Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always seem to be concerned about protein. There are some people who say that giving small breed dogs too much protein especially if they are not very active could damage their kidneys in the future. That is why I try to rotate different foods. My holistic pet store does not reccomend foods like Acana or Origen. I use Acana and my malt loves it and she is very picky. I also rotate other brands but I always favour the Acana. If anyone has knowlege on protein please share. Thank you

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I don't think there is one right answer. A lot of it depends on the individual dog. Has your Maltese had complete bloodwork done including a bile acids test to rule out liver disease and other health issues?

I'd discuss it with your vet.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She did have a complete blood panel done a month ago and everything was A OK !
Bile acid test was not done.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
She did have a complete blood panel done a month ago and everything was A OK !
Bile acid test was not done.

I'd get a bile acids test done as dogs can have normal bloodwork, but elevated bile acids.

It's important to know the health of her liver since liver compromised dogs should stick to a diet of 22-24% protein. Also, the type of protein is important. High quality protein from fish, eggs and diary products is much easier on the liver than protein from red meat.

Again, I think this is a decision best made with your vet based upon your individual dog.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
imho i would talk to a veterinary nutritionist before speaking with a vet. and take it all with a grain of salt, because the education most of them get is from the pet food industry, like P&G (Iams, Eukanuba) and the makers of Science Diet, etc. and we all know the poor quality of those foods.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I'm so tired of the same statements that keep getting passed down by pet food store workers and vets offices. Where are the studies on this? (Who would fund them? Certainly not the makers of Science Diet - the food that is filled with sawdust and other junk.)

It is the QUALITY of the proteins and fats that you must pick with care. It is the amount of water that is consumed with proteins that is important.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
It is the QUALITY of the proteins and fats that you must pick with care. It is the amount of water that is consumed with proteins that is important.
This is right on!!!

The information that I got from Dr. Becker says it's the quality of the protein. A high protein kibble fed to a dog will eventually stress the kidneys and cause problems because rarely does a dog consume enough water drinking normally to stay hydrated. However, fresh meats will not put stress on the kidneys because they already have the moisture content necessary for healthy processing.

This problem also came to light when soldiers ate dehydrated meals while in combat. The meals were changed to contain more moisture so they would be safer.

Dogs actually need more protein as they get older from higher quality protein sources.

Dogs with health issues would need to work with their vet or nutritionist but as a general rule a higher protein diet from quality sources is what is best. This is also why canned food is recomended over dry.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
This is right on!!!

The information that I got from Dr. Becker says it's the quality of the protein. A high protein kibble fed to a dog will eventually stress the kidneys and cause problems because rarely does a dog consume enough water drinking normally to stay hydrated. However, fresh meats will not put stress on the kidneys because they already have the moisture content necessary for healthy processing.

This problem also came to light when soldiers ate dehydrated meals while in combat. The meals were changed to contain more moisture so they would be safer.

Dogs actually need more protein as they get older from higher quality protein sources.

Dogs with health issues would need to work with their vet or nutritionist but as a general rule a higher protein diet from quality sources is what is best. This is also why canned food is recomended over dry.

I've always heard I can stress the kidneys too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts