Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never used dog food before. I decided before I got Preston that my cooking days are over. It's just too much work and hard to know if the dog is getting the right amount.

I chose Evo small bites because it has a lot of protein and no grain and seemed like a good food. He is pooping SO much! Healthy poops, but still so often. This morning he went when he first woke up and twice after that. And a good amount each time.

I'm starting to think there's a lot of filler in this food. He's obviously not absorbing much, and he eats so little! Any suggestions???:unsure:

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I had Mercedes on Evo, I had to take her to the vet because I thought she may have a bladder infection, she had bloodwork done and her BUN and creatine were elevated. I thought it could be related to her food, Dr did not think so. I swithched her to Wellness and had her tested 3 weeks later and her BUN and creatine were normal. Not sure if it was the Evo, but I think it is to high in protien for toy breeds JMO.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
I feed Wellness, small bite, 5 mix or something like that. My bag is downstairs and I can't get to it right now. Anyway, the girls love it~~:chili:

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Are you feeding the amount according to the package directions? You usually have to feed on the lower end of the recommended amount to avoid weight gain with Evo.

FYI, Evo has a very high fat content, more than most of the other grain free foods.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of Evo or Innova foods. My holistic vet tried to sell me on the brand a couple of years ago and I tried it when Nikki was a puppy. But imo, the food quality isn't so great compared to others. I've heard that Fromm is a quality food, but I've not tried it and so I have no way of knowing whether that is true.

I don't think that we can generalize that a specific food or protein ratio is good or bad for Maltese, as all dogs are different, even within the breed, and there are other variables that might contribute to a negative effect from a specific food. According to Dr. Becker, it's not so much the protein that is the issue with these foods, it's the quality and source of the protein and the fat, and the amount of water that the dog drinks when they are eating a grain-free kibble.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Free feeding or meals? Kind of in between. I give him breakfast, he eats two bites. Later in the morning I give him his bowl again and he has some more. Later, dinner.

I'm starting to think Evo is not very good quality as well. I agree it's not the amount of protein. Dogs in the wild get plenty of protein, and my poodle never had a problem with a lot of chicken (but the fat can be a problem).

I think Preston is doing well, but the frequent bowel movements make potty training difficult and its a sign that there is a lot of garbage in the food.

I could try Fromm like others have suggested, or Natural Balance OR raw freeze dried.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Why are you switching from Wellness to FROMM?

Someone had recommended FROMM Salmon a La Veg to me a while back to help Aolani with his tear staining but I couldn't start Aolani on it yet as it wasn't for puppies. So I kept him on Wellness and since the bag was almost done I started to mix in the FROMM recently. Wellness puppy has chicken in it and I wanted to gt him off it and decided that the ingredients in FROMM looked good. So we'll see how this one goes - the kibble is also a little smaller than that of Wellness puppy and FROMM is also hollistic and I've been hearing a lot of good things about hollistic food.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
I feed Wellness, small bite, 5 mix or something like that. My bag is downstairs and I can't get to it right now. Anyway, the girls love it~~:chili:
thats what dolce is eating. he likes it , he poops maybe three times a day ? and he is free feeding. i think i should start feeding him just twice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts