Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Im traveling to Florida in April and i dont have a carrier that is approved for travel so i was wondering if anyone here has one they are selling really cheap. I dont have much money, (tickets are paid for by my grandmother) and the bags arond here are so expensive. So i would love if anyone had one they are willing to give away for cheap. Thank you!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow that is great pricing!!! Its still a little high when you dont have anything to spend but if it comes to the point where i dont have a choice that is deffinetly an option for me thank you very much!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MeandMyMalt@Oct 28 2005, 04:57 PM
Wow that is great pricing!!! Its still a little high when you dont have anything to spend but if it comes to the point where i dont have a choice that is deffinetly an option for me thank you very much!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114367
[/QUOTE]

What price point are you looking for and what size is your Malt?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It will be difficult to find anything less than $20. Don't forget the bags are not small and the shipping cost will be high too. Unless you find someone local, it will be difficult to avoid the shipping costs.

Maybe you can ask your parents for some help?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kallie/Catcher's Mom,
I dont really know i was hoping to get a uses one for 10 or less.

CharmyPoo,
It is my parents who want to buy a used one, i personally dont mind getting a new one but they dont want to spend money on a new one when they can get a used one for cheaper.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Here's a thought...Target sometimes has great markdowns on their things. I know they carry bags, so you might want to check them out. If you have one locally, that would save on S&H. Another idea, check thrift shops. Our SPCA has one and they often have very nice pet items that owners have donated after their pet has passed.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Do you have a friend or neighbor that you might be able to borrow one from? When my mom had to re-home her little doggie she gave her kennel to the thrift store because the family already had their own kennel. The thrift store had a price of about $5 on the kennel and it was almost brand new. You might check there.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
saltymalty and Sassy's mommy,
thats a great idea to check a trift store or the SPCA. I am thinking of asking a couple friend that have dogs, but i wanted one to keep so i have it for anytime.

Msloke,
yes i have checked ebay and the only one i could find that was cheap had a very high shipping and handleing.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I saw some at Big Lots that were airline approved the other day .. now they were fancy and all beautiful but they were only 12 bucks.

NOt sure if you have a Big Lots or not and I will have to say ours is HUGE and great BUT we have a distrubution center in o ur town but it won't hurt looking there.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Originally posted by Theresa@Oct 29 2005, 10:05 AM
What do they consider airline approved? just curious

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=114545
[/QUOTE]

Is this to me? IF so I have NO Idea. LOL...there was just a tag attached that said Airline approved. I don't fly very often and when I do my dog (if i ever get one lol) Will be staying with my mom. She is as excited about the puppy as she was a grandchild. lol

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wow - those are great suggestions to finding inexpensive airline approved pet carriers.

I would love to travel with Molly by plane, but most airlines charge. I think AA and UA are at $80 each way or $160 rt.

·
Registered
522 Posts
We just flew from Pennsylvania to Texas on AirTrans and it was $65. for Izzy's ticket (one way)
I think each airline has a posting on their websites of what is considered approved by their airline. Air Trans web site reads:

We accept small, domesticated dogs, cats and birds that will fit in an approved carrier under the seat. This would mean no larger than 10" high X 11" long X 21" wide for travel on our Boeing 717 and 737 aircraft. The weight of the pet plus carrier cannot exceed 40 pounds or roughly 18 kilos.

Izzy was wonderful on the flight, she's a seasoned traveler already.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Nov 7 2005, 11:59 PM
We just flew from Pennsylvania to Texas on AirTrans and it was $65. for Izzy's ticket  (one way)
I think each airline has a posting on their websites of what is considered approved by their airline.  Air Trans web site reads:

We accept small, domesticated dogs, cats and birds that will fit in an approved carrier under the seat. This would mean no larger than 10" high X 11" long X 21" wide for travel on our Boeing 717 and 737 aircraft. The weight of the pet plus carrier cannot exceed 40 pounds or roughly 18 kilos.

Izzy was wonderful on the flight, she's a seasoned traveler already.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117802
[/QUOTE]

If you have a local dog rescue place they might loan you one in exchange for some help with the dogs

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i just bought one from petco yesterday, because big lots didn't have any. Im upset because online it was $20 but at the store it was $30 but i still got it because he grew out of his other one and i can use it any time besides flying, i just hope he doesn't grow out of this one before April. I wanted to get the large but it wasn't airline approved so i had to get the small (2 sizes) How much more do malts grow after 6 1/2 months old? There is still a little room left for new growth. He is 5 lbs. It said up to 8lbs but i doubt it would fit that.

Heres the carrier: http://petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=7865&...N=22+97+30+5513

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Wow, that is a really nice looking carrier. It's hard to say how much they'll grow as it is difference with each... some grow a lot at first and then slow down and others keep on growing for a while. Catcher gained a pound or two after 6 months. He got a lot taller during that time, also.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have that carrier and I love it!! I paid less than $30 though (I think I paid 20 or 25). Miko is 2.5 yrs old and 7 lbs but slightly overweight and he fits perfectly into the carrier. I think at 6 months he weight around 4 lbs but I really can't remember. Its all about height and length though becuase I see pics of malts here that seem to weigh less than Miko but seem to have taller and longer frames?? Pictures are deceiving though and really you just don't know at what weight/height/length your baby will end up at. But I love the carrier!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by okw@Nov 13 2005, 01:07 PM
I have that carrier and I love it!!  I paid less than $30 though (I think I paid 20 or 25).  Miko is 2.5 yrs old and 7 lbs but slightly overweight and he fits perfectly into the carrier.  I think at 6 months he weight around 4 lbs but I really can't remember.  Its all about height and length though becuase I see pics of malts here that seem to weigh less than Miko but seem to have taller and longer frames??  Pictures are deceiving though and really you just don't know at what weight/height/length your baby will end up at.  But I love the carrier!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119262
[/QUOTE]

do you have the small?? i was thinking he would get to about 7lbs so if your dog fits, im pretty sure obi would. All the doubling rules calculated to about 6 1/2 lbs-7lbs so it seems right but right now im thinking 7-8.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by MeandMyMalt+Nov 14 2005, 05:10 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-okw
@Nov 13 2005, 01:07 PM
I have that carrier and I love it!!  I paid less than $30 though (I think I paid 20 or 25).  Miko is 2.5 yrs old and 7 lbs but slightly overweight and he fits perfectly into the carrier.  I think at 6 months he weight around 4 lbs but I really can't remember.  Its all about height and length though becuase I see pics of malts here that seem to weigh less than Miko but seem to have taller and longer frames??  Pictures are deceiving though and really you just don't know at what weight/height/length your baby will end up at.  But I love the carrier!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119262
do you have the small?? i was thinking he would get to about 7lbs so if your dog fits, im pretty sure obi would. All the doubling rules calculated to about 6 1/2 lbs-7lbs so it seems right but right now im thinking 7-8.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119653
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, I do have the small but just like I said, its all about the length and height and Miko is not that tall or long and he has plenty of room in the carrier. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts