Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
Elisabeth and Poodles (plus Zooey in heaven)
Hi Abigail, I'm so sorry you lost your baby at only 7 years old to cancer :( That is heartbreaking. You make a really good point about starting teeth brushing when they are puppies. I definitely tried with my girl, but it was a losing battle--she was already an adult dog and it stressed her too much for me to try to brush her teeth every day. I do brush my poodles' teeth regularly :)

Registered
I discovered two very loose teeth in my 7 yr. old Maltese. On exam, the vet said he has very bad gum disease and little tartar. He gave me an estimate for 8 extractions but warned there may be more when they get in there and have x-rays. Also warned of complications. I was in shock at the price. My question is: what have you paid for tooth extractions for permanent teeth? Even when I just googled the average price for canine extractions is was more than half what he estimated. It may be the area I live, but there must be options?
I just paid 850 for seven extractions. Worried the dog was in pain etc. I looked around for good price and good rep

Registered
I discovered two very loose teeth in my 7 yr. old Maltese. On exam, the vet said he has very bad gum disease and little tartar. He gave me an estimate for 8 extractions but warned there may be more when they get in there and have x-rays. Also warned of complications. I was in shock at the price. My question is: what have you paid for tooth extractions for permanent teeth? Even when I just googled the average price for canine extractions is was more than half what he estimated. It may be the area I live, but there must be options?
Just say NO and find another vet. So sad working on your emotions for the love of money. Mazies Mom

Premium Member
Some things that can affect the price, in addition to where you live, can be whether x-rays will be done (a good idea in older dogs especially with any loose teeth and suspicion about what is under the gum line) and whether there is a catheter in place in case of emergency (also a good idea in my opinion with an older and tiny dog with tiny blood vessels). Also the pre-op blood work. Anyway, the least expensive may not be the best, but there's no harm looking into whether there are price differences.

Registered
I am sure that you have confidence in your vet and that is very important. Hope all go's well. When a prior little dog of mine needed surgery. I really could not afford it but as my daughter said: Mom would hold up a 7-11 convenience store
for her dog. I found a way. They are our hearts and we love them so. Best to you and your little one.
Mazie's Mom

21 - 25 of 25 Posts