Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My Mikey is a little over 6 months old now. I noticed today that some of his teeth are "doubled up"....like 2 teeth where one is right in front of the other. It looks like his adult teeth came in but his baby teeth didn't come out.
I see this on a set on the top and a set on the bottom. And none of the teeth seem to be loose. Do I have reason to be concerned? Or is this something that sometimes happens? I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to their baby also. My hubby keeps calling Mikey "Jaws" since sharks have the 2 rows of teeth.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Have you had Mikey neutered yet? I just called my vet to get their take on the spay procedure and pulling remaining baby teeth, and they do it then also. I wouldnt put it off too long. From their web site:

"Also, if you adopt a puppy or kitten and notice that his/her baby teeth haven't fallen out within six months of age, seek professional help. This is not a common problem, but it can be serious when it does occur, since the retained baby teeth can cause misaligned permanent teeth and periodontal disease, neither of which your pet will enjoy."

My Phoebe, also 6 months, is having a hard time with those teeth right now so I am going through this too! I cant wait until its over with.

good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, no, he hasn't been neutered yet. I plan on having it done this month. I'll go ahead and ask my vet about it and see if that is something that they can take care of when I have the neutering done. Thanks so much for the replies.

Good luck to Phoebe, too!

Caesar's Mommie, did Caesar's teeth fall out on their own? Or did his get pulled? Just curious.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by MikeyandMe@May 3 2005, 12:51 PM
Actually, no, he hasn't been neutered yet.  I plan on having it done this month.  I'll go ahead and ask my vet about it and see if that is something that they can take care of when I have the neutering done.  Thanks so much for the replies. 

Good luck to Phoebe, too!

Caesar's Mommie, did Caesar's teeth fall out on their own?  Or did his get pulled?  Just curious. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59273
[/QUOTE]
Yes, they all fell out on their own.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sisse will have her remaining baby teeth pulled when she has her spay done this month. Most all of hers came out on their own, there are only 4 they see as being a problem and not coming without help!!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
He should have the baby teeth pulled when he is neutered. Having 2 rows of teeth can move the adult teeth to odd angles and cause them to puncture the roof or base of the mouth. Also, it is a trap for all sorts of bacteria and food particles so can really increase the dental disease.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My baby Cha Cha is 5 and 1/2 months old now. She has not lost ANY baby teeth yet. She is a TINY, TINY, maltese, so my vet is telling me that she will mature VERY SLOWLY. He will not even spay her until she is at least over 1 year old at best.......

Jellybn1

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Catcher had two rows of the front pointed teeth (forgot what they are called) and the vet didn't pull them during his neutering. But at about 10 months old, they finally fell out... The vet didn't think they would. I had gotten him an edible Nylabone and he was chewing like crazy on it... it was after that that I noticed the baby teeth were gone!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies.
I guess the best thing for me to do is to have my vet take a look at the teeth and see what he suggests. The teeth that are doubled up are his front pointer teeth also (canines?). On the top and bottom. I know I'll be glad when they are gone though....they are so sharp! ouch! :eek:

·
Registered
894 Posts
Just a side note: Sis just lost another tooth last night, she was chewing on a nyla bone and her chew was all bloody. The tooth (looked like a back one) was laying on the floor. Her breath has been SOOOOOO bad lately. I brush her teeth at night, but to no avail, she still is stinky!! She hates greenies, so I don't know what else to do with her breath......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@May 4 2005, 12:58 PM
Just a side note:  Sis just lost another tooth last night, she was chewing on a nyla bone and her chew was all bloody.  The tooth (looked like a back one) was laying on the floor.  Her breath has been SOOOOOO bad lately.  I brush her teeth at night, but to no avail, she still is stinky!!  She hates greenies, so I don't know what else to do with her breath......

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59704
[/QUOTE]

Ouch for poor Sis! But, atleast that another tooth down!

And maybe her breath will improve as the teething stops. I noticed Mikey's breath gets pretty bad too.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@May 4 2005, 11:58 AM
Just a side note:  Sis just lost another tooth last night, she was chewing on a nyla bone and her chew was all bloody.  The tooth (looked like a back one) was laying on the floor.  Her breath has been SOOOOOO bad lately.  I brush her teeth at night, but to no avail, she still is stinky!!  She hates greenies, so I don't know what else to do with her breath......

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59704
[/QUOTE]

These last couple of days Phoebe has some nasty pizza too!!! I know its those two in the back. Either holding food or rotting, although I dont know if they rot that fast the soft baby teeth might... Brushing doesnt help at all here either. So far we havent seen any blood. That doesnt sound nice at all
Hope shes feeling better now that its out!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Poor little girl is not eating very well either. I think I will try some cottage cheese and maybe some chicken baby food tonight. She doesn't even chew her bones like she use to...she is VERY careful.....it upsets me to hear watch her chew, chew, chew and then whine like she's hurting.....

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
if the brushing isn't working...

this might sound weird
but we look at lucy's teeth and use a toothpick to get out the nasty gunky stuff that the brush doesn't get. it works!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I always like to get the baby teeth out early to ensure that the new teeth come in as straight as possible. Leaving them in could cause them to grow in side ways and back etc etc.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@May 4 2005, 07:10 PM
I always like to get the baby teeth out early to ensure that the new teeth come in as straight as possible.  Leaving them in could cause them to grow in side ways and back etc etc.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59886
[/QUOTE]

Our Vet recommends that the remaining baby teeth come out with her Spay so she only has to go under once. Dr. R said that it's not to "late" to take them out at 6 months as her jaw is still growing and it won't make that much difference. Waiting longer than 6 months can cause problems with adult teeth not shifting and having the bite off.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Kodie had the same problem. He had 7 baby teeth pulled while he was neutered. Most of them were on the bottom row in the front of his mouth. Once they were pulled... he looked GREAT! Like he had braces! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts