Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how many treats do you give your little one each day? I have a 12 week old, and because I'm training him, I've been goving him a few treats everyday. I only give him the 100% natural ones, like beef and buffalo liver. I'm just not sure if too many treats a day is bad for him.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ha ha ha... that's too funny.... they're so smart these little guys. I love it. I've been doing the same thing... for bathroom breaks, but also for "staying" he has the sit part down pat, but stay part is a little harder, because he gets so excited about the treat. I just worry about giving him too many. He's so little, it seems so easy to give him too much. But at the same time, he's so darn cure, I just want to give him one for everything.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been doing that, so I guess I'm fine.... Thanks. I guess I'm just a little paranoid, being a first time mom.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Izzy mostly gets her dry kibble as a treat. She seems to enjoy it as much as anything so for at least one of her meals a day she gets a dry piece of kibble (Chicken Soup for the Puppy). She has a dish full that she has access to 24/7 but for some reason, coming from my hand with a compliment makes it a 'treat' for her. During training sessons, she will go through an entire meal of kibble thinking it's a treat reward.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Way back when I was smitten with a cute puppy and OH-so-ambitious...I tried clicker training with the buttercup. Since she tends to eat her treats s-l-o-w as she can...I started using Cheerios (and now, her new faves are Gerber Finger Foods Veggie Puffs) because they were easy to chomp and swallow. When she was about the age of your little Cutie-Patootie, I gave her bigger treats that I broke up. The Cheerios ended up being a better idea when she was teething and couldnt chomp-chomp-chomp her food as easy. Until I lost my tolerance for endless licky-licky on my hands, I would have a finger of peanut butter and The Buttercup would get rewarded in the form of a lick off the Peanut Butter Tree, lol. But my Gross Out Factor has significantly been raised, and I cant take that anymore. LOLOL

Happy Training!
Ann Marie and The "Cheerios? Who said Cheerios??" Buttercup

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
try natural balance lamb rounds...those are super healthy, and they're hard treats. so thats a good thing and you can break them up to very small pieces.

and for a twelve week old....you could probably give like half a lamb round per day...but ask a vet.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Treats....Puddles gets to many.......but I do break them into smaller bits.

6:30 am -- potty = treat
7:30 am -- I leave for work = 2 treats (my guilty feeling)
3:30 pm -- potty = treat (hubby home)
5:00 pm -- treat (i'm home were happy)
7:00 pm -- potty = treat
9:00 pm -- training time = treat (several if he did a good job)
10:00 pm --potty = 2 treats (bed time)

Plus he had dry food when ever hes hungry.

My lord and I was wondering why he's 9 lbs. The little bugger is spoiled !!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by DMZ dogs@Mar 19 2005, 11:48 PM
Mine get them per correct bathroom performance.  Sometimes Noodle will hold some pee back and go pee again 10 minutes after the treat just to get another.  They are sneaky little things!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44567
[/QUOTE]

Ha!!! Peanut 'fake' pee's to get another treat. He goes to the pad, sniffs around and squats for a second, but no pee...then he comes running to me for a treat! The little twerp!! I love it soooo much that he thinks that he can fool me

For the treats, I cut or break the treats into teeny tiny pieces if we are going to be doing training. I also mix in some kibble pieces, that way we can stretch the treats during the training session.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sisse would say "so many treats, so little time"......we be sure we count her "treats" as part of her food for the day.....100% natural ones of course, cheerio's are fun for her (broken in 1/2), I think she likes the crunch. She also loves the Waggin' Train dried chicken breast jerky strips and the newest favorite (also from Wal-Mart) is the 3-Lucky Dog, "Licken and Crunch" carob cookies. They look and smell just like Oreo cookies, the outside is carob and the "filling" is peanut butter flavored. She'll pee a dozen times in a row for these!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use the Natural Balance rolls and cut them up pea size. Nibbles loves them and it's considered dog food, not a treat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts