Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.
My husband and I are going to Alaska for the Holidays( he is from there) and we will be bringing our maltese for her 1st longest trip in her 5month old life.

What do you do to keep your puppy/dog occupied on trips.

Does anyone use a natural tranquilizer?

How do you time their potty schedule etc.

TIA

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Never even thought of using a tranquilizer, Caesar absolutely loves going on car rides. My in laws live 6 hours away, so I think that is his furthest trip. Caesar usually sleeps the whole time. If it will be 12 hours I would maybe throw in some of her toys for her. As far as stopping...I would just stop everyonce in awhile at reststops to see if she needs to go, plus would give her (and u guys) a chance to stretch ur legs. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I would not use tranquilizers, either. The ride will be enough of a tranquilizer. I would pack his food, some water, and a few toys. I think he will enjoy being near you for 12 hours, and will probably sleep for half of it.

I noticed when I took Max out shopping with me, we were in the car and he got a little hyper around the car sniffing around...and it turned out he had to poop. He did so right on the seat of the car. So you might want to cover your seats just in case. You will notice when they seem uncomfortable that they have to go. Hopefully, he won't mind going in strange places? Some dogs get to nervous to go in areas unfamiliar to them??? But, once he has to go, he will go.

Let us know how it goes. Enjoy your trip, sounds like fun.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
We've never taken the boys on a trip that long, but on a plane Peanut just sleeps and chews on his fav nylabone and basically hangs out. I'm assuming she's flying in cabin with you, I would put in a little blanket or even a shirt or yours (that you wouldn't mind possibly getting yucky) that way she'll be able to cuddle with it and it will have your scent on it. A couple of quiet toys and I bring some of his fav treats and give him one everyonce in a while. I know Peanut would try his hardest to keep from peeing, but 12 hours is a really long time...I don't have any advice on that part. Depending on the flight attendants, some can be very strict and won't let you take her out of the bag at all, but most likely on such a long ride you may be able to take her out of the bag and hold her. I would definately bring something she loves that she would chew or play with for long periods. I can't think of anything else right now. Good luck and have a fun and safe trip!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
We brought Jolie to Calgary when she was 5 months, it's a 16 hour drive. She was great, no sickness and all she wanted to do is sleep. I think it made "car rides" for her cause now as soon as we start driving she curles up on my lap and falls asleep (she is turning 1 year in 4 days!!).

·
Registered
802 Posts
OHHH, you are FLYING, big difference. Does it really take 12 hours to Alaska from Florida?? It takes almost that long to go to Hawaii.

Well, make sure they let you take him in the cabin with you. I wouldn't want my malti with the cargo. Heard too many bad things on the news.

Well, if he has to be in a carrier, a mild sedative might work. I know if Max had to be in a carrier the whole time he would give everyone on the plane an ear ache. I probably would have to hang out in the bathroom with him where he could come out and play.

I would feed him as little as possible. He may throw up, not sure. I bought my lhasa in Florida. We flew back to NY and she was fine. Exited to get out but fine.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think the longest I flew with Miko is 7 hrs so I can't really help with any advice. He has always done great on the plane and I know Miko can hold his pee in for wayyyy longer than 12 hrs. If your pup is young, that is probably a major concern. I would bring pee pee pads and let him pee in bathroom or maybe have him/her wear diapers?? With airport time and 12 hrs flying time, that is a long time for them to hold it in!!

PS. For all those people that think they have been on long car rides -- I can beat that!! We drove from Nashville to Los ANgeles a year and a half ago, I think it took at least 4-5 days and Miko did great!! He loves to sleep in the car!!

·
Registered
802 Posts
I just read another Malti owner uses Benadryl to calm them for flight.

Your baby will sleep and have clear sinuses.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I just read another Malti owner uses Benadryl to calm them for flight.

Your baby will sleep and have clear sinuses.
[/B]
We tried the children's benadryl for a flight before. Your vet can give you the right dose for her weight. Be careful because it can have the opposite effect on some dogs. It made one of mine drowsy and the other was bouncing off the walls. My vet recommended to try out the benedryl a few days before your trip to be sure it will work

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
What about not giving him any sort of tranquilizer and then see how he does without it. You could take it with you and if you feel he needs it then you could give it to him. That is a really long flight. I hope there will be a chance to take him out of the crate, etc. Is the flight straight through or do you change planes?

·
Registered
802 Posts
I would deffinitely want him in the cabin with me. I would take him out quietly put him on my lap and throw and airplane blankey over him so that no one can complain. Then you keep your blankey over your shoulders in the front and you can hold him by your belly and keep him calm.

If he gets frisky from sitting too long...take him to the lavoratory and sit on the bowl, put a wee wee pad on the dirty floor and let him run around a while.
Not a big space, but he can't be cramped up for 12 hours.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
If you are considering a little benadryl you should try it in advance. Call your vet for the correct amount and try beforehand. It makes my bichon hyper! My vet warned me that it would either sedate her or make her hyper. It would probably really help if your pup uses the wee pads. If now, do you think you could start trying them out? I haven't flown with my maltese, but I fly pretty often and I don't know where you would walk a dog. Surely a 5 month old wouldn't be able to hold it that long......The wee pads would be the best.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Not that any of us would want the pup to ride in cargo for 12 hours...but, in case you do send him in cargo for the ride....most warn NOT to sedate because the air pressure is different and many dogs have suffocated when sedated because they can't adjust their breathing while sedated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts