Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Benji is a 3 mths male maltese pup. He is playful but has started biting and growling recently. Can we use Cesar Milan technique on maltese pups to discipline?

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
I wouldn't. His techniques have been largely disproven as ineffective and often harmful by true behaviorist trainers. Find an animal behaviorist who uses positive reinforcement training rather than punishment.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Benji is a 3 mths male maltese pup. He is playful but has started biting and growling recently. Can we use Cesar Milan technique on maltese pups to discipline?
I did buy his book "How to Raise the Perfect Dog, from Puppyhood & Beyond.
I also found an obedience class that I started Zoe in when she was 4 months old. She is now a Therapy Dog, so early training and socializing is key. She has never been into the chewing things up or being aggressive to others.

·
Premium Member
Paulann & Abella
1,276 Posts
When I first got Abella somebody told me about Cesar Milan. I went to the used book store and bought every book and video they had and read through all of them. Interesting how the "fear factor" of his training methods wasn't what stood out to me. What did stand out was WOW you can teach/train a dog to do almost anything with commitment/time/patience. I began my research on other training methods and at that point found the Sirius training which is very positive reinforcement and rewards oriented - Immediately I knew those were the techniques I wanted to use for training Abella. Here in Northern Calif Sirius puppy socialization classes and training classes are offered at our local Pet Food Express Stores. They also have online classes offered. You may want to see if these will meet your goals needs. I loved their weekly puppy socialization classes and continued to take Abella for years - far beyond when she was a puppy. The teacher loved having Abella in class because she would gently but firmly "teach" the rambunctious puppies when an older dog wants to be left alone and to "bug off" - Abella was also so good at encouraging the very shy shaking new puppies to come out from under there chair and play/explore. The Sirius dog training 1, 2 & 3 classes are very good too - They even have trick classes which are so much fun for you and your dog. I'm sure the individual teacher makes a big difference too - We had an excellent very well qualified teacher that was amazing. Perhaps check them out. Training & socializing are so important - I'm glad you are asking questions and doing your research. Please keep us updated to your progress!
🐶 🐾🌻

ABOUT SIRIUS PUPPY TRAINING

Until SIRIUS came along, most classes only taught adult dogs repetitive on-leash obedience drills. SIRIUS emphasized the importance of teaching bite inhibition, early socialization, temperament training, and — simple solutions for common and predictable behavior problems, as well as basic household manners. Moreover, SIRIUS championed user-friendly and dog-friendly dog training specifically, that training should be as enjoyable for dogs as it is for owners, and that training should only involve quick, easy, and effective methods that are within the capabilities of all family members, especially including children.
During the 80's, the SIRIUS Puppy Training video — the all-time best-selling, and the very first dog training video ever produced—helped spread the word about lure/reward, fun and games dog-friendly dog training. In the 90's, SIRIUS was adapted for television and Dogs With Dunbar became the first hit television series since Barbara Woodhouse. The program aired on Discovery Channel in Europe, and then in many countries around the world. SIRIUS established the hallmark for puppy classes and its concept has been adopted and adapted by most educated trainers. All thanks to SIRIUS, puppy classes are now taught all over the world.

Reactions: edelweiss

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,759 Posts
Great info Paulann---did not know about this program. I am never too old to learn!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I first got Abella somebody told me about Cesar Milan. I went to the used book store and bought every book and video they had and read through all of them. Interesting how the "fear factor" of his training methods wasn't what stood out to me. What did stand out was WOW you can teach/train a dog to do almost anything with commitment/time/patience. I began my research on other training methods and at that point found the Sirius training which is very positive reinforcement and rewards oriented - Immediately I knew those were the techniques I wanted to use for training Abella. Here in Northern Calif Sirius puppy socialization classes and training classes are offered at our local Pet Food Express Stores. They also have online classes offered. You may want to see if these will meet your goals needs. I loved their weekly puppy socialization classes and continued to take Abella for years - far beyond when she was a puppy. The teacher loved having Abella in class because she would gently but firmly "teach" the rambunctious puppies when an older dog wants to be left alone and to "bug off" - Abella was also so good at encouraging the very shy shaking new puppies to come out from under there chair and play/explore. The Sirius dog training 1, 2 & 3 classes are very good too - They even have trick classes which are so much fun for you and your dog. I'm sure the individual teacher makes a big difference too - We had an excellent very well qualified teacher that was amazing. Perhaps check them out. Training & socializing are so important - I'm glad you are asking questions and doing your research. Please keep us updated to your progress!
🐶 🐾🌻

ABOUT SIRIUS PUPPY TRAINING

Until SIRIUS came along, most classes only taught adult dogs repetitive on-leash obedience drills. SIRIUS emphasized the importance of teaching bite inhibition, early socialization, temperament training, and — simple solutions for common and predictable behavior problems, as well as basic household manners. Moreover, SIRIUS championed user-friendly and dog-friendly dog training specifically, that training should be as enjoyable for dogs as it is for owners, and that training should only involve quick, easy, and effective methods that are within the capabilities of all family members, especially including children.
During the 80's, the SIRIUS Puppy Training video — the all-time best-selling, and the very first dog training video ever produced—helped spread the word about lure/reward, fun and games dog-friendly dog training. In the 90's, SIRIUS was adapted for television and Dogs With Dunbar became the first hit television series since Barbara Woodhouse. The program aired on Discovery Channel in Europe, and then in many countries around the world. SIRIUS established the hallmark for puppy classes and its concept has been adopted and adapted by most educated trainers. All thanks to SIRIUS, puppy classes are now taught all over the world.
Thank you for the detailed response

1 - 7 of 7 Posts