Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Audrey is very fluffy
but is suffering in the heat a bit when we are outside.

I would like to thin out her hair on her body a bit with scissors and maybe shorten it slightly.
I have already scissored her legs and belly which worked well, but every time I try on her body, I get a 'choppy' look.
Problem is that I really don't want her too short or shaved.

Is this possible, and if so does anyone have any ideas how to just do a light scissor trim and thin out of the coat?

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Our grooming expert here, JMM, is away this week, I think. From my experience, though, and what others who have tried have shared on this and other forums, thinning a Maltese coat can be a disaster. It looks great for about a week, but since it is different lengths, when it grows back it mats like crazy. I have known people who have had to shave it down and start again as a result.

How long is Audrey's coat now? I just went through that with Lady. She was about 3 inches, the perfect puppy cut length for her, not a sign of a mat. But summer has locked in in North Carolina and the heat index is well over 100 everyday now. I used my clippers with a 1/2 comb. I started with the 3/4 inch, but decided that her comfort was more important. I didn't touch her face or tail.

She is so much happier! And she looks cute either way.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I would not thin a Maltese coat. It will turn into fluff and mats. If you want to reduce the amount of coat, I would have the dog clipped or scissor the entire coat (I get a nice finish on a silky coat using a 30 or 40 blade with a snap on comb against the grain). It takes experience to scissor a coat well so if you want to do it yourself, I would see if a groomer or the breeder could give you a few lessons.

My dogs were never much cooler when I cut their coats down.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i shave the girls so that they only have like 1/4 inch of hair. they seem A LOT cooler. especially ellie. she doesnt pant anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.