Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what age is puppy ready for a top knot to be made? Coco is 8 weeks and his little hairs are getting in his eyes. I wet them down to push them over a couple of times during the day to move them from his eyes. I can't wait to be able to put it up in a bow.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
When it starts flopping in their face, you can put one tiny band in. I like the small, lightweight ones from dog-bows.com (The finishing touch). Cut it out and put it back in daily. Make sure it is nice and loose at first. Also, after you put it in, immediately give a treat and start a distracting game. Most dogs will forget about it if they are immediately entertained.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you like the bands or barrette's?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just started putting Deni's hair in topknots this past weekend...she's a very small 14 wks and her hair was getting in her eyes way too much making them tear more and increasing the staining. Right now, I'm just able to get a decent fountain in. I've done both double and single fountains so far. Doubles seem to work better. I'm also using baby barrettes to help hold the loose hairs up along with either Wella Kolestral or Dep (non-alcohol) gel. I've even tried hairspray once without much success. The baby barrettes I got at WalMart, they are about 1/2" long and came in a package of 12. These really help with keeping the hair out of the eyes, but I need to check them often to make sure they don't fall out otherwise she'll start chewing (possibly eating) them. I won't put them on if I won't be home, but when I'm home they will be in so I can see her pretty eyes!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts