Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found out last minute we will have a houseful today for a BD. Last time this occured Belle became so over stimulated that her Vet had me give her 1/2 capsule of Benedryl and place her in crate in darkened room w/soft music. I am
thinking of giving her 1/4 teas of children's benedryl before everyone comes in hopes we don't have the same thing happen. I feel guilty but I can't stand to see her so worked up into a frenzy. Am I being a bad Mom or do you think it is ok. Wish I could ask Vet but it is Sunday. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Her last episode was about 1 month ago. Frenzy- Runs in circles; drools profusely,eyes are bugged out looking (don't know how else to explain it) unable to hold her and calm her down - actually risky to try and hold her as she is just out of control. She gets very excited when family and children come. She wants to play with them. Putting her in her crate in another room doesn't help because she can hear them plus knows son whom she is crazy about is here even with music on to quiet her. Last time it took about 6 hrs or more and that's when I called the vet at home and he said to give her 1/2 benedryl and that finally worked within 45 mins or so. I don't want to call the Vet at home again on a Sunday, I wish I knew this was going to happen today. I don't like giving her drugs either. Maybe I should just wait and when she starts getting too excited and can't be distracted then give her some???

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
1/2 capsule is equal to one tsp (or 5mls) of the liquid. its pretty safe..i have my mom give it during bad storms and fireworks.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[attachment=606:attachment]Thanks Jamie. Everyone just left. I gave Belle the 1/2 teas in syringe and it did help greatly. She still played and had a good time but she is quiet now that everyone has left and it looks like a normal evening. Yeah!!! She didn't appear to be drugged at all but it certainly made all the difference in the world. I will look thru the pictures to see if there is a good one of Belle and New Puppy of Kendra's
named Ruffles running and playing and post it.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Awww they are both just adorable. Don't you just HATE how hard it is
to get a good picture of a black dog??? My hubby's Great Dane is black
and I can never get any good pictures of her.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by lethalfire@Oct 3 2005, 11:21 AM
Awww they are both just adorable.  Don't you just HATE how hard it is
to get a good picture of a black dog???  My hubby's Great Dane is black
and I can never get any good pictures of her.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105683
[/QUOTE]
I know what you mean! My parent's dog is black and it is so hard to get a good picture of her. She always looks like a black blob in the picture.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
They look like they have become best friends. Cute picture!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Really cute picture and I am sooo glad to hear that the medicine worked for her. I know you must be relieved not to see her in distress. Yea!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts