Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Such a disheartening conversation with a friend who is an antique dealer today. She wanted to see the dog bed I made for Pico and when I brought it over she told me she and her friend are breeding dogs. Her friend has a Maltese and she has a Poodle and they were going to breed them for MaltiPoos.

I told her that even though I had no details about her breeding operation that I was opposed to what they were doing. As we got further into the conversation, my instinct was right on! I asked how big the Maltese was and she had no idea....maybe 10 pounds but she wasn't sure because she "doesn't know about those things".!!!! She said they wanted to get other breeds and expand out of her house , etc. etc. Right now they were buying and "flipping" dogs to get seed money. Oh, yes I was horrified.
They sell the puppies at 6 weeks because "the buyers insist on little puppies" and "won't buy them at 12 weeks". AND THIS WOMAN THINKS SHE'S A BREEDER! Now I know I was just as ignorant as she is before I got Pico and found SM but at least I wasn't BREEDING dogs!

I gave her as much infomation as I could remember from Charmypoo, LucyLou, Msmagnolia and my own research and I think by the end of the conversation I had disuaded her. She said she really didn't like dogs much and wanted to focus on designer clothing for dogs and bedding, etc. She said another girlfriend felt as I did and was always arguing with her, too. I encouraged her to pursue the soft-goods line because she could control her costs and increase her profitability without taking the shortcuts required to profit from breeding. I hope I told her enough about Liver shunts, MVD, pateller luxation, caesarean birthing, etc. to make her realize that she knows nothing about the industry of breeding dogs and would be doing a disservice to her customers and the dogs.

I was pretty strong in telling her she had no business in the business. Pray I did some good, please. Now if I can get an introduction to her "friend" and work on her!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Oh, I do hope you were successful. I've had to do the same thing with a sister in law and I cant believe how painful these conversations can be. No matter what it is I plan to do, the first thing I do is research it. These people think because they have dogs that its natural or something for them to just be bred, and dont even bother reading up on things or asking a vet or anything! So sad when these are living breathing things

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Nov 15 2005, 05:11 PM
Oh, I do hope you were successful.  I've had to do the same thing with a sister in law and I cant believe how painful these conversations can be.  No matter what it is I plan to do, the first thing I do is research it.  These people think because they have dogs that its natural or something for them to just be bred, and dont even bother reading up on things or asking a  vet or anything!  So sad when these are living breathing things

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119940
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, there is a growing number who think there is money to be made in raising dogs. The elderly are doing it to suppliment their social security checks, the young family is doing it so mom can stay home with the kids, and the greedy are doing it so they don't have to get a real job. These folks just buy dogs, put them together, and let the breedings take place. Then, they set up a website and advertise. They don't study genetics, health problems, or conformation of their breed. They just count the pups and the money they get from them.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Gosh, how disheartening to hear about this. I totally understand that there are lots of people who are unable to pay large sums of money for dogs from top breeding programs. At least in forums like this people are encouraged to go into dog ownership with their eyes open and to know what they might be able to expect depending on where their dogs come from. It is very sad when animals are just a commodity!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Did you tell her that her "flipping" pups is just about as low down as any person could go? I assume she is acting as a broker where she buys pups cheap and sells them for a profit. I'll bet she is not checking out the quality of the pups she gets or having them receive proper vet care before they are sold. I think she also has to have a license of some type to do this.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Sometimes hiting these people with the "right and wrong" of breeding doesn't work for me. I find the money factor works best for those who think they can make money breeding dogs. I tell them about how much they will have to spend on genetic tests or risk lawsuits for puppies who have inherited diseases, tell them the cost of prenatal care, (ultrasounds, etc.), how common c-sections are in these little dogs especially in first pregnancies, and then that they could easily end up with only one or two puppies after all that $$$$ if all goes well.

Throwing in a few stories about living with intact dogs (marking, etc.) plus how awful it is to have a male dog if there is a female in heat anywhere close, the whining, moaning and bad dispositions (I know people whose children have been bitten by their own dogs during this time) can usually seal the deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts