Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I buy tofu now, I have to buy for three. They go crazy over it, especially Sir N. He'd gladly eat the entire package if I let him. Little C is getting more and more interested in it; apparently it's an acquired taste for her. Regardless, Sir N knows what the tofu packages look like and when one comes out of the fridge, he gets just as happy as he does when we're about to leave for a walk. And yeah, I know that some people believe that soy causes tear staining, but from what I've read, that only happens in dogs that are allergic to it. Both of my dogs have pure white faces.

Now their newest thing is crunching on uncooked pasta. The other day, I was dropping some into the boiling water when I accidentally stuck the tips of my fingers INTO the water. OUCH! Pasta went everywhere. Sir N ran from piece to piece chomping down as fast as he could. Little C ran from piece to piece stuffing her mouth as full as she could and then ran off to hid and munch on her loot. I thought that this was a one time, weird thing. But no, today I cooked pasta again and I broke one piece in half and gave them each half. They went nuts again. They prefer it to popcorn! They are weird!

And now, Sir N has decided that he likes dried cherries.
He chews on each piece so much that his mouth gets kinda red and look like he has been chewing on Little C.

And then there are the fingernail clippings and dog toenail clippings that get hoovered up by Little C. Not to mention the snotty tissues. And she's not shy about going after any boogers she suspects might be hiding waaaaay back in my nose.

With all this other stuff they eat, it's a wonder that they ever eat their own meals. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
Originally posted by NC's Mom@Apr 9 2005, 11:07 PM
Whenever I buy tofu now, I have to buy for three.  They go crazy over it, especially Sir N.  He'd gladly eat the entire package if I let him.  Little C is getting more and more interested in it; apparently it's an acquired taste for her.  Regardless, Sir N knows what the tofu packages look like and when one comes out of the fridge, he gets just as happy as he does when we're about to leave for a walk. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51040
[/QUOTE]


Awwwww, that's SO CUTE!!!
I can totally see them going crazy. :lol: How did u introduce tofu to them???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did I introduce tofu? Well, one day Sir N was guarding the floor while I was cooking and I dropped a piece of tofu. I didn't tell him to leave it because I didn't think he'd eat it and figured that if he did, it wouldn't hurt him. He ate it and LOVED it. Lately, since I'm hoping to turn the dogs vegan, I've been letting them try all kinds of things: only whole foods though...nothing with chemicals or preservatives.

And now, I know how to make a cake for them. Shape a piece of tofu in a cake-like shape. Stick dry spaghetti noodles in it to look like candles. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast to make it look like it was frosted. Totally healthy birthday cake! :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Originally posted by NC's Mom@Apr 10 2005, 05:01 AM
And now, I know how to make a cake for them.  Shape a piece of tofu in a cake-like shape.  Stick dry spaghetti noodles in it to look like candles.  Sprinkle with nutritional yeast to make it look like it was frosted.  Totally healthy birthday cake!  :D :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51064
[/QUOTE]
Eh, that's a cool idea, but I don't think dogs can eat yeast NC's mom.
http://www.jeanesholistics.com/ArtYeast.html

But that's really cute how they ate the pasta. Tyler would have to sniff it first to make sure it's safe!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Originally posted by NC's Mom@Apr 10 2005, 09:01 AM
How did I introduce tofu?  Well, one day Sir N was guarding the floor while I was cooking and I dropped a piece of tofu.  I didn't tell him to leave it because I didn't think he'd eat it and figured that if he did, it wouldn't hurt him.  He ate it and LOVED it.  Lately, since I'm hoping to turn the dogs vegan, I've been letting them try all kinds of things:  only whole foods though...nothing with chemicals or preservatives.

And now, I know how to make a cake for them.  Shape a piece of tofu in a cake-like shape.  Stick dry spaghetti noodles in it to look like candles.  Sprinkle with nutritional yeast to make it look like it was frosted.  Totally healthy birthday cake!  :D :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51064
[/QUOTE]

When wild dogs or wolves make a kill the first part of the kill they go for is the stomach they love that, well you get the idea, so unlike cats vegies are right at the top of their dinner menu, and I have not seen anything to say that vegies are bad for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps you didn't see the word "nutritional" in front of the word "yeast"? Nutritional yeast is not only very good for humans, but it's also very good for dogs. There is a big difference between the yeast that we eat and a yeast infection. If you have ever, in your life, eaten bread, that you have MOST LIKELY eaten yeast as very few recipes DON'T call for it. Now, nutritional yeast is something you can sprinkle on your food to give it a slight cheesy favor. It is chock full of nutrients and vitamins.



Oh, yeah, veggies. Sir N has been eating veggies for years. Little C, however, is the very picture of a little kid who won't eat even a bit of the veggies on her plate at dinner time.
She's very finicky.
Sometimes I can trick her into eating some if I give her baby food.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
NC's Mom,

So, since I read ur post I was curious to see if Princess would like tofu. OMG~ she went crazy. Now tofu is one of her fav food.....
Maybe others should try it too!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,597 Posts
I have not found a Veggie Teddy does not like...he does lima beans, green beans, aspargus, brocoli, cauliflower, peas, carrots, etc.

He is not gung ho on spinach but will eat it.

He also likes cantalope, watermellon...etc.

S
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top