Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The anxiety is me not Bella! :new_Eyecrazy: We're getting ready to go to Gatlinburg on Memorial Day for a graduation. It's an eight hour drive from here. She is used to the car and riding around town but never for more than an hour. What do I do if the ride just gets to be too much? I've heard of people giving Benadryl but how much? Another thing she will have to be alone in the hotel room for a couple of hours is there anything special I should do or have? She's alone here some during the day but being in new place will she just freak out? I need all tips and advice ya'll have!! I'm probably stressin' over nothin' . She's always fine but she's my baby and I can't help but worry about her.

·
Registered
499 Posts
" Another thing she will have to be alone in the hotel room for a couple of hours is there anything special I should do or have? "

My only suggestion is maybe a friend or family member would let you gate off a bathroom or other safe area in their home so she can stay there while you are at the graduation. She would probably still be scared with the unfamiliar environment, but at least you know she would be safe, and not risk a maid or someone else at the hotel coming in (especially if she barks) and letting her loose or stealing her.
Quincymom

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
i'll be taking lucy up to a hotel in gainesville in a few days, so i feel your pain
we have a 4 hour drive. soo i cant offer advice BUT i'd appreciate some from others

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley has stayed in hotels alone before. I just make sure we get there early enough to show him where his wee pads are and he uses it at least once. We always leave the tv on so it will mask hall noise to keep him from barking (as much). I am sure he probably does bark or at least "woof" if he is there alone and hears something.

He has taken long car rides too...When we have to travel more than two hours, we make sure we stop for potty breaks. He has always done fine....
Good luck!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Can I ride along to Gatlinburg TN with you? I love love love that place. I will watch your baby Bella.

My advice would be to take water from home, stop every few hours and stretch your legs as well as Bellas. It's better to stop at a McDonalds or something rather than those rest areas along the highways, in my opinion. Give Bella a drink, a small snack and hit the road again.

If possible take her bed or her crate, some of her toys, her blanket, etc and make her feel as much like home as possible. Turning the tv on is a great idea. Enjoy Gatlinburg, there is so much to do. Not to mention one of the worlds largest scrapbooking stores in the USA near by.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
We have to do the hotel thing in July, we plan to put the do not disturb sign on the door and leaving the TV on. Indy won't be alone long , we will be checking in on him a lot, because we won't be far away at a wedding. I hope all goes well for you and your little one

·
Registered
522 Posts
We're smuggling Izzy into a no-pets hotel towards the end of this month for overnight.

We'll know how well that goes after this visit. LOL

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We're smuggling Izzy into a no-pets hotel towards the end of this month for overnight.

We're sorta doing the same thing. This is a no pets hotel but when we called to make the reservation we asked if they took therapy dogs and they said of course. Bella is not a therapy dog (well she is my therapy sometimes) and we never said she was. They asked how big she was and when we told them they laughed and said "Oh well that won't be a problem at all!"

Can I ride along to Gatlinburg TN with you? I love love love that place. I will watch your baby Bella. smilie_daumenpos.gif

I wish you could I'd love to have a puppy sitter with me!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
My dogs often travel long distances with me. I have crates that have grates in the bottom, but usually just put their bed in and stop along the way, unless I'm traveling late at night. I think you will find that your pup sleeps most of the way.
When you get to the hotel just be sure you leave her in her crate when you go out. I once transported a lost Bichon from Mississippi to Dallas, Texas who had escaped from a motel bathroom when the maid went in to clean. She spent two weeks running around an area with a busy highway before found and turned into rescue.

While I travel in one of my motorhomes most of the time to make it easier on my dogs, when I travel by car and stay in a motel or hotel, I always put my "Do not disturb" sign on the door when I leave.

If you stop for a bathroom break, try to find a place where other dogs have not gone. I go to the far end of a rest stop area if I stop at a place like this.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@May 18 2005, 12:06 PM

when I travel by car and stay in a motel or hotel, I always put my "Do not disturb" sign on the door when I leave.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63241
[/QUOTE]

We do this too, forgot to mention that. He doesn't stay in a crate, so if that sign is on the door, nobody should go in...

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+May 18 2005, 12:07 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LucyLou
@May 18 2005, 12:06 PM

when I travel by car and stay in a motel or hotel, I always put my "Do not disturb" sign on the door when I leave.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63241

We do this too, forgot to mention that. He doesn't stay in a crate, so if that sign is on the door, nobody should go in...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63243
[/B][/QUOTE]

The dog I took home to Texas was in the bathroom. I don't trust just the "do not disturb" sign as some maids want to get their work finished by a certain time, and I have had them come in, expecially if they see you leave. Therefore, it's the crate for me if they must be left in the room.

·
Registered
499 Posts
"The dog I took home to Texas was in the bathroom. I don't trust just the "do not disturb" sign as some maids want to get their work finished by a certain time, and I have had them come in, expecially if they see you leave. Therefore, it's the crate for me if they must be left in the room"
Yup had that happen to me--went out to get breakfast and the maid walked in on my husband still asleep in his bed. The "do not disturb" sign was on the door.
Quincymom

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Sometimes they have signs that say "no maid service"-I have put that out too..

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have a thing about maid service anyway...I'm always afraid they will use my toothbrush to clean the toilet with or something. ... so I always ask at the front desk when I check in for NO MAID Service and then if they don't have a sign for the door i tape one on that says NO MAID service. (I have even written it in Spanish cause they didn't read ENglish.) LOL I know i'm compulsive hehe i can't help it I really do try not to be.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the help! I'm feeling better about it now. I really like the no maid service idea, we'll probably do that. I am bringing her crate for the car but she has managed to escape from it before. I'd be nervous leaving her in it in the hotel fearing she may hurt herself trying to play houdini again. I'm gonna cross my fingers and hope for the best.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I went to visit my brother and the drive took two days and Bella was such a trooper. We drove from Texas to Arizona and she did just fine. She acted like everytime we pulled over for food or so she could use the bathroom that she was the boss leading the way and we were just on some kind of treasure hunt. The only problem we had was the hotel. It was "pet-friendly" and Bella was uncomfortable with that. She could tell she wasn't the first dog to ever be there, and it really bothered her that she couldn't "find" the other dogs. She acted like the hotel was dirty and would only lay on her own blanket. I think all that is my fault, she gets a bath once a week and smells better than most humans
I think the bottom line is your Maltese would rather be with you than left at home, so she will propbably just be glad shes going and love it. Make sure she eats enough, and maybe she will sleep most of the way. Bella recongnizes suitcases and tries to get in them now, these little sweeties are sooo smart! Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts