Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took her in a few weeks ago because I was worried about the tartar and her tear ducts.

She is not good about letting anyone look in her mouth.

The vet discovered that she only had tartar on one side. She was doing all her chewing on the other side. Turns out that she had a retained cap that wasn't pulled during her spay.:w00t: The poor thing, it must have been really bothering her.

The vet said she'd have to go under again and have it pulled out. First she wanted us to try these HUGE bites of food as a dental cleaning tool, instead of cookies. We've been giving them to her 3 times a day.

The cap is gone:chili::aktion033: I'm so happy that she doesn't have to go under again.

Since this cap is gone her face has been completely dry. It was constantly wet before.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Wow, that's great news!!!:chili::aktion033: I bet it's nice having her face dry again!

You really got me thinking now...I should have Preston's mouth looked at; I think (from me personally looking at his teeth) that all of his teeth fell out, BUT maybe not? He has quite a bit of tartar on his teeth compared to London but I assumed it was genetics.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, do you know the specific name of the special dental chews you gave Libby?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get in there and look around. Libby's teeth were so stubborn coming out.

Did Preston have any pulled when he was snipped?

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
:chili: :chili: :chili: That is great news!!!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Get in there and look around. Libby's teeth were so stubborn coming out.

Did Preston have any pulled when he was snipped?
I will try and see if I can look around further back, but his mouth is SOOO tiny compared to London's! LOL I can barely see to his back teeth so it will be tough. I'll have to have hubby hold him.

He didn't have any teeth pulled when he got neutered because he was neutered when he was like 4 months old because of his rear dew claws that were posing problems -- the vet and I both opted to do both at the same time rather than put him under twice. I betcha he has a stubborn tooth still in there somewhere...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lisa,

It's Hill's prescription diet

t/d

Reduces Plaque and Tartar Buildup for a healthier mouth and fresher breath.

Let me tell you Libby's breath was so stinky before. Now, it doesn't smell at all.:aktion033:

The vet recommends these over cookies for good dental heath. Libby loves them too. I give her three a day.

They're BIG so it takes a while for her to eat it. This must help with the scrubbing of the teeth.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Lisa,

t/d

Let me tell you Libby's breath was so stinky before. Now, it doesn't smell at all.:aktion033:

The vet recommends these over cookies for good dental heath. Libby loves them too. I give her three a day.

They're BIG so it takes a while for her to eat it. This must help with the scrubbing of the teeth.
Just curious ... is it just a food, or is it Hill's Science some sort of dental chews? I'd love to ask my vet about this.

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a regular food in a big size. My vet has them in her cookie jar on the counter.

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
We used the t/d's all the time. Now Chase with his colitis can't have them so we don't buy them anymore. They made a huge difference in our Boyz.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Lisa,

t/d

Well, if Libby's breath was stinky before and not now, I'm almost 100% sure Preston must have a retained tooth way in the back somewhere...his breath is kind of stinky. I tried looking in his mouth last night, and I could only part-way see on the top, and I couldn't see his bottom teeth at all because of his tongue. lol ...I think it's best for me to just have the vet do it. :HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Okay, another question ... what is t/d?

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I noticed that too Roxybaby!:angry: The vet is having me cut her down to 1 per day. With the cap gone and using these, her teeth look really good.:aktion033:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I noticed that too Roxybaby!:angry: The vet is having me cut her down to 1 per day. With the cap gone and using these, her teeth look really good.:aktion033:
That's good! :chili:

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Just remember that some are prone to tooth problems. Rylee has had to have hers cleaned twice. Also it is not what you see that is the problem it is what is under their gums that create problems. So if what you can see looks bad under the gums could be a lot worse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts