Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what are your pups "had to have" items when you brought him/her home? Be it toys, blanket from the breeder with mom's scent, etc. please list them here.

This will keep some of the new pup owners (and future pup owners) from overspending and purchasing things just because they are "cute" :D .

I've already go the exer. pen, shampoo, conditioner, vitamins, a few chew toys, dishes, etc.

Thanks.

*If you have more than 10, keep on posting but remember, they must all be necessities* :D

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I totally went overboard when I got Lexi. I got tons of shirts for her (grew out of those pretty fast
). I was better with Nikk since I was going overboard on the price of the puppy.

Must Haves
1) Food dish
2) Food
3) Harness and Leash
4) Toys
5) crate if crate training
6) Nutrical
7) Comb, slicker brush, etc.
8) Shampoo, conditioner, leave-in conditioner (use it when you are brushing the fur)
9) Carrier
10) treats

Dang that was really hard to narrow it down to only the things you really need!

Now that Nikki has stopped peeing in her crate I'm going to be getting her a bed for in there. Up until now I've been using a couple of baby blankets and towels. For Lexi's crate I use a regular cheap pillow. I got an allergy pillow cover that is water proof and a quilted pillow sham. I love it because it only cost $20 (cheaper if you have a pillow you can use) and the cover is removable for washing. Dog beds that have removable washable covers are expensive (start at $45)! Nikki's crate is smaller then Lexi's so I'm going to have to sew something. One of these days I need to go to Hobby Lobby and look around.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Quincymom@Aug 4 2005, 07:31 PM
Natures Miracle!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87281
[/QUOTE]
I've actually been disappointed with Nature's Miracle. I used it for over a year. Last month I crawled around on the floor one night with a black light. I could see a yellow stain whereever she had peed, even after treating (soaking) with Nature's Miracle. I'm now on the hunt for something that cleans the stain and also cleans it so that it doesn't appear under a black light.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
PATIENCE!!!! LOL!

get a good book on positive dog training. ask a petsmart trainer.
or enroll your pup in the class

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
LOVE, you all forgot LOVE!!

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
A big one on my list would be a bell, inexpensive is fine,

If you really wanted, you can buy a nice soft and light leather collar that for pups under a pound and fancy bells to go with it, but if you don't want to spend the money on something they will probably grow out of ..... just pick up a cheap tiny cat collar and a tiny bell you could probably get both for under $5 total.

Depending on the inhabitants of your house, a new puppy is going to be under everyones feet all the time, a bell is a GREAT way to make sure they are safe. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by GlamourDog@Aug 10 2005, 10:48 PM
A big one on my list would be a bell, inexpensive is fine,

If you really wanted, you can buy a nice soft and light leather collar that for pups under a pound and fancy bells to go with it, but if you don't want to spend the money on something they will probably grow out of  .....  just pick up a cheap tiny cat collar and a tiny bell you could probably get both for under $5 total.

Depending on the inhabitants of your house, a new puppy is going to be under everyones feet all the time, a bell is  a GREAT way to make sure they are safe.  Better safe than sorry. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89314
[/QUOTE]

What an EXCELLENT idea!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
A first aid kit is an essential.

Triple antibiotic ointment
Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrocortisone cream
Alcohol swabs
Benadryl
Pepto Bismal
Kaopectate
Baby Aspirin
Self-adhering bandages
Gauze pads
Eye wash
Small syringe (no needle) marked w/m’s or cc’s for medication administration
Cold Pack
Styptic powder to stop bleeding
Cotton swabs/cotton balls
Thermometer (normal rectal temperature is between 101.0 to 102.5 degrees)
Copy of shot record (in plastic sheet)
Pedialite to replace fluids

You can get one of those plastic storage conatiners with a lid at Walmart or the dollar store to keep everything in. Also, download a copy of of this emergency first aid for pets from the Red Cross, put it in a plastic sleeve, and tuck it in there, too.

http://www.redcross.org/services/disaster/...d/firstaid.html

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@Aug 11 2005, 02:36 PM
A first aid kit is an essential.

Triple antibiotic ointment
Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrocortisone cream
Alcohol swabs
Benadryl
Pepto Bismal
Kaopectate
Baby Aspirin
Self-adhering bandages
Gauze pads
Eye wash
Small syringe (no needle) marked w/m’s or cc’s for medication administration
Cold Pack
Styptic powder to stop bleeding
Cotton swabs/cotton balls
Thermometer (normal rectal temperature is between 101.0 to 102.5 degrees)
Copy of shot record (in plastic sheet)
Pedialite to replace fluids

You can get one of those plastic storage conatiners with a lid at Walmart or the dollar store to keep everything in. Also, download a copy of of this emergency first aid for pets from the Red Cross, put it in a plastic sleeve, and tuck it in there, too.

http://www.redcross.org/services/disaster/...d/firstaid.html
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89518
[/QUOTE]

Good to know

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Originally posted by Violet's Mom+Aug 11 2005, 01:16 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nichole
@Aug 11 2005, 02:07 PM
Bitter Apple and a spray bottle to put it in!  

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89492

Does that stuff really work? Can you spray it on leather.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89502
[/B][/QUOTE]
Toby wasn't much of a chewer, so I never used it for him, however, my beagle, Wally was pretty bad. I sprayed it on my coffee table, PS2 cords, some tassles, etc. and it worked. You have to spray it daily, but I think with Wally, I only had to spray it three times, before he stopped.

I wish everything with puppy training were that easy!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 4 2005, 05:14 PM
I totally went overboard when I got Lexi.  I got tons of shirts for her (grew out of those pretty fast
).  I was better with Nikk since I was going overboard on the price of the puppy. 

Must Haves
1) Food dish
2) Food
3) Harness and Leash
4) Toys
5) crate if crate training
6) Nutrical
7) Comb, slicker brush, etc.
8) Shampoo, conditioner, leave-in conditioner (use it when you are brushing the fur)
9) Carrier
10) treats

Dang that was really hard to narrow it down to only the things you really need!

Now that Nikki has stopped peeing in her crate I'm going to be getting her a bed for in there.  Up until now I've been using a couple of baby blankets and towels.  For Lexi's crate I use a regular cheap pillow.  I got an allergy pillow cover that is water proof and a quilted pillow sham.  I love it because it only cost $20 (cheaper if you have a pillow you can use) and the cover is removable for washing.  Dog beds that have removable washable covers are expensive (start at $45)!  Nikki's crate is smaller then Lexi's so I'm going to have to sew something.  One of these days I need to go to Hobby Lobby and look around.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87237
[/QUOTE]

#8: LEAVE IN CONDITIONER? I CAN SEE WHERE THAT WOULD COME IN HANDY, ALTHOUGH TUCK DOESN'T REALLY NEED IT RIGHT NOW, BUT WHAT KIND SHOULD SHOULD I GET?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Remember to never leave a collar or harness on a puppy or dog when left unattended. There have been a lot of tragic stories of dogs strangling themselves on crates, gates, x-pens, etc.

Also, if you are going to peepad train buy Simple Solution Potty Training Aid, you spray it on the peepad to train the puppy where to urinate and poop. Humans can't smell it but the puppy/dog can!

Have fun! :D

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I don't know if this was already mentioned, but don't forget a nice brush. I know when I got Toby, his hair was long and I wanted him to start learning what grooming was as soon as possible.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts