eye, muzzle area. As some SM members know we had a terrible staining problem. When I got Tyler he was trimmed and no tears (at 8 months). I then let it grow out for the past 5 months. When I went to the vet she said that his hair was poking into his eyes and causing the tearing. She suggested I cut it. I had also sent a photo to Chris and he said it looked like the hairs were causing the problem. I tried Tylan from the vet for several weeks and that didn't work. Then I got him trimmed and I have to say his eyes aren't tearing like they were. They look big and bright and stray hair free. The tears aren't pooling or streaking like they were. My groomer (who lives in my building) trims him and he stays completely still. We're all happy right now so I'm staying with that. That's what worked for us.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seriously, why would anyone start cutting those little hairs? Just ANOTHER thing to groom bi-weekly! :smilie_tischkante: LOL
The vet suggested it because the tearing leads to wet hair and then causes bacterial infection. Dixie has had a couple of those now. I have kept the area trimmed. I wash her eyes AND DRY THE AREA every morning. I want to grow it out but worry it will be a health issue. No one else has this problem with tearing and untrimmed hair?

·
Registered
361 Posts
The vet suggested it because the tearing leads to wet hair and then causes bacterial infection. Dixie has had a couple of those now. I have kept the area trimmed. I wash her eyes AND DRY THE AREA every morning. I want to grow it out but worry it will be a health issue. No one else has this problem with tearing and untrimmed hair?
that's what my vet told me also so I ask the groomer to trim it.... when she had long hair that area was all wet, when it was trimmed it was dry... now she has it long, she has never had an infection, I clean her eyes every day, with a wet cotton ball, then I dry it with a towel and finally I brush her... as I told you before she has never had an infection and doesn't have that area stained also... but if your pup has had a couple of infections maybe it will be better to maintain the area short, just my opinion....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.