Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone of you taken your dog on an airline trip lately ? inside the cabin ?

I have a friend who is a travel agent and she told me that all the airlines now do not accept dogs anymore inside the cabin.

We went to Arizona for Christmas like we always do since a few years (by car). It is the first time I have seen so many people on the road with pets. Could it be because of that new restriction ?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I took sunny on the plane like 3 days ago lol you can still bring them one flightes we flew continental and it was $80 each way they must stay in there travel bag the whole time

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I think it depends on the airline. I don't think that Southwest allows dogs. On my Delta flight last month a little dog barked for part of the trip. It was hysterical. The airlines will only allow a certain number of animals inside the aircraft per flight. You have to reserve in advance and it costs you. One thing that I know for sure is that I wouldn't try to sneak one on. If I was flying, though, I would only want to have my baby with me and not in cargo!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I don't know anything about it really...but had a question...
Isn't cargo where they put them if you have them shipped when you buy them?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Hi Maltese Jane,

I took Peanut on Jet Blue a few weeks ago. The fare was $50 each way and he had to stay in his carrier the whole trip, but at one point I was allowed to hold the carrier on my lap. There was also another person a few seats behind me with a maltese too. I think the weight limit for the dog and carrier combined is 20 pounds and of course the carrier has to be able to fit under the seat in front of you. Hope this helps.
I'm not too familiar with other airline rules.

Alissa

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins+Jan 5 2005, 10:49 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Jan 5 2005, 10:39 PM
I don't know anything about it really...but had a question...
Isn't cargo where they put them if you have them shipped when you buy them?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=27928
Yeah unfortunately it is. I could never have a dog shipped, I would be worried sick
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=27935
[/B][/QUOTE]

I think I would too...I would drive before I did that...I know lots of people do it (ship them by plane) with no problems...but I don't think I could. -_-

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I wouldnt want my baby in cargo either... but then again Kodie is such a momma's boy that he will wanna sit on my lap if I ever took him on a plane (which isnt allowed).

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
ok, i checked the american airlines site.....cargo is still allowed. that freaks me out. in my dog magazines i see that there are buses that will transport.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I saw dogs in American Airlines terminal walking around or in carriers January 5 when I took my granddaughter to catch her flight back to Florida. This was at DFW. I've been flying with Pico on American for several years with him in his carrier in cabin.

I would be very surprised if AA is no longer allowing carry on dogs. I'm going to investigate further because I must take Pico several times a year and I can only fly American.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
OK. This is from the aa.com web site:

Traveling With Pets

General Information | Acceptance of Pets | Types of Pets Allowed | Pets Traveling In The Cabin | Pets Traveling As Checked Baggage | Temperature Restrictions | Fees | Health Requirements | Destination Specific Information | International Travel | Connections to Other Carriers | Pets Traveling Alone

Please note that series 500 kennels cannot be checked on Boeing MD-80 (S80) aircraft. Series 700 kennels are not allowed on any of our aircraft. Please refer to Pets Traveling As Checked Baggage below for complete information.

The following information will provide the answers to many common questions regarding the transportation of pets. Special guidelines apply for travel to international destinations and Hawaii. Please refer to the appropriate sections below for more detailed information regarding those destinations.

General Information
Pets traveling with passengers must check in at the ticket counter. No curbside or self-service check-in is allowed. Please allow extra time beyond normal check-in guidelines, but not more than 4 hours prior to your flight time.

Acceptance of Pets
Checked or carry-on pets are allowed on domestic flights in the 48 contiguous states, Alaska, Puerto Rico and USVI.

Return to Top

Types of Pets Allowed
Cats
Dogs (American Airlines maintains the right to refuse acceptance of any dog that is exhibiting aggressive behavior.)
Household Birds (defined as a bird that can be domesticated and typically resides in the home. No poultry such as ducks or chickens, wild, undomesticated or birds of prey are accepted.)
Return to Top

Pets Traveling In The Cabin
See below for applicable Fees.
Charges are payable at the airport and the passenger must show the pet travel fee receipt at the departure gate.
The maximum size for cabin pet carriers is 23" long x 13" wide x 9" high. A pet kennel counts as a passenger's one carry-on bag.
Only one pet kennel per ticketed passenger may be accepted for travel in the cabin, as pets must go under the seat in front of you.
The kennel may contain two (2) dogs or cats but they must be the same species, ages between 8-weeks and 6-months, and weigh less than 20 lbs.
Animals must also be able to stand up, turn around and lay down in a natural position in the kennel.
Soft-sided pet carriers are accepted as long as they are constructed of water-repellent, padded nylon with mesh ventilation on two or more sides.
All animals must be a minimum eight (8) weeks old for dogs and cats.
No carry-on pets to/from Hawaii or Transatlantic/Transpacific or Central and South America.
The maximum number of carry-on kennels on American Airlines flights within the United States and Canada is seven total: two (2) in first class and five (5) in coach and/or business class. However, seeing eye/hearing service assist animals and search dogs are not counted in the maximum number allowed in the cabin.
On American Eagle and AmericanConnection®, one pet in the cabin is allowed.
Pet may not be removed from their kennel/container at any time while on-board the aircraft.
American assumes no liability for the health or well-being of carry-on pets.
Please call Reservations at 800-433-7300 to check for availability and then make a reservation for the pet.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I think that it is ridiculous that you have to pay to transport your pet and then that pet counts as your carryon bag. You'd think that the fare for the pet would make them completely separate from your carryon.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yeah, the $80 each way fee is a pet peeve of mine, too. It's really just the airlines way to add revenue. We get absolutely nothing for that fee, the airline does nothing different with the dog carrier under the seat than a duffle full of Mexican food under the seat. (that's my carry-on for my daughter when I don't bring Pico)

It's just another way people take advantage of our love of animals....they know they have us over a barrel so they charge a not-too-outrageous fee for doing nothing.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Hey guys,

We just flew Delta, and they cut us a deal because we brought Chanel and Gucci, instead of $80 each way, it was only $100 for the 2 of them..

weird I thought.. but whatever it's cheaper.

Chanel is Flying to New York this weekend with her Mother for a big Trade Show. Gucci is going to stay here in Dallas to help me run the store.

When I talked to American Airlines about her flight they said they are now allowing up to 5 pets in Coach. and 2 more in First Class for a total of 7 on any given flight.

I would say taking your pets with you is definately becoming the new trend, and anything to make the airlines a few extra bucks they are all for these days.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by GlamourDog@Jan 26 2005, 01:25 AM
Hey guys,

We just flew Delta, and they cut us a deal because we brought Chanel and Gucci, instead of $80 each way, it was only $100 for the 2 of them..

weird I thought.. but whatever it's cheaper.

Chanel is Flying to New York this weekend with her Mother for a big Trade Show.  Gucci is going to stay here in Dallas to help me run the store. 

When I talked to American Airlines about her flight they said they are now allowing up to 5 pets in Coach.  and 2 more in First Class for a total of 7 on any given flight.

I would say taking your pets with you is definately becoming the new trend, and anything to make the airlines a few extra bucks they are all for these days.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31551
[/QUOTE]

Hi, I guess your wife is going to the Gift show in NY? I just got back from the Atlanta Gift show. One of our vendors was shopping with us for a while and she used to go to NY but she said Atlanta was actually a better show... Just an FYI... since you're in Texas and Atlanta is probably a shorter trip...

Anyway, will they allow Chanel to attend the show with your wife? Just curious. I wanted to take Catcher to Atlanta with me but figured he'd be in the room all day. How does it work out it if he can't go to the show ???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts