Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Too matted

3K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  mpd 
Originally posted by Silvia@Oct 24 2005, 04:38 PM
Thank you so much for all your help.

Can I give him a bath when he is matted? I read it can make it worse.
I also try to cut the hair myself but the clipper will not go through and I am afraid I will cut him.
The mats are right where the harness is (shoulders), chest and  lateral sides.
His coat is like cotton, very fluffy... it is completely different from Rosita's.

Do you think I should also shave his head? will it look too bad if I leave hair there??
I don't want it to look like a chihuahua (nothing against chihuahuas though)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113061
[/QUOTE]

I second Chelsey's post. Also, have you been brushing him before giving him baths? How long is his hair? I keep mine in a 3 inch long puppy cut. Still look like Maltese but without all the length. I brush them once in the morning with a human hair brush (the ones with rounded edges to get to the bottom without scratching their skin, then go over with the slicker and then with the comb.) Unfortunately I was doing it with dry hair until recently when I learned you are supposed to do it with conditioner! Omg!

Good luck to you. It is so true... wet maltese look like long haired wet chihuahuas! Except for my male... he is big so he looks like a straight haired bichon!

Originally posted by Deanna+Oct 25 2005, 08:13 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-mpd
@Oct 25 2005, 03:51 AM

I keep mine in a 3 inch long puppy cut.  Still look like Maltese but without all the length.  <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113207
mpd- I really like Lucky's and Chelsey's cuts. I am printing their pictures to show the groomer, the first time I have to take Wilson in. Their hair is long enough to look like a Maltese, but not too long. I also love how full their feet are!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113213
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you! I'm biased but I like the fact that they still look like Maltese but it is manageable and so far they haven't matted.

Originally posted by Maxismom@Oct 25 2005, 09:24 AM
Thats why  i keep maxi short because he hates to be brushed ( i do it anyway ) but he looks so handsome with short hair anyway that its easier i also have a standard grooming very 3 weeks and a bath with the groomers every 2 weeks and than i bathe him so basically he gets 1 week out of the month when he can be left alone other than brushing
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113230
[/QUOTE]

Maxi is gorgeous and his eyes are begging for him to come stay at my home!

Originally posted by Silvia@Oct 25 2005, 05:28 PM
Thank you all!

The groomer hasn't called me back yet. I hope he can get us in this week.
I love this service because they let me stay in all he time and she gives them treats and have aromatherapy and all that stuff so I am willing to wait.
I will post some pictures!! Thanks again
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113405
[/QUOTE]

Hi Silvia,

It sounds so great my puppies might want to go live with you instead! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.