Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're looking to get a new credit card as the one we are using...the rewards will be used soon and we don't anticipate buying another vehicle for a long time so we'd like to go to a card we'd have more benefit from. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have the Citi Elite Rewards. I don't know if I'd get it again. The up side was that when I got it, if you spent $300 within the first 3 months (or something like that) they gave you 20,000 bonus points. Combined with some of my other purchases, that was enough to pay for my round trip flight from NJ to Miami to go on a cruise we had planned. They have deals for double/triple/etc. points for their preferred vendors (which change every couple of days/weeks), but there's a $75 annual fee which is annoying. Also, you can choose pretty much anything as your 'reward'. I do travel, but I know you can choose cash vouchers, or shop at their online store that has everything, donate to charity, etc.

I just recently got the Delta AMEX Gold Rewards Card because I fly Delta a lot so the points add up. I got the card in early Feb and with the bonus points and flight points so far I have 50,000 points. I'm saving them up to use for my flight to France in the Fall. No membership fee for the first year, $95 after that, and I just love how quickly the points add up from flights. But, being that it's AMEX, not everywhere accepts it, so sometimes I have to use my MC anyway.

If there's an airline you normally use, I would probably check into their specific airline card because the benefits are usually really good, especially if you're planning on using it for travel anyway. I think the more generic rewards cards are a little stingy with the points because they aren't getting the money back from them, whereas the airlines are.

Check these out:

Airline Credit Cards & Frequent Flyer Miles - CreditCards.com

Frequent Flyer Credit Cards - Best Airline Credit Card Offers - CreditCardGuide.com

·
Super Moderator
10,248 Posts
I use a United miles card, Citi Shell gas that gives me rebates, and AmEx that gives Hilton Honors points. I usually get two free flights and one hotel per year and about $5 - $10 back per month on the gas card.

Pick something that you'll se a lot so that you don't have to wait forever for the rewards.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
we don't travel a lot and when we do we take different airlines depending on where we are flying from/to so we got a Capital One card. We put everything on it and we simply pay the bill at the end of the month. We have double points on gas and groceries (I wish it included restaurants since we seem to eat out more than make at home). It seems like it takes a long time for the points to add up though so I'm not sure if its the best card out there.

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
The best bang for our bucks has seemed to be our AmEx cards. Very often for vacations that's the card that has the most points and flexibility to get flights and no black out dates with many airlines. We linked our business and personal cards so it adds up and they've been very helpful with transfer of points. That's how DH is coming along to Paris with me (if they ever open the airport). I got a Cap One card for Europe last year. All the other cards except one bank card, add hidden charges to overseas purchases. It's a certain percentage and you don't even know they do it, but Cap One doesn't. We also got a bank ATM card which repays any use of an ATM not in their network. This all worked really well for our trip to Italy last year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts