Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading several posts on the MO board about toilet paper rolls as toys, I let Brinkley play with one. He loves them. When they would get pretty chewy, I would throw them out. Well, today, he decided to not only chew/chase it, but to eat/swallow it as well. He was in the kitchen as I was busy paying bills and I heard him hacking...I went in there and he was drinking watter like mad, and then hacking most of it back up. He did this several times until I took the water up and held him on his back in my lap. I could tell his tummy was tight and something was not right with him. Suddenly he threw up everywhere...water and cardboard pieces....yuck...
So I put him back down, and he went back to the water...and kept doing the drink alot/hack it up thing. I finally called the vet's office, and luckily he was there walking dogs. He said to go ahead and bring him in. I did and he checked him out and said he seemed to be ok. He gave him some hydrogen peroxide to make him throw up some more...(never heard of that)...in a few minutes he did...more cardboard...He also gave him a shot of some tummy feel better stuff that burned when it went in. He was NOT happy about the shot...he is droopy now, but his tummy feels back to normal to the touch. Scared the poo out of me!!!
Anyway, my lesson learned here is NO toilet paper rolls...(at least in our house for toys)...if you are going to let yours play with them, I would suggest only under supervision...my mistake was that I left it with him in his play room where I did not SEE him eating it.
Hopefully no harm is done, and he will be fine, but a good lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
OMG! I was so scared for you!

Thanks for this post. Earlier, I let Paris have a little fun with the roll but I saw that it was pretty soft and then I threw it out. He was mad because he was just getting into the fun of chewing on it... but now I'm glad I did throw it out!

I've kept a constant vigil (for lack of better term) over him because I don't want him to be hurt. I'm so tired... is this what being a baby's mommy is all about?

I barely got any sleep because I was worried about him. He slept fine though... :D

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have found that having a new pup is much like when my kids were first born. I have slept some better this week, but the first few weeks when we had him, I slept very light. Now I know he can't jump off my bed, and I sleep better. He sleeps through the night at the foot of our bed. But the constant watching etc. is JUST like when my kids were very small. It was def. my ignorance for letting the roll stay in the kitchen with him. Lesson learned. Hope he is back to himself in the morning. The shot he gave him must have made him groggy.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Wow that is scary!

Tiki's favorite toy is toilet paper rolls...He has never eaten them though; now I will make sure he only plays with those while being supervised.

Thanks for the post and please keep us posted on Brinkley's recovery.

Judi

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm glad he was okay!

I never let Casper have toilet paper rolls, but when I have to go somewhere Casper can't, my parents watch him. They always give him toilet paper rolls( even though I bring him 5 toys, his water and food bowl, two blankets, his bed, a brush, and any info they might need for the vet- all this for 3 hours!
). I always tell them not to, so next time maybe they won't!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whew!...he seems to be back to normal this morning...thank goodness. The shot made him sleepy last night, but this morning he is back to his normal self-but I was really worried there for a bit. Thanks for your concern.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
geeez...im so glad your dog feel a lot better.
im a little anal on what the dogs can have. lol. i think the only reason i didnt give them t.p. rolls is because we have gruffi...he eats everythign. i used to give the girls water bottles to play with....with little treats in the bottle....so when it rolled-treats would come out. now with gruff---they cant get that.

anyway, thanks for sharing your story.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts