Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I just got back from the vet with Baxter. He has not been eating well since Tuesday and felt really warm on Wednesday. He has been real lethargic all week. Yesterday we were at the vet for a dental check and neuter appointment(May 6) and he appeared fine but today he has been vomiting. The vet took an x-ray which appeared normal unless he has ate something non metal which she said should show a lot of gas on the film which was not there. She gave him an injection of Centrine for the vomiting and a B12 shot. She said to bring him back tonight if he was still vomiting and she would start an IV so he would not dehydrate. I am really worried. She said to not allow him to get stressed and take him home to rest. He is laying beside me now, I am so used to him playing that this has me scared to death. What should I be doing for him or looking for. I do not even know what is wrong! Also his temp. was normal today but how do I check it at home. The vet uses an ear thermometer and what is a normal temp.?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by DanaH@Apr 9 2005, 04:11 PM
Okay, I just got back from the vet with Baxter.  He has not been eating well since Tuesday and felt really warm on Wednesday.  He has been real lethargic all week.  Yesterday we were at the vet for a dental check and neuter appointment(May 6) and he appeared fine but today he has been vomiting.  The vet took an x-ray which appeared normal unless he has ate something non metal which she said should show a lot of gas on the film which was not there.  She gave him an injection of Centrine for the vomiting and a B12 shot.  She said to bring him back tonight if he was still vomiting and she would start an IV so he would not dehydrate.  I am really worried.  She said to not allow him to get stressed and take him home to rest.  He is laying beside me now, I am so used to him playing that this has me scared to death.  What should I be doing for him or looking for.  I do not even know what is wrong!  Also his temp. was normal today but how do I check it at home.  The vet uses an ear thermometer and what is a normal temp.?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=50878
[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry he is not feeling well. It is so stressful when our little ones are not up to par. I have used a rectal therometer to take my first Maltese, Rosebud's temperature.

Here is info regarding normal temperature and how to take it from the Purina Dog Chow web site: Dog Temp Info

BODY TEMPERATURE FOR DOGS

The normal body temperature for dogs ranges between 99.5° to 102.5°F. Like humans, dogs need to keep their body temperature as close to normal as possible. Learn to check your dog’s temperature if possible when you have concerns and contact your veterinarian if you find any problems.

If you’re uncertain you can handle the following procedure, see your veterinarian. But it is possible for the owner to take a pet's temperature, depending upon the disposition of the pet.

Taking Your Dog’s Temperature

1. Have someone assist you by holding the back end of the pet.

2. Use a rectal thermometer; an oral thermometer should never be used to get
a rectal temperature.

3. First shake the thermometer thoroughly until the column of mercury is about 96°.

4. Lubricate the thermometer with petroleum jelly or mineral oil.

5. Grasp the pet's tail and lift it.

6. With a gentle, twisting motion insert the thermometer until half its length is in the rectum.

7. Retain your grip on the thermometer and tail for at least three minutes.

8. Remove the thermometer and read the mercury level.

9. If the pet's temperature is above 103°F (which is considered to be a fever) or below 99°F consult your veterinarian.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Poor Baxter!
I know you must just be worried sick!
Lots of hugs and wiggles your way! Hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the well wishes. Baxter still isn't feeling any better, but is getting lots of love and attention!!
K/C's Mom thanks for the info. you are a wonderful help. Baxter's temp. is 101, still normal!!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Wishing Baxter well!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
How is Baxter today?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I feel so bad for Baxter. It is so painful for us to see our babies in such distress. I remember about a month ago when Mimi was sick for about a day in a half. I took her to work with me just to keep a close eye on her. She was vomiting as well but it was just due to overeating. I hope Baxter feels better soon. We are all here for you. :D

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
ME TOO! I hope Baxter is getting better as we speak!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it has been a LONG day, I am so tired and stressed!! Baxter still is not feeling well. Good news is the last time he vomited was late last night around 11:00. I am still not giving much water or food per his vet. He is still laying around a lot but has gotten up to play a few times.
I just wish I knew what was wrong. I feel so helpless!!
Thank you all for being here for me to talk to.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Did the vet give any indication as to what might be wrong? I read that he/she did x-rays looking for something he might have eaten...but I would be so worried, wondering what had made him that sick.
I am glad that he is not vomiting anymore...that has to ease your mind a lot...Good luck...lots of hugs/wiggles/prayers coming your way!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tlunn - The vet took x-rays looking for a possible cause but nothing was found. He has had no change in diet so she asked if he had been stressed or around anyone new. So I told her Tuesday when he started getting sick I had a clinical and was not home from 6 a.m. till 9 p.m. My husband stayed home with him all day and he said Baxter would not eat and went from room to room looking for me. I came home and had to feed him from my hand to get him to eat and that went on for two days. The vet thought he might be stressed but since all this happened on Tuesday she didn't think it would take him this long to vomit. So actually she is not sure what is wrong.
All sorts of horrible thoughts have came to mind but nothing conclusive, maybe it is some sort of virus. I just don't know. I do know he has been oh so spoiled if more is even possible.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Aw...sick from missing you.
Lots of hugs/kisses to him...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts