Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

due to bring my little girl dixie home from the breeders next friday, am so excited!! i will be settling her in all weekend.
the only problem is that theres been plans made to travel an hour away to familys house on the saturday night. it will be loud, there will be other dogs and i am left wondering if its too soon to be unsettling dixie after leaving her mum and littermates and uprooting her with another car journey and strange house although she is very welcome there.

am i being too soft because she needs to get used to it at some point or am i right to be cautious as its the second night away from all she knows?!!!

Help!!!
Bec

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by beccypaul@Nov 5 2004, 05:27 PM
hey guys,

due to bring my little girl dixie home from the breeders next friday, am so excited!!  i will be settling her in all weekend.
the only problem is that theres been plans made to travel an hour away to familys house on the saturday night.  it will be loud, there will be other dogs and i am left wondering if its too soon to be unsettling dixie after leaving her mum and littermates and uprooting her with another car journey and strange house although she is very welcome there.

am i being too soft because she needs to get used to it at some point or am i right to be cautious as its the second night away from all she knows?!!!

Help!!!
Bec
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15076
[/QUOTE]

Obviously the best thing would be for her to be home with you all weekend. It will be traumatic for her to leave her mom and siblings. How old will she be when she comes home to you?

You say there will be other dogs there. I would keep her away from them. She is likely very young and her immune system is just gettng "going" and you don't want her to catch anything from the other dogs. And she won't be fully vaccinated yet either. (I'm assuming she is a young puppy).

Do you have the flexibility to stay home instead of going? That's what I would do, unless it is a special occasion, etc. If you do go, I would just keep her very close to you and cuddle with her and make her feel safe. Don't take her outside to potty where there could be diseases lurking.... use potty pads indoors.

Anyway, that's my opinion... !!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I've heard that it is recommend that the new puppy should only be around its family for the first 24 hours. This is supposed to be at your home.

That said you could play it by ear and see how she is doing on Saturday. If she seems fine you can go. If you are going to crate train her take the crate along so that if she gets scared she can go into it. If she does get too scared you can leave early.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I would also play it by ear. We got Caesar on a wednesday and that friday we took him with us to my mother-in-laws wedding rehersal and then wedding on saturday. He did really really well, everyone held him the whole time and during the actual wedding I put him in his crate in a different room and he slept the whole time. She will be so tiny though I almost promise you she will always be in someones arms
. Caesar was passed around during the dinner and everyone said he was their 'lap warmer' cause he would just lay there very quietly I guess taking it all in. Hope this helps some

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
10 weeks, not yet fully vacs and not that special occasion.
she will have only have been at my home for one night before i would have to uproot her for the night until about 12 ish. theres the drive there and back as well and i've been told the dogs have nothing she could catch.
feel very protective about it and don't want to molecoddle her but she is very little and young
your advice is appreciated
thanks
bec

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i could take her crate but couldnt leave early as someone else is driving us

am i being soft?!! thats what i'm being told!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
No your not being softy. I was the biggest worry wort when I got Lexi.

You could try taking her but keeping her in a separate room away from the dogs. Put her in her crate with some toys. You could just check on her every hour. More than likely she would sleep the entire time. Especially if you play a lot earlier that day and tire her out.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by beccypaul@Nov 5 2004, 05:38 PM
i've been told the dogs have nothing she could catch.
feel very protective about it and don't want to molecoddle her but she is very little and young
your advice is appreciated
thanks
bec
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15080
[/QUOTE]

First of all, please don't let anyone make you feel badly for looking out for your baby. You have instinctly thought correctly.

I'm sure the owners of the other dogs don't think they have any diseases, etc. but there is no way that anyone can be 100% sure what might be "brewing". And just knowing that other "big scarey" dogs are there could cause your baby undue stress.

In addition, I agree with DMZ and I would wait a week before getting your puppy. The added stress of the trip for her can bring on diarrhea, hypoglycemia, etc. I don't see any reason to stress her out...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey, thanks for all replies of advice.

I have decided to give saturday night a miss. After much thought it is a risk that I don't want to take. I had planned to pick dixie up on the friday aft so i have plenty of time to settle her in before i go to work for a few hours tuesday. i had planned to spend all weekend in my home with partner and dixie and a few occasional visitors. i think this is right. the plans were made for saturday by family who hadn't taken my plans into account. i therefore will be staying home. not taking any chances with my little pup, i have waited too long for her!!
i would of spent the night making sure people didn't drop her/stand on her etc, and thats no fun for any of us. also i would be worrying about what she could pick up, the runs being one thats a worry in pups.
anyway, thanks again
this is a great site, wish some of the helpful sites you all suggest were english!!

luv Bec

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by beccypaul@Nov 6 2004, 11:24 AM
hey, thanks for all replies of advice.

I have decided to give saturday night a miss.  After much thought it is a risk that I don't want to take.  I had planned to pick dixie up on the friday aft so i have plenty of time to settle her in before i go to work for a few hours tuesday.  i had planned to spend all weekend in my home with partner and dixie and a few occasional visitors.  i think this is right.  the plans were made for saturday by family who hadn't taken my plans into account.  i therefore will be staying home.  not taking any chances with my little pup, i have waited too long for her!!
i would of spent the night making sure people didn't drop her/stand on her etc, and thats no fun for any of us.  also i would be worrying about what she could pick up, the runs being one thats a worry in pups.
anyway, thanks again
this is a great site, wish some of the helpful sites you all suggest were english!!

luv Bec
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15162
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a good idea. Also congratulations on getting the new lil' baby, these lil' guys are absolutely wonderful. I guarintee we will always have a maltese in our home after having Caesar

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
And how is everything going with the new addition? Fill us in....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts