Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bijou likes to take both paws and pull his hair down in his eyes. He does this when it is in a top knot and when it isn't. How do I get him to stop this or protect the hair when it is up? There isn't enough gell to hold his hair up because tries to pull it down in his face constantly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,288 Posts
I would be sure I'm using a lightweight band that won't snag on the hair.

Has he seen an ophthalmologist? Rubbing around their eyes may indicate he has some irritation there.

I would try a heavy cream conditioner on that hair.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
Is he new to wearing bows? Maybe he's just not used to them yet. The best way to get him used to them is to distract him after you put his hair in a topknot until he forgets about it. That would be a good time for a walk or a Greenie - anything to get his mind off his hairdo!

What kind of bands do you use? Could they be itching him? I have always been stickler for good bands since Lady wears a topknot 24/7 and has done so for over 5 years. I have never had a problem with breakage, baldness, etc. I get all my bands from the Finishing Touch. I get the 1/4 inch medium weight bands. They are the same bands I use on the backs of my bows.

http://www.dog-bows.com/cgi-bin/TheFinishi...lear&category=0

My vet told me something yesterday which convinced me that the type of bands/bows you use is important. She always comments on Lady's bows, but really to Lady, telling her how cute her bow is, etc, so she wasn't aware that I made them. Yesterday when I took Lady to have her eye rechecked, she really checked out Lady's Jack-o-Lantern bow and finally asked me where I was getting such "high quality" bows. It turns out she saw a Shiz Tsu last week who had lost all the hair in the back of her head, it had completely "died" and would never grow back, all from wearing top knots with poor quality bows.

Now, as flattered as I was for her seal of approval, I know the type of band I use is really what protects the hair, no matter how cute or clever my bows are! I also do Lady's topknots according to JMM's tutorial, with the papers, and loosen them with a rat tail comb like she suggests, which is also important.

So any of you who are using bands from your child's braces or cheap bands from Walmart might want to consider ordering the real groomers bands. And be sure and review JMM's wonderful tutorial:

http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2351
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Marj, which size band do you recommend? Catcher usually doesn't wear a bow and I've enjoyed the colorful bands I get from Target. They are a latex type material but I surely don't want to ruin his hair, etc. But I'm not sure which size is best ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,615 Posts
Marj, I have been using bands supplied by my kid's orthodontist. They are made of silicone, so they don't catch on the hair, and have no colors or dyes to transfer. Best of all, he gives them to me for free...I guess two in orthodonture plus one more in the wings equals free elastic bands. Any way, he uses these particular bands because they are very stretchy, do not break, and don't irritate the inside of the mouth.

We still have a problem with Valletta's eyebrows...they just never seem to stay in place even with gel. They seem to be the slowest growing part of her face. Her hair is not breaking from the bands (I can tell because there are no pieces of hair caught when I cut out the band). I think it might be from the brush I'm using. I can't wait to get my three new Chrissy brushes and combs. I ordered the buttercomb rattail, the 27mm gold, and the slicker (Mark something). They are supposed to arrive by Nov. 1, so I'll let you know how they work for us. We are going to try to grow out Valletta's coat a bit for winter so these new tools should arrive just in time!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Oct 29 2005, 03:35 PM
Marj, I have been using bands supplied by my kid's orthodontist.  They are made of silicone, so they don't catch on the hair, and have no colors or dyes to transfer.  Best of all, he gives them to me for free...I guess two in orthodonture plus one more in the wings equals free elastic bands.  Any way, he uses these particular bands because they are very stretchy, do not break, and don't irritate the inside of the mouth. 

We still have a problem with Valletta's eyebrows...they just never seem to stay in place even with gel.  They seem to be the slowest growing part of her face.  Her hair is not breaking from the bands (I can tell because there are no pieces of hair caught when I cut out the band).  I think it might be from the brush I'm using.  I can't wait to get my three new Chrissy brushes and combs.  I ordered the buttercomb rattail, the 27mm gold, and the slicker (Mark something).  They are supposed to arrive by Nov. 1, so I'll let you know how they work for us.  We are going to try to grow out Valletta's coat a bit for winter so these new tools should arrive just in time!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114620
[/QUOTE]

Catcher has that same issue of the eyebrow area hair being just a little too short to get in the band. It just doesn't seem to grow at all. I have been waiting for months for it to be long enough!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Oct 29 2005, 02:41 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-saltymalty
@Oct 29 2005, 03:35 PM
Marj, I have been using bands supplied by my kid's orthodontist.  They are made of silicone, so they don't catch on the hair, and have no colors or dyes to transfer.  Best of all, he gives them to me for free...I guess two in orthodonture plus one more in the wings equals free elastic bands.  Any way, he uses these particular bands because they are very stretchy, do not break, and don't irritate the inside of the mouth. 

We still have a problem with Valletta's eyebrows...they just never seem to stay in place even with gel.  They seem to be the slowest growing part of her face.  Her hair is not breaking from the bands (I can tell because there are no pieces of hair caught when I cut out the band).  I think it might be from the brush I'm using.  I can't wait to get my three new Chrissy brushes and combs.  I ordered the buttercomb rattail, the 27mm gold, and the slicker (Mark something).  They are supposed to arrive by Nov. 1, so I'll let you know how they work for us.  We are going to try to grow out Valletta's coat a bit for winter so these new tools should arrive just in time!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114620
Catcher has that same issue of the eyebrow area hair being just a little too short to get in the band. It just doesn't seem to grow at all. I have been waiting for months for it to be long enough!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114624
[/B][/QUOTE]

Someone on this list mentioned a product called BioSilk Rock Hard Gelee hard hold gel. I found it at Trade Secret Beauty Supply, Sally did not have it. It will stick that hair up so (well) rock hard that it can not get in their eyes. After I put Lacie's top knot up I put a dab on the counter and dip my finger in it and just pat it on the front to hold it up. It stays up all day and when I wash her face it come out easy. Works great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by JMM@Oct 29 2005, 01:28 PM
I would be sure I'm using a lightweight band that won't snag on the hair.

Has he seen an ophthalmologist? Rubbing around their eyes may indicate he has some irritation there.

I would try a heavy cream conditioner on that hair.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114601
[/QUOTE]

Actually, I don't think that it is an eye problem but maybe he is trying to get that wild hair out of his eyes and he can't push his hair back.

I use the little blue bands from laineeltd.com.

What would be a good heavy cream conditioner to use?

I guess you can see his problem in the picture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
I wish I had help for you, but I don't know what would be best. I can offer sympathy though, Bella and I are having the very same problem, I can't wait for her hair there to grow grow grow!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Oct 29 2005, 02:41 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-saltymalty
@Oct 29 2005, 03:35 PM
Marj, I have been using bands supplied by my kid's orthodontist.  They are made of silicone, so they don't catch on the hair, and have no colors or dyes to transfer.  Best of all, he gives them to me for free...I guess two in orthodonture plus one more in the wings equals free elastic bands.  Any way, he uses these particular bands because they are very stretchy, do not break, and don't irritate the inside of the mouth. 

We still have a problem with Valletta's eyebrows...they just never seem to stay in place even with gel.  They seem to be the slowest growing part of her face.  Her hair is not breaking from the bands (I can tell because there are no pieces of hair caught when I cut out the band).  I think it might be from the brush I'm using.  I can't wait to get my three new Chrissy brushes and combs.  I ordered the buttercomb rattail, the 27mm gold, and the slicker (Mark something).  They are supposed to arrive by Nov. 1, so I'll let you know how they work for us.  We are going to try to grow out Valletta's coat a bit for winter so these new tools should arrive just in time!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114620
Catcher has that same issue of the eyebrow area hair being just a little too short to get in the band. It just doesn't seem to grow at all. I have been waiting for months for it to be long enough!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114624
[/B][/QUOTE]


Originally posted by bellasmommy@Oct 29 2005, 05:06 PM
I wish I had help for you, but I don't know what would be best.  I can offer sympathy though, Bella and I are having the very same problem, I can't wait for her hair there to grow grow grow!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114650
[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's an inherited problem since Bella, Catcher and Bijou are related.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
laineeltd.com also has wonderful bands for topknots.

K&C's mom, I get the 1/4 inch bands. I double them. I use one doubled on the pony tail, fold it over, then use another one doubled over the papers.

Saltymalty, I don't know if it's true, but I read somewhere not to use the orthodontic bands on fragile Maltese hair, only to use grooming bands. I have never bought anything else, but have bought bows that came with different bands on the backs and some extras and I didn't like them as much. They didn't have the "coating" (sort of looks powdery) that the Finishing Touch bands have that keep them from snagging and catching on the hair. I have to say I have never had a problem with breakage.

The only other thing I can think of is how are you removing the bands? I have the special scissors they make to cut them. I think if you try to undo them, you could break the hair.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top