Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a slight smell from his right ear. The vet said it is irritated and infected, but not too badly infected. He gave me ear drops and liquid to clean his ears out, but said to just do it right after the bath every week. The drops for the infection twice a day.

Rocky lived up to his name today. He came out fighting hard! :w00t: He would not stay still for a second to allow the vet to look in his ears. I backed off when he kept squirming, thinking that may help and the assistant couldn't hold him still. So I helped her again and we still couldn't do it. He would not stay still. So finally the vet was able to look quickly. But then after talking with the vet.. he stopped wiggling, so the Vet tried again and this time he stood perfectly still. He also took his temp. No fever, but said it is irritated on the outside of the ear and he has a mild infection inside.

He said the groomer probably irritated him when pulling the hair out. Granted, I ask her to do it, but how the heck is she doing it? I can see he's not easy to do. I never see her after the grooming. Someone else brings him out. I am not bringing him back there for two reasons...didn't like the cut and now the ear irritation. I don't know if the infection is a result of the grooming, but it's very suspicious. I always bathe him and make sure not to get water in his ears. I have not bathed him since he's been groomed, which was about two weeks ago. I noticed the smelling about four to five days after she groomed him. So I bathed him again two days ago. I still faintly smelled it so I took him in. I had a cocker once that had bad infections and I didn't want a repeat of that. My schnauzer never had an ear infection.

Now how do I do this...he won't stay still for me to get the drops in his ears. Any suggestions? :smilie_tischkante: Maybe when he's sleepy? I already tried the treats. He eats them so fast he doesn't give me a chance to get the drops all the way in before he is fighting me. OH HELP!!!!:blink::smpullhair:
I also threatened him by telling him Santa can see you! :angry: That didn't work either. I think I know someone that is getting coal in his stocking.:HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
16,777 Posts
I had similar problems with Bonnie when she was a baby - she had several ear infections. I read that if you wrap them in a towel it will help prevent squirming. I never tried that for the ear drops, but I know that Bonnie is quite still in a towel after her bath, maybe it's worth a try.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Yes, try a towel..that's what I do with Bisou after her bath, to get her ear drops into her ears...it works very well!! Good luck! Poor Rocky!!

PS- I think you have to be so careful about picking up infections at the groomers...Bisou got a really nasty one from the groomers..so she's going to be cut by me from now on (which is a really scary thought..but less scary than what she could pick up from the groomers!!!)

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
I never let the groomers pull the ear hair out. Somehow that always seems to cause ear infections, imho.

Rocky -- feel better soon and let your Mom but the drops in your ears -- it's important!!!

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Dianne - oh no. Poor Rocky and poor you. I think swaddling him in a towel, kind of like babies are swaddled keeping their limbs in, should help. Otherwise I sometimes put Tyler on a large towel on my dining room table, which he won't move on (but maybe that's just him) and he lets me do a lot with his eyes and teeth that he normally kicks up a fuss about.

I was at a Petco in NJ this past weekend and they had a window looking into grooming. I saw the groomers there doing the strangest thing...at least to me it was strange. They were wrapping the ear hair around something -- not sure what since not close again -- and then pulling and I guess that's how they were pulling the hairs out. The dogs were not happy at all and it really looked like they were manhandling them to get it out. They just kept doing it. I had never plucked anything from Tyler's ears but last time at the vet she said just to get the ear hair that looked greasy not all of them - I guess the ones that wicked moisture -- and very gently with your fingers pull it out and it came right out in her fingers. So the groomers looked like overkill and who knows what germs can get in the open pores. I'm very careful bathing Tyler and putting cotton balls in his ears and drying right after. I'm happy I'm there with my groomer to see what she does. Can you find a mobile groomer?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I really think it was from the groomer. Last month a tick from the day care which is wear the groomer works and this month this. I cannot cut hair myself, I tried and it wasn't too pretty. I already put rocky on the counter in the bathroom and have a small grooming table for him..it doesn't help. :smilie_tischkante:But tonite when he was sleepy guess who got some drops in his ear? Sneaky Mommy. :innocent: I tried the towel too and that helped a lot but Daddy had to do the ear...ah, he did all right but I don't think he got much in. :mellow:
That is horrible what they do to those dogs...no way. I didn't know you can go into the grooming truck! I never even thought to ask. Thanks Susan...oh, have you tried to pull the hair out? I've tried once long ago, but nothing came out. Guess I can't be a groomer.:HistericalSmiley:

Dianne - oh no. Poor Rocky and poor you. I think swaddling him in a towel, kind of like babies are swaddled keeping their limbs in, should help. Otherwise I sometimes put Tyler on a large towel on my dining room table, which he won't move on (but maybe that's just him) and he lets me do a lot with his eyes and teeth that he normally kicks up a fuss about.

I was at a Petco in NJ this past weekend and they had a window looking into grooming. I saw the groomers there doing the strangest thing...at least to me it was strange. They were wrapping the ear hair around something -- not sure what since not close again -- and then pulling and I guess that's how they were pulling the hairs out. The dogs were not happy at all and it really looked like they were manhandling them to get it out. They just kept doing it. I had never plucked anything from Tyler's ears but last time at the vet she said just to get the ear hair that looked greasy not all of them - I guess the ones that wicked moisture -- and very gently with your fingers pull it out and it came right out in her fingers. So the groomers looked like overkill and who knows what germs can get in the open pores. I'm very careful bathing Tyler and putting cotton balls in his ears and drying right after. I'm happy I'm there with my groomer to see what she does. Can you find a mobile groomer?

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Oh I do hope Rocky feels better and he will, he's such a cutie. That is a good idea about the towel. Also, my vet told me, when my two were pups, everyday, while I am grooming them, to touch them, as if the vet was examining them. Ears, open the mouth, the whole bit. When I first brought Mia and Leo to the vets for their first visit, they were little squirmers too. That was my first homework assignment from my vet LOL.

Glad the infection is mild, but so sorry it happened. Get better soon little Rocky.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
I could never groom tyler as far as cutting goes. I can't even do my own bangs. :blush:
Hmm not sure how the mobile groomers work who actually have a truck but the ones in NYC( if they had a truck they'd never get a parking space:HistericalSmiley:) come up to people's apartments. Many of my neighbor's have groomers come to their home.
I got a little out and I think that's all I want to take out since I do think it helps filter out gunk. In addition when I did it Tyler seemed to feel nothing:)
I think given the tick and this it's time to find someplace else.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Poor Rocky!! I used to get a lot of ear infections as a child...and a couple of times as an adult. Wow they are painful!!! :( I hope he feels better soon.

Truthfully, I know there must be good groomers out there, but frankly I have seen so many horror stories about the bad ones that I am terrified to take any of my fluffs to one. I did try once taking my golden retriever to get groomed. He is my rescue and has major fear issues and hated anyone touching his feet. Well, this groomer said he could cut his nails no problem. I didn't quite believe him, but I let Scout go anyway. Well when I picked him up everything seemed fine. His nails were cut...I was suprised. But when I got him home and tried to touch his feet a few days later, he growled and showed his teeth (NEVER did that before). The only thing I can think is that they managed to cut his nails but did so in such a scarey way that he's now VERY scared of anyone touching his feet. I feel like it must have been h*ll for Scout to endure something that terrified him so much. :crying: so my dogs will have to live with my botched haircuts. I do cut my husband's and kids' hair already and have for some time...so it is just going to take awhile before I can get better at it. lol

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is true..they probably take a taxi or train to their clients, I lived in Brooklyn till I was in my early twenties, so guess I forgot about that one. :HistericalSmiley:I am going to try to pluck the hairs out myself when his infection is gone. And I'm not bringing him back there. I do cut Rocky and he stands pretty still, I just have no knowledge of how to cut. I just do the best I can. It's the toe nail trimming and ear plucking and shaving around the face that scares me. He does let me trim around his face with a scissor, he stays perfectly still for that. He's probably scared sh*tless!:HistericalSmiley:

I could never groom tyler as far as cutting goes. I can't even do my own bangs. :blush:
Hmm not sure how the mobile groomers work who actually have a truck but the ones in NYC( if they had a truck they'd never get a parking space:HistericalSmiley:) come up to people's apartments. Many of my neighbor's have groomers come to their home.
I got a little out and I think that's all I want to take out since I do think it helps filter out gunk. In addition when I did it Tyler seemed to feel nothing:)
I think given the tick and this it's time to find someplace else.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
An ear infection too? Do you have clippers? Where do you start? I"m sure there are videos somewhere to explain. Do you cut nails and shave her too? Poor Bisou..how long did it take to heal? Did you take him back to the vet for a follow up? My vet said to give it to him for two weeks and call if it's not better.

Yes, try a towel..that's what I do with Bisou after her bath, to get her ear drops into her ears...it works very well!! Good luck! Poor Rocky!!

PS- I think you have to be so careful about picking up infections at the groomers...Bisou got a really nasty one from the groomers..so she's going to be cut by me from now on (which is a really scary thought..but less scary than what she could pick up from the groomers!!!)

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
I'm so glad you took our Rocky boy to the vet! Poor little guy. I know you are supposed to pluck the hair, but I cut it out and I always put cotton in their ears when bathing. Of course I am speculating here, but I would doubt that busy groomers would use the cotton. I hope you can find a mobile groomer that can come to your house so you can observe what is going on. Or, you can do it yourself like I do. :mellow: Rocky, you must let your mommy put the drops in..maybe she will give you a cookie...:wub:

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Ok, my question is : why do you plug his ears in the first place ? Does he have that many hairs sticking out there that you need to ? The most I have EVER plugged some hairs out of Alex's ears is maybe 3 times in 13 years. I am going by the motto "if it's not broke, don't fix it". He has never had an ear infection in his life.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought we had to?:unsure: He has a lot of hair in his ears.

Ok, my question is : why do you plug his ears in the first place ? Does he have that many hairs sticking out there that you need to ? The most I have EVER plugged some hairs out of Alex's ears is maybe 3 times in 13 years. I am going by the motto "if it's not broke, don't fix it". He has never had an ear infection in his life.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks April, yes, I think I will tell them to cut it instead. And I'm going to try to find a mobile groomer that allows me in the truck. I want to see what they do myself. And ask them to put cotton in his ears. I also bought ear cleaner..the vet said to do it after his bath, once a week. I wish I could do it myself. What kind of shaver do you have? What do you use on the face? Do you trim nails too?

I'm so glad you took our Rocky boy to the vet! Poor little guy. I know you are supposed to pluck the hair, but I cut it out and I always put cotton in their ears when bathing. Of course I am speculating here, but I would doubt that busy groomers would use the cotton. I hope you can find a mobile groomer that can come to your house so you can observe what is going on. Or, you can do it yourself like I do. :mellow: Rocky, you must let your mommy put the drops in..maybe she will give you a cookie...:wub:

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I thought we had to?:unsure: He has a lot of hair in his ears.
You don't have to. It depends on the dog. Some dogs have more hair in the ears than others. I would not do it unless there is a problem. You need to start playing with his ears to get him accustomed to be touched there so you can easily put medicine in it. When you hold him, rub around the outside of his ears (usually they love that because it feels good), play with his paws too and maybe later on you will be able to cut his nails yourself.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, great ideas. I do play with his paws...he lets me. He hates to have his legs brushed though. I am not going to have the hair pulled out anymore. I'm just going to clean his ears once a week after bath like the Vet told me. How is Alex?

You don't have to. It depends on the dog. Some dogs have more hair in the ears than others. I would not do it unless there is a problem. You need to start playing with his ears to get him accustomed to be touched there so you can easily put medicine in it. When you hold him, rub around the outside of his ears (usually they love that because it feels good), play with his paws too and maybe later on you will be able to cut his nails yourself.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts