Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past two days, about 1/2 the time I sign on to SM, I get a message that a Trojan has been found and deleted. It doesn't happen when I check the other site, or when I try to download anything. Is anyone else seeing anything like this?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Well I had 47 viruses on my computer like a week ago and a lot were trojans i think but i dont know if they came off this website (turns out my mom was downloading stuff)

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Carol Ann@May 2 2005, 09:47 PM
Whew - I thought you had lost something REALLY important for a moment! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=59135
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the laugh. It only happens when I try to check posts here. I get a message that it's been found, and cleaned. I've done three virus scans, and I'm clear there.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Maybe it's just an advertisement at the top of the page? Sometimes they do that so you will click on the advertisement and buy their virus protection. If that's not it then I don't know what it is. Go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and scan again. If you do have a virus or a worm they usually take out your virus protection first so you don't know they are there. This one scans right from the internet so the virus can't destroy it. Don't worry it's a safe site. Just pick scan for free (or whatever it says that it's free), then pick your country, then pick what you want scanned (your hard drives) and scan away. If you have dial up this will take a LONG time so you can surf while it scans or you can do laundry, shopping, or something to keep you busy wile it does it's thing. It will tell you when it's done and if it found anything. Good luck and I hope your computer is clean. If you find something then I would reinstall your virus software because it's busted.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
some virusprograms will falsely detect a virus on a site that runs script code for advertisments which i do, it may be that, but i can assure you there is no virus "in the site"

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Virus are different than spyware. I think its only recently that anti virus is even looking for some spyware. You can have no viruses but still have programs running that shouldnt be. And thats what it sounds like you have.

First an easy thing to check is in add\remove programs and remove any programs that you know you didnt install. Some ones I can think of off the top of my head are like coupons and offers or shopping programs.

Clear temporary internet files.

There are some free programs that are pretty decent that you can install to check for them. Both ad aware and spybot are free and usually are sufficient to catch simple things. Those have updates regularly that will catch the latest. You need to install them, update them, and then boot in safe mode and run them. Also make sure virus defs are up-to-date. The software can only detect the bad stuff that it knows about.

Then you want to check your startup menu to make sure nothing that's there shouldnt be. There is also a registry key that if you feel comfy messing with you can check. PM me if you want to check it and send to me what is on it and I can tell you what I think is safe to delete.

This is like the worst part of my job since I dont have time for cleaning this up if it happens to get someone here. It is so frustrating that you can go to web sites and yes, they can infect you with this without you even doing anything. And all of the wasted time dealing with this junk.

edit: Not this site! I dont mean to say that Joe has it here. It's usually from, to use a phrase I am familiar with, 'back yard" sites that you might happen upon doing a search for something....

Everything is ok here

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help. I think Joe is probably right in what is going on. It's funny that it just started two days ago. I get a little pop-up at the bottom saying the trojan has been found and cleaned. I'll make a copy of it next time so I can better explain it. I've got pretty good scan stuff on my computer, so I feel I'm safe there.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I also started having "trojan" problems a few days ago. There were 3 detected on my hard drive....2 were able to be cleaned and 1 I can't get rid of for the life of me. It is buried somewhere in my start-up program. It has gotten to the point that it makes me crazy to come to the SM boards as this is the only website it happens on. My feeling is, it came from here.....somewhere.....I have several spyware/cleanup programs installed on this computer and none of them can get rid of it. I am wondering if it was planted here by someone else from another site?? Anyone else still having problems????

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@May 6 2005, 12:00 PM
I also started having "trojan" problems a few days ago.  There were 3 detected on my hard drive....2 were able to be cleaned and 1 I can't get rid of for the life of me.  It is buried somewhere in my start-up program.  It has gotten to the point that it makes me crazy to come to the SM boards as this is the only website it happens on.  My feeling is, it came from here.....somewhere.....I have several spyware/cleanup programs installed on this computer and none of them can get rid of it.  I am wondering if it was planted here by someone else from another site??  Anyone else still having problems????

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60425
[/QUOTE]

I'm still getting the notice from time to time, and only when I try to open the messages at SM.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Same here, I have to "go back" in order to get to what I was trying to open. The error message is " blah, blah Trojan has been detected, you must reboot to fix" and when I do that it still continues to happen. So I keep ending up with a "can't display page" and have to "go back" to go foward!! Driving me :new_Eyecrazy: :new_Eyecrazy: :new_Eyecrazy: :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@May 6 2005, 12:42 PM
Same here, I have to "go back" in order to get to what I was trying to open.  The error message is " blah, blah Trojan has been detected, you must reboot to fix" and when I do that it still continues to happen.  So I keep ending up with a "can't display page" and have to "go back" to go foward!!  Driving me :new_Eyecrazy:  :new_Eyecrazy:  :new_Eyecrazy:  :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60444
[/QUOTE]

Mine isn't like that. I just get a message at the bottom which says a trojan has been found and cleaned. It says c:\command.exc was infected by download-dc. Trojan has been detetcted to complete the clean process. I've run the scan several times, and I'm clear. Also, there is no other problem on my computer that I know of.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts