Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...with fall here and winter approaching, I had a nutty idea to get a treadmill for the pups. Do any of your puppies know how to trot along on a treadmill? I USED TO watch Cesar Milan, and one time I took Casanova down to the gym and put him on the treadmill. What happened next nearly gave me a heart attack. He just stayed still and went backward until he almost fell off backwards. So I quickly picked him up before he could fall and banged my head on the bar in the process. :blink: So needless to say, it was not a success, and I haven't tried the treadmill since. Do any of your pups know how to work the treadmill? I thought it was instinctive to walk forward to avoid going back, but apparently not?? Can pups be trained to do it?

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Sophia, back away from the treadmill. I think toys and just a game of toss in the hallway might work better.
Just sayin'.... :LOL:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Bisou gladly volunteers to come to your gym (only your building's gym though..that's part of the deal) to show Casanova and Bijou how to do it. By the way, I'm her trainer, so I'm part of the package!! LOL!!!

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Bisou gladly volunteers to come to your gym (only your building's gym though..that's part of the deal) to show Casanova and Bijou how to do it. By the way, I'm her trainer, so I'm part of the package!! LOL!!!
Haha....vraiment? Does Bisou know how to do it? Woooah!!! That's impressive!!

Or are you just saying that because Bisou wants to meet Keanu?! :innocent:

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I used to use the treadmill with my Sophie, (small bichon) she used to enjoy it. She would go on with me and we would walk together. I tied her leash to the front. It really helped her to get her exercise even in bad weather. I trained her by holding treats out in front of it while she was on the leash and she would walk forward for the treat. Just start really slowly to give a good experience, because if they get scared it could be a long while before they will try again.

I would like to try Lola on one again, she was really afraid of it when she was little. Now our gym here doesn't allow dogs :(

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to use the treadmill with my Sophie, (small bichon) she used to enjoy it. She would go on with me and we would walk together. I tied her leash to the front. It really helped her to get her exercise even in bad weather. I trained her by holding treats out in front of it while she was on the leash and she would walk forward for the treat. Just start really slowly to give a good experience, because if they get scared it could be a long while before they will try again.

I would like to try Lola on one again, she was really afraid of it when she was little. Now our gym here doesn't allow dogs :(
Ooooh, good to know!! That sounds like a great idea holding the treat in front. How many minutes would Sophie be willing to exercise each time?

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Ooooh, good to know!! That sounds like a great idea holding the treat in front. How many minutes would Sophie be willing to exercise each time?
She did a full 20 mins with me :) right up until she was 13 years old, she then seemed more tired and only did about half of that. I actually found that walking on there with her was the best though. It is like a regular routine, leash on then go for a walk with Mummy.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I wanted to do this with Louis but my building doesnt allow dogs in the gym. I think if you could train them to do it together I think it would be the cutest thing. I do wish Louis would go out more often for walks here in DC but its always too hot or too cold. Fall and spring are really too short here. If you figure out how to teach them please share!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts

Bien sur que oui!!

When Bisou spots him in your gym, her athletic treadmill abilities will astound not only Casanova and Bijou (and you!) but also Keanu himself!!

He'll fall over himself asking her trainer (that would be me), just how in the world did Bisou accomplish such skills. He'll probably want to hire me as his own personal trainer, pas doute!!

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
I've never done it with the Malts, but I did it all the time with the Lhasas that were being shown. We lived in Arizona then and it was too HOT to go outside to exercise. I actually had 2 treadmills set up right next to each other. Mine and the one for the fluffs. I would walk and the fluf would walk beside me. It was wonderful for both of us. :)

·
Registered
5,433 Posts

Is Keanu in your gym or something :unsure:? My son and daughter (with baby) met him in Toronto a few months back, they chatted for a while and my daughter asked if he minded if she took a photo. He said he would rather she didn't :( so she didn't.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
I'm glad you all brought this up! Yesterday afternoon, DH and I went treadmill shopping. The rates are getting higher and higher at the health club so we are planning to buy one for Christmas. I started thinking how exciting it would be to get the girls on the treadmill with me. I'm not sure I could get Rose to do it, but I think my Lily would. The girls and I could use the exercise and I only like to be outdoors when the weather is nice. Maybe JMM can give us some pointers on the best way to train them. :blush: I think it may take a lot of treats.:HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
They make treadmills for dogs, I have seen them. They have small walls so they don't fall off. I'm not sure if they were meant for our smallest dogs but do a google check. I would think they have to be trained a little beforehand.....I can just see Sophia now, "Come on babies, time for your daily exercise!" I think it would be a good thing.....I have thought about it too!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
We have a gym in our home and while B&E are my workout partners (they sit and watch me do the "burn") they are not big fans of the treadmill. Benny has gotten on it before, sat down and like a box of cereal on a grocery belt at the supermarket he flew to the back LOL!!!! Emma will lay on it and watch me lift weights but it has to be turned off. They are not into cardio sessions LOL.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Personally I don't like mechanical moving parts and dogs. Just my thing but I would be too afraid that Tyler would get injured and then we'd be way further back. I try to run him around a lot inside if we're not outside and he does his own turbo dog (zoomies) routine so I think for a little guy he gets enough exercise. We walked him for about a mile and a half around our neighborhood the other day and he was done for the night. Exhausted. :HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
i've seen the treadmills for dogs (and they do make small enough ones for maltese) BUT i just can't see spending $1000 on a treadmill. It'd be nice to keep malts in show condition but then I'd worry about the coat, etc while they were on it. I think it could be dangerous for dogs in full coat on 'human' treadmills too, I'd be scared to death!

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, thanks for all the info! I didn't even know there were treadmills for our little fluffs. I just googled it....do you guys think this looks safe? I'm thinking about getting it...Obviously I think I would only let the fluffs use it under strict supervision...

Petzen Products : Small Dog Treadmill

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bien sur que oui!!

When Bisou spots him in your gym, her athletic treadmill abilities will astound not only Casanova and Bijou (and you!) but also Keanu himself!!

He'll fall over himself asking her trainer (that would be me), just how in the world did Bisou accomplish such skills. He'll probably want to hire me as his own personal trainer, pas doute!!
:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

You are so funny, Andrea!! I'm glad that you are so personally invested in Bijou and Casanova's fitness plan!!

Is Keanu in your gym or something :unsure:? My son and daughter (with baby) met him in Toronto a few months back, they chatted for a while and my daughter asked if he minded if she took a photo. He said he would rather she didn't :( so she didn't.
Yes, sorry to be cryptic. Keanu just moved into my building, and Andrea and I have been planning a bump in. Which usually happens at the gym, but I don't like to goto the gym...From your description, he doesn't sound that fun to bump into, though...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts