Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from taking Harley on a trip to Petsmart. He shook all the way there and back! He does this everytime we take him away from home.Does that mean we should socialize him more or what? He klung to my neck and dug his nails in my skin....ouch.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Awww....
Brinkley loves to "go!"...so I don't know what to tell ya!

Maybe some shorter trips more often to get him more used to it.
I know that some dogs never like car rides, so hopefully you can get him over it.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I don't remember where you got Harley from or how old he is, but yes, it does sound like he needs to be socialized more. He's old enough to have had all his shots, hasn't he?

A friend of mine had Maltese for 25 years and decided to make her last 2 indoor only. They ended up being like agorophobic humans - terrified to leave their home. It took both her and her husband to handle a vet visit, one got terribly car sick, and obviously she second-guessed her decision years later.

Puppies that spent those very important first weeks in a puppy mill with little human contact are notoriously difficult to socialize so you may have to work extra hard with Harley if he is a pet shop puppy. You may also have to accept that he may never be as social as a dog "lovingly raised underfoot" as reputable breeders like to say.

Have you tried taking him out in a carrier? He may feel safer in one, likehe's crated. I'd also avoid busy noisy places like Petsmart for his first outings if he's afraid. Dogs have much stronger senses of smells than we do and more sensitive hearing. Can you imagine how much more intense the smell of all the strange dogs, noises, etc. must be to him?

Poor baby.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Does he go on rides alot? If not he was prob. just very scared.As Traci said to get him used to rides,start small going only short distances.give him treats in the car so he will learn its not a bad place to be. Only take him to places that there are not alot of ppl. or dogs until he is used to being around them.If you havent taken him out much this is prob. why he was afraid and not due to the fact he came from a pet store or byb. Short trips and letting him get used to ppl. and other dogs slowly will help to ease his fear.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I never said it wasent important. What I said was,IF he wasent used to going in the car or being around other ppl. or dogs he might be afraid because of THAT.
It makes me angry that every time someone ask a question or makes a comment "some" ppl. right away have to make comments that its due to comeing from a petstore,byb etc. Cant we just give them an answer without implying thier problem is prob. due to the fact they got their dog from one of those. There can be many prob. that do not led back to those places. If I posted a question for help and someone without knowing the fact of where my dog came from answered back that the problem was due to getiing my dog from one of those,I would be VERY insulted.And not likely to post again

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
How old is Harley? I knew before I got Chloe that she needed to be okay in the car. The day we got her we had a 3 hour drive home, and I just let her hang out in my arms since my husband was driving. She slept the whole way. Then we just started taking her everywhere we went. I would stay with her in the car since she hadn't had all her shots yet. Little by little we went to using her Pet-Taxi when she was in the car, at first I would use it when I was alone with her and would keep her in the front seat so she could see me. Then from there we moved her to the back seat. She never had a problem.

Now out in public is another story - she feels she must guard mommy from all things evil in the world. Um let's see - might be someone's baseball cap or anothers large purse. Ya never know when one of these things might lash out and hurt mom - afterall.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182@May 13 2005, 11:45 AM
I never said it wasent important. What I said was,IF he wasent used to going in the car or being around other ppl. or dogs he might be afraid because of THAT.
It makes me angry that every time someone ask a question or makes a comment "some" ppl. right away have to make comments that its due to comeing from a petstore,byb etc. Cant we just give them an answer without implying thier problem is prob. due to the fact they got their dog from one of those. There can be many prob. that do not led back to those places. If I posted a question for help and someone without knowing the fact of where my dog came from answered back that the problem was due to getiing my  dog from one of those,I would be VERY insulted.And not likely to post again
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62109
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Sheila, my comment about Harley's background was not meant to insult you or Harley's mom. I know you get very defensive when this subject comes up, but I wish you wouldn't in this case.

I have owned and trained many dogs and think the key to success is understanding what is going through their minds. Puppy mill dogs are "special needs" dogs in my opinion (please notice emphasis). Their limited human contact and handling in those early weeks can make them more difficult to socialize. As I said in my other post, it just means you have to work a little harder sometimes and be a bit more pateint and understanding because new situations are much more stressful to them.

I also consider rescue to be "special needs", too. This is not a derrogatory comment and all my pets are (and have been for 25 years) rescues. They, like puppy mill puppies, need extra understanding and patience, too. That doesn't make them inferior. In fact, I think my Lady is more special because she is a rescue!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
My point was missed once again.I do not disagree with what you have said at all.I totally agree.My comment was about it seems like every time someone ask a question you automatically "assume" the problems arise from the pet coming from a puppy mill,byb,pet store.Even in times where you dont know for a fact that that is true.We all feel the same way about these places,but cant we just answer the questions and leave out the rest? We have many threads about it to help inform ppl. about these places,why does it have to come up in a simple question. unless someone says ...my pet is from a petstore,byb,puppy mill can anyone help with my question etc.Do you see what Im saying now? You help with so much with great information Marge,and I feel you are a great asset to this site.But frankly sometimes I stop reading your posts because you tend (IMO )to vear off the topic.I know its because you are so passonate about the subject of the issue,(as we all really are) Sometimes a question can just be answered without all the rest and assumtions. And please do not take this as a personal attack,because thats not whats intended.
Sometimes I have a hard time trying to get my point across,Im not gifted as some are in that area!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I don't see what's wrong with bringing up ALL opinions on what could be wrong. This could be an underlying reason why Harley is acting this way, and bringing it up could help fix the problem. Harley's owner might not have thought that it was an underlying problem so didn't think to bring up his background. How are we to learn anything if we tip toe around everything? If it is the problem then it's a valid post and not off topic. It's important to look at all angles in order to figure out the problem. Our babies can't tell us what's wrong so it's our job as owners to go over all the options and figure out what works best. Why deny this dog a chance of fixing the problem because someone is afraid to bring up the topic of puppy mills once again. Just because there are a few topics on the horrors of puppy mills doesn't meant that everyone is going to read them so whenever it comes up is good and it shouldn't be silenced because it offends some.
If Harley isn't a puppy mill or BYB dog then his owner doesn't have to take the advice given in the post about it. They can move on to the next option and try everything till it works. And others might have the same problem with their dog and read this thread and their dog might be a puppy mill or BYB dog and that could be their problem. There now someone learned something and used it to help their dog, what's wrong with that?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Thankfully our maltese Izzy loves to travel in the car but that wasn't always the case with our rottweiler shepherd mix. Maggie hated the car, was terrified of it. The kids started out by opening both back doors and luring Maggie in one door with a treat and right out the other door. They'd laugh and she'd chase them around the back of the car and do it again. After days of this, they started shutting one back door while luring her in, then luring her in and shutting the door without driving anywhere. After Maggie got used to the car, we'd take her for short drives, return home and treat her. Once again, those treats seem to be a great motivator for just about anything.

Good luck with Harley, I hope someone's idea will be beneficial to you guys.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by FannyMay@May 17 2005, 03:35 PM
I don't see what's wrong with bringing up ALL opinions on what could be wrong.  This could be an underlying reason why Harley is acting this way, and bringing it up could help fix the problem.  Harley's owner might not have thought that it was an underlying problem so didn't think to bring up his background.  How are we to learn anything if we tip toe around everything?  If it is the problem then it's a valid post and not off topic.  It's important to look at all angles in order to figure out the problem.  Our babies can't tell us what's wrong so it's our job as owners to go over all the options and figure out what works best.  Why deny this dog a chance of fixing the problem because someone is afraid to bring up the topic of puppy mills once again.  Just because there are a few topics on the horrors of puppy mills doesn't meant that everyone is going to read them so whenever it comes up is good and it shouldn't be silenced because it offends some. 
If Harley isn't a puppy mill or BYB dog then his owner doesn't have to take the advice given in the post about it.  They can move on to the next option and try everything till it works.  And others might have the same problem with their dog and read this thread and their dog might be a puppy mill or BYB dog and that could be their problem.  There now someone learned something and used it to help their dog, what's wrong with that?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62946
[/QUOTE]
Ya know Im really so tired and discourgedf trying to make eveyone understand the point ( and alot 0f other ppl's) I was trying to make. So Im giving up,I will no longer post on the point I was trying to make.Either you get it...or you dont.Sadly...

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182@May 13 2005, 11:45 AM
It makes me angry that every time someone ask a question or makes a comment "some" ppl. right away have to make comments that its due to comeing from a petstore,byb etc. Cant we just give them an answer without implying thier problem is prob. due to the fact they got their dog from one of those. There can be many prob. that do not led back to those places. If I posted a question for help and someone without knowing the fact of where my dog came from answered back that the problem was due to getiing my  dog from one of those,I would be VERY insulted.And not likely to post again
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62109
[/QUOTE]

i can understand the being insulted, however...

i don't think she was wrong in posting that. it's important to 'cover all bases', correct? it very well COULD be the problem.

lady's mom (i assume that is who you're talking about..) is a huge source of information and i know she is only intending to help, not hurt. she never implies that the fact that they're puppymill dogs is a BAD thing. she just tries to share information, which is what this forum is all about.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Originally posted by Harleysmom@May 17 2005, 05:48 PM
Thanks for all the info-I didn't realize it was going to cause such turmoil
I will try to take him out more.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62967
[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem with Jonas when I took him out, he would shake and be very scared, and eventually started throwing up when he got in the car. (He hadn't been carsick when I first got him). I know it is because Quincy gets horribly carsick and I have to medicate him before taking him anywhere, so he doesn't get out much, and that meant Jonas didn't either. I now have Jonas loving car rides and going out, and no throwup--I started taking him out daily for short 5-10 minute rides, taking him to Wendy's for a few licks of a Frosty, or McDonalds for a chicken nugget. Worked great, especially cause these things are not part of his regular diet. Wish I could fix Quincy's carsickness so easily. He still has to be heavily medicated or urps everywhere, even though he loves to go.
Quincymom

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Just my two cents .... if I had gotten K or C from a pet store and had a problem such as the one Harley's mom mentioned... I would really want to know and understand that coming from a pet store could have caused the problem, so that I could be more diligent in their socialization, etc. Until this forum, I did not fully realize the importance of those early days and weeks in the lives our little ones..... For me, "knowledge is power". As the old saying goes..."you can't please all the people all the time."

·
Registered
608 Posts
Here goes my 2cents worth.....

I happen to agree with Sheila whole heartedly. She is not saying that where the puppy came from does not cause issues. But what she is saying is that it is not always the first and only reason for issues. At times it seems people do not listen to the whole story or look for any other factors outside the origin of the puppy. It is often discouraging to see question after question answered the same. I am sorry to say that wether it is intentional or not a holier than thou attitude comes across to me quite often on here. The purpose of the board to me is to get a mulitude of answers to my questions, not to have one person answer and the following agree. At times I can see how you could feel intimidated to disagree with the general thought.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina@May 17 2005, 08:58 PM
Here goes my 2cents worth.....

I happen to agree with Sheila whole heartedly.   She is not saying that where the puppy came from does not cause issues.  But what she is saying is that it is not always the first and only reason for issues.   At times it seems people do not listen to the whole story or look for any other factors outside the origin of the puppy.  It is often discouraging to see question after question answered the same.   I am sorry to say that wether it is intentional or not a holier than thou attitude comes across to me quite often on here.  The purpose of the board to me is to get a mulitude of answers to my questions, not to have one person answer and the following agree.  At times I can see how you could feel intimidated to disagree with the general thought.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=63029
[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm- I have said that SAME thing!!!

Intentional or not, it does come across that way.

Just my 1 cent...I am done...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I think those of you that think some of us have a holier than thou attitude, have a complex. I personally just like to educate and don't mean to sound condescending. If I do sound that way it's not intentional, I just want to help the animals because they can't help themselves.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts