Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Hi Abigail, I'm so sorry you lost your baby at only 7 years old to cancer :( That is heartbreaking. You make a really good point about starting teeth brushing when they are puppies. I definitely tried with my girl, but it was a losing battle--she was already an adult dog and it stressed her too much for me to try to brush her teeth every day. I do brush my poodles' teeth regularly :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I discovered two very loose teeth in my 7 yr. old Maltese. On exam, the vet said he has very bad gum disease and little tartar. He gave me an estimate for 8 extractions but warned there may be more when they get in there and have x-rays. Also warned of complications. I was in shock at the price. My question is: what have you paid for tooth extractions for permanent teeth? Even when I just googled the average price for canine extractions is was more than half what he estimated. It may be the area I live, but there must be options?
I just paid 850 for seven extractions. Worried the dog was in pain etc. I looked around for good price and good rep

·
Registered
10 Posts
I discovered two very loose teeth in my 7 yr. old Maltese. On exam, the vet said he has very bad gum disease and little tartar. He gave me an estimate for 8 extractions but warned there may be more when they get in there and have x-rays. Also warned of complications. I was in shock at the price. My question is: what have you paid for tooth extractions for permanent teeth? Even when I just googled the average price for canine extractions is was more than half what he estimated. It may be the area I live, but there must be options?
Just say NO and find another vet. So sad working on your emotions for the love of money. Mazies Mom

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
Some things that can affect the price, in addition to where you live, can be whether x-rays will be done (a good idea in older dogs especially with any loose teeth and suspicion about what is under the gum line) and whether there is a catheter in place in case of emergency (also a good idea in my opinion with an older and tiny dog with tiny blood vessels). Also the pre-op blood work. Anyway, the least expensive may not be the best, but there's no harm looking into whether there are price differences.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am sure that you have confidence in your vet and that is very important. Hope all go's well. When a prior little dog of mine needed surgery. I really could not afford it but as my daughter said: Mom would hold up a 7-11 convenience store
for her dog. I found a way. They are our hearts and we love them so. Best to you and your little one.
Mazie's Mom

21 - 26 of 26 Posts