Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this is the right sight for this post..but I am getting ready to fly for the first time with my malt in a few months and would like to know if anyone has some tips. :ThankYou:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I've not flown with Poppy, but here's what I'd do:

1. Check with the airlines to find out the cost, the exact size his carrier has to be, and any other rules the airline might have.

2. Check my destination to see if there are any laws about vaccinations that would prevent my baby from being able to enter.

3. Get with my vet to find out what medicine would be best to help my baby stay calm and/or sleep for the flight.

4. Make sure I am staying somewhere that dogs are allowed, and if so, what their rules might be.

Hope this helps.

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
847 Posts
Leila has been on a total of 6 flights, ranging in length from 1-4.5 hours. I flew Delta every time, so I know the way it works with them.

A few things I would do:

1. Call the airline to make a reservation. I know Delta only allows 4 pets in coach and 2 in business/first, so you need to make sure you are in that number before it fills up.

2. Make sure you have a carrier that can fit underneath the front of the seat (I'm assuming you'll be carrying your fluff on..?). I would recommend getting one that is soft-sided because you have more leeway with the size. I was told directly by the airline that many hard sided carriers that say they are 'airline approved' actually do NOT fit under the seat and are NOT allowed. They will turn you away if it wont fit under the seat. If you really want a hard carrier, call the airline and ask about their dimensions, as they are not always the same.

3. I didn't ever give Leila anything. I just made sure I tired her out alot (running around, walks) before taking her on, so she slept the whole time. If you do want to medicate, ask your vet. I know with my 10 pound cats, I was told I could give them 1/3 of a dramamine (not an easy task), so I can't imagine any realistic portion of human meds is going to be safe for a tiny Malt. you'll want something geared specifically toward their size.

4. Don't forget to bring and empty little dish or something to give water during the flight or between flights during layovers. I forgot this the first time and had to make one out of a plastic cup that I cut and made shallow. Also, pack a pee pad (if he/she is trained on one). During layovers, I always found a spot and set up her pee pad to use so she wouldn't soil her carrier. Some airports even have a little dog park area outside (like in Atlanta).

5. Make sure when you actually go to the airport, you leave yourself some extra time to check in. Since they need to physically SEE the animal, you cannot do online or self check-in. You cannot even go to the normal desk. In Delta they called it "Special Services". You don't want to be crunched for time because you didn't factor in time to wait in that line.

All in all, I found traveling with Leila was really manageable. I was glad I didn't have to worry about her and who was caring for her at home, and the flight went by quickly with her by my side. She also kept me very entertained during lay-overs. Sometimes, you can even get away with taking them out and having them on your lap during the flight (depending on your flight attendant).

Where are you flying? When?

Hope this helped :)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The nationals will be Moxie's first flight. He's fine on a train, subway..I'm hoping the plane will be no problem.

The long walk makes a lot of sense, I'll have to remember that.:)

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Some airlines limit the number of carry on bags to two so I couldn't
decide who'd go and who'd stay..... If you can bring up to 4 dogs on coach,are they considered carry on? Do they charge extra for doggies in carry on? I'd gladly pay it. I was going to rent my own plane and fly down again,but the rates have more than doubled since I did that last. I still takes me 4-5 hours to fly a private plane down where in a jet,I can be there in as little as 2 hours.

That would be so great to bring a few of my babies w/ me to Florida for a June graduation... I feel bad not wanting to take our cocker but no way she'd fit in a small carryon,under the seat.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Some airlines limit the number of carry on bags to two so I couldn't
decide who'd go and who'd stay..... If you can bring up to 4 dogs on coach,are they considered carry on? Do they charge extra for doggies in carry on? I'd gladly pay it. I was going to rent my own plane and fly down again,but the rates have more than doubled since I did that last. I still takes me 4-5 hours to fly a private plane down where in a jet,I can be there in as little as 2 hours.

That would be so great to bring a few of my babies w/ me to Florida for a June graduation... I feel bad not wanting to take our cocker but no way she'd fit in a small carryon,under the seat.
Carry on bags are limited to two, so the carrier counts as one. I'm not sure the size of your malts, but they say that if two can fit comfortably in a carrier, you can have up to 2 in there with Delta. I believe the weight limit is 15 or 20 pounds (don't quote me, though). If someone is flying with you, maybe each of you could carry on one? I know the price varies, but Delta charges $100 each way to carry on (this is per carrier, not per pet). I know it's actually more to check the dog to fly cargo, which I always thought was bizarre.

If you go to the airline website, you can almost always find a page on pet policies for carry-on. Here are some I happened to have bookmarked from when I was deciding on an airline:

Delta:
Pet Travel Options

American Airlines:
Traveling With Pets | American Airlines Pet Policy On AA.com

United:
United Airlines - Traveling with Pets, Airline Guidelines & Breed Restrictions

Southwest:
Southwest Airlines Travel Policies - Animals and Pets

By the way, to the OP, I forgot to mention that depending on your airline, they may require things like a health certificate/vaccination history. Also, if you're looking for a carrier, I saw at Petco that they have airline specific carriers (I saw one for AA and one for Delta). They aren't pretty, but at least they give you peace of mind that you wont run into any problems with the carrier, since they're airline-endorsed.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I have flown with one of my pups before and she did fine. I would take the advice of the others and be sure that you give yourself lots of time. I brought a bully stick for Bailey to chew since they last a really long time and it kept her occupied during the flight. The next time that I fly with the pups (now I have 2) to get them used to their carrier I will put them in it in the car and take them for a ride a few times. Bailey wasn't used to being closed up in her airline carrier and she barked when we boarded and I put her under the seat. Once she had her bully stick she was fine but I would still rather her be more comfortable in her carrier.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
I called Delta airlines,they allow 4 dogs,but a max of 2 per person,if 2 dogs can fit in one carrier and are compatible(no fighting). Max weight total is 20 pounds for 2 dogs,15 for one. Carrier,soft side,18x12x12 works the best and extra pocket will come in handy. It is your only allowed carryon,besides a small laptop bag or purse. They charge a extra pet baggage fee of $125 per pet,each way,so one pet will be $250 both ways.
I'm thinking,take my smallest malt,and my mini lap top in the pet carrier and a soft sides bowl for food and water and buy a huge purse....for all my crap....and check the rest in baggage.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I called Delta airlines,they allow 4 dogs,but a max of 2 per person,if 2 dogs can fit in one carrier and are compatible(no fighting). Max weight total is 20 pounds for 2 dogs,15 for one. Carrier,soft side,18x12x12 works the best and extra pocket will come in handy. It is your only allowed carryon,besides a small laptop bag or purse. They charge a extra pet baggage fee of $125 per pet,each way,so one pet will be $250 both ways.
I'm thinking,take my smallest malt,and my mini lap top in the pet carrier and a soft sides bowl for food and water and buy a huge purse....for all my crap....and check the rest in baggage.
Hope that helps.
Just a note: I know it says on their website (and on the phone) that it's $125 each way, but they have ALWAYS charged me only $100 each way. Not sure why that is.
Also, I brought Leila and my rolling carry-on luggage and it was never a problem. I was told that Leila would count as my 'personal item' (ie. purse), so I put everything else in my big carry-on. I try not to check bags because of the cost.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Wow I'll ask that at the reservations desk. The lady at Delta told me the pet carry on was my carry on luggage. She told me it would be $125 for each dog,each way so if I took 2 dogs it was $500 2 dogs both ways. I'll try again in the morning and ask if I can count my pet as my personal item.
The Delta website says if I take 2 dogs in one carrier,it's counted as one dog,so I will quote that from the site if I have to. Delta had the largest carrier size allowances of all the airlines. I hope I can take a rollon,that would be great. I could strap the pet carrier to it until we boarded.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Talked to Delta,they told me wrong about charging for 2 dogs in one carrier. Now I have to check w/ the airport to see what they would consider a personal item,if I can count my pet as my personal item. I hope so,that way I don't have to check luggage and hope they don't loose it!

Oh and check on tsa.gove to find out what yu can and cannot take on teh fligth. I was told you can take tweezers and cuticle sciccors now. Good to know so I don't have to pack it in my checked luggage and worry they'll be lost. Hey Tweezerman Tweezers are a neccessity for us older gals w/ those stubborn granny hairs. good tweezers are hard to find...:HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
847 Posts
Talked to Delta,they told me wrong about charging for 2 dogs in one carrier. Now I have to check w/ the airport to see what they would consider a personal item,if I can count my pet as my personal item. I hope so,that way I don't have to check luggage and hope they don't loose it!

Oh and check on tsa.gove to find out what yu can and cannot take on teh fligth. I was told you can take tweezers and cuticle sciccors now. Good to know so I don't have to pack it in my checked luggage and worry they'll be lost. Hey Tweezerman Tweezers are a neccessity for us older gals w/ those stubborn granny hairs. good tweezers are hard to find...:HistericalSmiley:
tweezerman tweezers were one of my best ever investments. i don't know how many $5-$10 pairs of tweezers I bought only to have them become misaligned and have to get another a month later. Yayyy Tweezerman!

on the subject of checking vs. carrying on, I was really worried they'd make a big deal about my elastic scissors and madan comb (with the big metal rat tail). i would think those would be more dangerous than some of the other things they ban, but they never said anything. a few little peach cups i had packed as a snack, however....another story. :)

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
tweezerman tweezers were one of my best ever investments. i don't know how many $5-$10 pairs of tweezers I bought only to have them become misaligned and have to get another a month later. Yayyy Tweezerman!

on the subject of checking vs. carrying on, I was really worried they'd make a big deal about my elastic scissors and madan comb (with the big metal rat tail). i would think those would be more dangerous than some of the other things they ban, but they never said anything. a few little peach cups i had packed as a snack, however....another story. :)
Crazy isn't it what you can and can't take w/ you. You can take a screw driver in your carry on,small scissors and tweezers but not fruit cups...I can see bananas,you might use a peel to elude an airmarshall... holy shades of the 3 stooges....:HistericalSmiley: Little peach snack cups,sounds like too many Mc Guyver episodes....:blink:
Well atleast they let you take certain pets.
Yep,like cheap hotels,cheap tweezers are a waste of money,better off going w/ the best you can afford... Especially if you have atomic cyborg mutant chin hairs like mine,I practically need a blow torch,kinda like what they use to burn off elephant chin beards....they really do that. Now there's a visual for you....and now you know why I don't have piccies of myself...

·
Registered
847 Posts
Crazy isn't it what you can and can't take w/ you. You can take a screw driver in your carry on,small scissors and tweezers but not fruit cups...I can see bananas,you might use a peel to elude an airmarshall... holy shades of the 3 stooges....:HistericalSmiley: Little peach snack cups,sounds like too many Mc Guyver episodes....:blink:
Well atleast they let you take certain pets.
Yep,like cheap hotels,cheap tweezers are a waste of money,better off going w/ the best you can afford... Especially if you have atomic cyborg mutant chin hairs like mine,I practically need a blow torch,kinda like what they use to burn off elephant chin beards....they really do that. Now there's a visual for you....and now you know why I don't have piccies of myself...
this whole post made me :rofl: . awesome start to the day!

as for the elephant chin beards...now i need to go do some research! LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.