Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ty's hair is now long enough to gather in a band and he looks just adorable (that is when I can get him to hold still long enough to get the band in
). My question is, Do I take the band out at night or leave it in as long as it will stay? I don't want the hair to get tangled in the band but sometimes it's such work to get it in I hate to take it out and start over the next day.

·
Registered
307 Posts
i read somewhere that you should take it out nightly and redo it everyday to prevent breakage (just like human hair) and scalp something or another (don't remember exactly the wording).

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I always leave Lady's in and just re-do everyday, sometimes every other day. Her hair is so long, it covers her eyes when it's not in a topknot and she can't see.

As long as it's not too tight (no slanted eyes!), I don't think you should have a problem with leaving it in.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
I have to take Paris' out every night. If I leave it in more than a day it gets really tangled.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I do chelseys top knot one or twice a week. I use the sally paper to protect the hair.
I know most people do this every day.. Chelsey's never comes out

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I use the Sally papers, too, but Lady's topknot looks messy if I leave it in more than 2 days. The papers are wonderful for protecting both the hair and the bow.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmmmmmm, what's a Sally paper?
I don't suppose JMM has a picture tutorial on doing a topknot for us :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Oohh..I'd like to see how the Sally paper is used too! I leave Katie's top knot in for a day or two.. It does get tangled from time to time. so if the papers can stop that, I'd love to try them!
Jess

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Yes, JMM does have pictorial on this as well
Here is the link.

Top knot
I normally do chelseys this way my vet was very impressed when I brought chesley in for her spay. She said normally the bows fall out durring the night. They could not belive that they stayed in. I always make sure i loosen the bottom of the puff like she shows . I even tought chelsey how to blink so I can tell if it is to tight. my husband said that she is just blinking but I know better she blinks when I tell her. I blink my eyes and then say blink and she does it.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder if Ty will EVER be so wonderful and gracious about being groomed as her pups are.............

I think she should publish a book!!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by elliesmomie+Aug 23 2005, 01:57 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-yorktesemomma
@Aug 23 2005, 10:58 AM
Oohh..I'd like to see how the Sally paper is used too!  I leave Katie's top knot in for a day or two..  It does get tangled from time to time. so if the papers can stop that, I'd love to try them!
  Jess
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93430

i'd like to see, too!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93447
[/B][/QUOTE]

Chelsey posted the link to JMM's top knot tutorial above. It shows how to use the papers. Basically, the topknot is wrapped in the papers. It keeps the straggers form sticking out, protects the hair from the bands and saves the bands. (I have never broken or had to replace a band on one of my bows and I have had some for years).

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
You also have to make sure you purchase the right type of bands as well. the worng type will break hair when trying to remove it. These one are easy to remove.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks!! The tutorial was great. I printed it off. I showed it to Ty and explained to him how he is SUPPOSED to behave but we are still working on it! I do need to pick up a rat tail comb before we do any serious topknotting however.

Where do you get the bands?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
We just use a child's cloth pony tail holder in Rex's hair for his ponytail on top of his head. I usually leave it in all the time (or he can't see...his hair tends to go straight over his eyes). I take it out everyday or every other day depending on how it is looking, there are times I have put it in twice a day if I get it too loose. I usually give him a couple hours without it so he can rest his head and then put it back in.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Aug 23 2005, 06:17 PM
Thanks!!  The tutorial was great.  I printed it off.  I showed it to Ty and explained to him how he is SUPPOSED to behave but we are still working on it!  I do need to pick up a rat tail comb before we do any serious topknotting however.

Where do you get the bands?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93523
[/QUOTE]

I get my bands from http://www.dog-bows.com/.

If you order more bows, remind me and I'll be happy to send you some extra bands and papers to try.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts