Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I teach Dixie to sit still for grooming, and mostly barrette/bow application? She is like a jumping bean. Doesn't want any part of it. I bet there is a thread about this. I know I'm not the only one w/ a jumping bean at grooming time. i have been patient and understanding but not making progress. I like how some malts lay down to get the bow attached.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Originally posted by Fach@Nov 4 2005, 01:36 PM
How can I teach Dixie to sit still for grooming, and mostly barrette/bow application? She is like a jumping bean. Doesn't want any part of it. I bet there is a thread about this. I know I'm not the only one w/ a jumping bean at grooming time. i have been patient and understanding but not making progress. I like how some malts lay down to get the bow attached.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=116614
[/QUOTE]
I should add that she is fine for bath. it's the combing and bows we are having a problem with.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I had problems at first and from what I've read it's best at first to just do it for a couple seconds and then give her a treat and stop. Then next time do it for a little longer and treat. Build up the time spent doing this

Also, be sure she is up on a counter so you have control and she knows it is not play time, etc.

I try to make it a pleasant experience for Catcher and I give him a lot of kisses and talk softly and sweetly to him. I never thought I'd get to the point where he would let me mess with him but it did happen eventually.

There are threads on this subject but I can't seem to think of keywords to use to search for them, since there are a zillion threads with the word grooming in them, etc.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I need the answer to this one, too!
We just started growing out her topknot a couple of months ago and Abbey doesn't like it one bit! I'm hoping to get a nice bow her hair for Christmas pictures! I guess it would help if I didn't have to keep redoing it because I'm not so great at it!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I know this isnt what you wnt to hear but Prissy just sits still. any time I grab the hair on her head she plops down and freezes. I dont know who taught her that. I think working on a down stay command would help . Lots of love and treats. I would first start with barettes that you can clip in just a sec. Then you can do bands and bows that can take several mins to get right.

Sorry but this is my only advice I just got lucky.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I don't know that I can explain how this happens, but I put Sadie and Sassy on a throw pillow. They kind of put their chin down and this allows me to do the topknot. They have just always done it. Sassy was a little squirmy when she first came, but using the pillow somehow helps her settle down.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Nov 4 2005, 10:54 PM
I don't know that I can explain how this happens, but I put Sadie and Sassy on a throw pillow.  They kind of put their chin down and this allows me to do the topknot.  They have just always done it.  Sassy was a little squirmy when she first came, but using the pillow somehow helps her settle down.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=116821
[/QUOTE]
Hmmm, i'll try the pillow and see how it works. thank you for the help

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
I think it just takes time...After I get through combing Paris every morning with the CC comb, I pick up the rat tail comb and she automatically lays down. She will turn her head and I have to tell her to "look at mommy" and she turns back to me. She knows what the routine is. After you do it over and over I think she will get better for you. I still can't put a bow in very well
but that is my fault, not Paris'.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I used to have a devil of a time getting Valletta to sit still, until I read here about using the top of the washer (or dryer). I keep a towel on top of the dryer and that's her official grooming station. We also use it as a place to get ready to go out/wipe paws when we come in. I have a small towel rolled up that I use as a head rest and she now just lays down with her head on the roll. I think these little creatures are smart enough to know when they cannot get out of a situation, so instead of fight, she just gives in. I also think that now she enjoys our grooming sessions (which last about 20 minutes) because it's our time. The only thing she does not do is roll over to let me brush out her belly. We have to do that with her standing up and me holding the brush up side down. I don't want to force her, but she has started to lift up a leg for me in anticipation of belly brushing. I think tons of treats and a lot of patience go a long way. Just keep thinking of all those beautiful bows you can buy from SM members....

·
Registered
522 Posts
I started from the very beginning of putting Izzy on my desk beside my keyboard, I'd get eye level with her and when she put her head down to mine, I'd click and give her a treat (she's clicker trained) Long before she had any hair to even work with, she was laying her head flat on command. Now she's far more patient than I am, most days.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by 20202@Nov 7 2005, 10:06 PM
I started from the very beginning of putting Izzy on my desk beside my keyboard, I'd get eye level with her and when she put her head down to mine, I'd click and give her a treat  (she's clicker trained)  Long before she had any hair to even work with, she was laying her head flat on command.  Now she's far more patient than I am, most days.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117809
[/QUOTE]
Anyone try the clicker training on their husband yet?
Sorry, couldn't help myself.... :D

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Fach+Nov 8 2005, 05:37 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-20202
@Nov 7 2005, 10:06 PM
I started from the very beginning of putting Izzy on my desk beside my keyboard, I'd get eye level with her and when she put her head down to mine, I'd click and give her a treat  (she's clicker trained)  Long before she had any hair to even work with, she was laying her head flat on command.  Now she's far more patient than I am, most days.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118066
[/B][/QUOTE]
all good advise thanks everyone. we will continue working on it. just so u know we tried the rolled towel thing and Dixie was having NO PART of it

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Fach+Nov 8 2005, 06:37 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-20202
[/B][/QUOTE]
Too funny.....let me know if it works!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Fach+Nov 8 2005, 05:37 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-20202
[/B][/QUOTE]

I SO wish it worked...

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Originally posted by Fach+Nov 8 2005, 06:37 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-20202
[/B][/QUOTE]
Oh how I wish

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.