Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok to be fair I was 7 minutes late (grrr work kept me way late) so I did not push her with questions but we covered alot in a short time. I didnt realize I was leaving confused until I got home.

First, my breeder says she doesnt recommend sentinol, revolution or program for heartworm, but heartgaurd or interceptor are ok. vet said she doesnt know why, and before i knew it she was putting this tube of goo (revolution) down my baby's neck. Does anyone know the problems associated with those first 3 that maybe my vet is just not aware of?

I probably will not be going to her permanently, but will try the other vets in the practice just to get to know them all anyway. other than that it was a positive experience.

Second, my breeder had the worming done and the vet said she needs to know exactly what they wormed for but I did not have a sample for her to test. She said I could drop one off so I thought I'd do that, but she sent me home with a 3 day worm treatment and said to bring her a sample in 3 weeks. what gives? I didnt see anything like that due on my puppy info sheet and I dont remember doing that with Holli, ever.

She also does not give lepto to maltese do I didnt have to deal with that. She gave her the rest of that shot though, and the revolution, AND she wanted me to start that worming stuff today. I think that is just way too much so I am going to wait a couple of days to do the worming thing. If I do it. I'm going to do some research first.

It is so nice to have this place. ok someone smells like they need off my lap about now
thanks all!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Mar 9 2005, 10:16 PM
First, my breeder says she doesnt recommend sentinol, revolution or program for heartworm, but heartgaurd or interceptor are ok.   vet said she doesnt know why, and before i knew it she was putting this tube of goo (revolution) down my baby's neck.  Does anyone know the problems associated with those first 3 that maybe my vet is just not aware of? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41632
[/QUOTE]

My breeder likes Revolution but my vet does not recommend it. I can't remember exactly the reason but basically he said that before he starts using something he likes to wait until something like a million pets have been given it to make sure it is safe. I'm not sure that a million is the number but it was a big one. He has my two on Sentinel pills. My vet is pretty picky and I would be surprised if there is something wrong with Sentinel.... if so, I'd sure appreciate knowing about it....if anyone has any info....

EDIT: I found this chart... now I can see why my vet recommends Sentinel:
Heartworm Medicine Comparison and Contrast

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
we wormed with every puppy visit, but we didnt send home a three days supply
it usually works the first time unless she was using panacur (a wormer that also takes care of whip worms)...what color is the wormer? also i dont understand why she put the revolution on w/o asking. that seems strange to me. when revolution first came out, we were using it on all our pup visits..then we started noticing more internal parasites and fleas. i guess for an inside dog, that is hardly outside it is fine, but there are far superior products IMHO. thats good u didnt have to worry about the lepto though

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Mar 9 2005, 10:21 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Holliberry
@Mar 9 2005, 10:16 PM

First, my breeder says she doesnt recommend sentinol, revolution or program for heartworm, but heartgaurd or interceptor are ok.   vet said she doesnt know why, and before i knew it she was putting this tube of goo (revolution) down my baby's neck.  Does anyone know the problems associated with those first 3 that maybe my vet is just not aware of? 

My breeder likes Revolution but my vet does not recommend it. I can't remember exactly the reason but basically he said that before he starts using something he likes to wait until something like a million pets have been given it to make sure it is safe. I'm not sure that a million is the number but it was a big one. He has my two on Sentinel pills. My vet is pretty picky and I would be surprised if there is something wrong with Sentinel.... if so, I'd sure appreciate knowing about it....if anyone has any info....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41633
[/B][/QUOTE]

nothing wrong with sentinel...its great for heartworms and parasites...not the best for fleas. it only sterilizes the flea, does not kill them. so fleas are free to bite your pet until eaten, or their death. its not good for flea probs in the yard. but works for people not in bad flea areas.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Why didn't they just check the stool for worms? I brought Sadie home at 14 weeks and the vet never gave her anything for worms, but I brought a stool sample at every visit (while she was getting shots).

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava+Mar 9 2005, 10:24 PM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 9 2005, 10:21 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Holliberry
@Mar 9 2005, 10:16 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41633

Thanks for the info..... !!

[/QUOTE]

nothing wrong with sentinel...its great for heartworms and parasites...not the best for fleas. it only sterilizes the flea, does not kill them. so fleas are free to bite your pet until eaten, or their death. its not good for flea probs in the yard. but works for people not in bad flea areas.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41637
[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Mar 9 2005, 10:22 PM
unless she was using panacur (a wormer that also takes care of whip worms)...what color is the wormer?  also i dont understand why she put the revolution on w/o asking.  <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41634
[/QUOTE]

yes this says "panacur". I was just surprised because at first she said she wanted a stool sample to test, but without that she sent me home with the wormer anyway.

I guess she put the revolution on because I told her I could not get Phoebe to eat the heartguard block. I had it in 20 pieces and it was like she was gumming it and it kept falling out of her mouth. I said forget that, so she hadn't had anything. I have a brand new box minus one wasted
She also did say they dont use interceptor here, but she didnt say it like it was a bad thing, just they didnt have it.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
sentinel and interceptor are the same heart worm prevention...they are made by the same company. sentinel is just interceptor and program combined that is what makes the two different. interceptor i think is better for internal parasites b/c it takes care of whipworms, heartgaurd does not. but both work great for heartworms, and if u dont have a whipworm product, u can choose whichever u like.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Mar 9 2005, 10:26 PM
Why didn't they just check the stool for worms?  I brought Sadie home at 14 weeks and the vet never gave her anything for worms, but I brought a stool sample at every visit (while she was getting shots).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41639
[/QUOTE]

Thats what I thought. Since I didnt have a sample with me (they didnt tell me to bring one and it never crossed my mind), I told her I would bring one today. Then she gave me this and said just bring her one in 3 weeks. I guess she figures it wont hurt.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry+Mar 9 2005, 10:32 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadyMontava
@Mar 9 2005, 10:22 PM
unless she was using panacur (a wormer that also takes care of whip worms)...what color is the wormer?  also i dont understand why she put the revolution on w/o asking.  <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41634
yes this says "panacur". I was just surprised because at first she said she wanted a stool sample to test, but without that she sent me home with the wormer anyway.

I guess she put the revolution on because I told her I could not get Phoebe to eat the heartguard block. I had it in 20 pieces and it was like she was gumming it and it kept falling out of her mouth. I said forget that, so she hadn't had anything. I have a brand new box minus one wasted
She also did say they dont use interceptor here, but she didnt say it like it was a bad thing, just they didnt have it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41642
[/B][/QUOTE]
maybe she didnt want to prob the tiny baby. it isnt fun to go after a sample, esp in the tiny ones. but i dont understand her worming her. i would recommend bringing her a sample and hold off on the wormer...did she have any diarrher? blood in her stool?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Wonder why your vet didn't just "get" a stool sample from her... they just use a teeny instrument no larger than a rectal thermometer and they get a sample that way.

You've gotta see the chart about heartworm meds that I posted a couple threads ago.....

Here is the chart info from the site. http://www.nbc5i.com/family/3345322/detail.html

Canine Heartworm Medication Adverse Reaction Comparisons
(Source, FDA, As of 5/03/2004)

ProHeart 6(Moxidectin):
Total Adverse Reactions - 4499
Total Deaths - 415
Year Approved - 2001
Av. Reactions - 1500
Avg. Deaths - 138
Form - Injection

Revolution(Selamectin):
Total Adverse Reactions- 8695
Total Deaths- 181
Year Approved - 1999
Avg. Reactions - 1737
Avg. Deaths - 36
Form - Topical

Interceptor(Milbemycine oxime):
Total Adverse Reactions - 1922
Total Deaths - 84
Year Approved - 1995
Avg. Reactions - 214
Avg. Deaths - 9
Form - Oral

Heartguard(Ivermectin/Pyrantel):
Total Adverse Reactions - 2840
Total Deaths - 51
Year Approved - 1996
Avg. Reactions - 355
Avg. Deaths - 6
Form - Oral

Sentinel(Milbemycine oxide/luferon):
Total Adverse Reactions - 892
Total Deaths - 25
Year Approved - 1999
Avg. Reactions - 233
Avg. Deaths - 6
Form - Oral

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well sometimes that teeny fecal loop is still hard to get in the tiny opening. and u get a better result with a bigger sample.

the chart is a little deceiving (sorry i cant spell) because they separate interceptor and sentinel..they should be combined.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Mar 9 2005, 10:44 PM
well sometimes that teeny fecal loop is still hard to get in the tiny opening.  and u get a better result with a bigger sample.

the chart is a little deceiving (sorry i cant spell)  because they separate interceptor and sentinel..they should be combined.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41648
[/QUOTE]

After seeing that chart there are few on there that I wouldn't touch with a "ten-foot pole" as the saying goes.....

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well if no diarrhea or blood..she is just deworming to cover incase ur breeder didnt do a good job. so if u know ur breeder took care of the pups, then there shouldnt be a need for the wormer. like i said..i would just bring in the sample and let them tell u she has parasites before u give the meds.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I personally would be very upset if a vet applied a medication to my dog without my consent. Revolution is one with more reactions, but most dogs do fine with it. I used it for a while and was pleased with it. It definately was not quite as good on ticks as the frontline was. Since I get interceptor for free, I switched back to that when I got the ok from Mikey's vet. I use Frontline as needed for ticks (we don't have flea problems).

Good on the vaccine with no lepto.

We do not routinely worm puppies unless the breeder's papers recommend another worming or they have worms.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole+Mar 9 2005, 11:47 PM-->
I use Sentinel on both Wally and Toby and my mom uses it on Aaden too.  We are very pleased with it.  We have no flea problems, but all three dogs are pretty much indoor dogs. 

<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Mar 9 2005, 09:55 PM
I often would bring a sample and thought maybe I was being neurotic!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41651
I bring a stool sample each time I go in too. Funny story...Last year I took Wally's morning stool sample in with me, but I didn't want to carry it in in a Ziplock bag all exposed, so I put it in a Bath & Body Works bag. I handed it to the receptionist and before I could tell her what it was, she was like, "OHHHHHH! What's in here? I just love B&BW!" LOL She sure got a surprised when she peeked in there!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41675
[/B][/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts