Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trust funds for my fluffs.

I am going to execute Lucy’s tomorrow - Barron’s is in place.

I use to think that people were silly setting up Trust Funds for their pets - I had one for Nicholas and Emily for many years. I would like to think - that my kidz would have the same standard of care, love and support, that I give them everyday, if something happens to me.

How do some of you handle it? Do you know what will happen to your fluff if something does happen to you? If it’s too personal, please don’t respond - I just wanted to know if it’s something that other folks have done or are doing.

Thank you,

Allie

·
Registered
863 Posts
I think it is very wise to be so prepared. We are young (well, the hubs is middle aged) so the likelihood of both of us kicking it at the same time is unlikely, but you never know. I'm going to look into this. It sometimes feels, though, that no one else close can provide as careful and loving care as we can, regardless of the money. I'm sure those on SM can understand these feelings. I wish we all lived close to each other so we could serve as godparents for each others dogs should a tragedy happen.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I had bought a program a few months back called "Will Maker". When I first started making my will, it had an entire page dedicated to pets.....well I had to stop right there to figure out who would take them. Along with who they are going to, I am designating a specified amount of $ to go with each one for their care.

It's been a quite a feat, but I finally have it all figured out...hopefully for the best. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
I worry about this too. I know if something happened to me, my husband could not care for the babies like I do. He loves them but their poor coat would be a mess. My daughter would not keep them because her husband dislikes little dogs. She told me that she would find a suitable home but I don't think she understands the extent of care that is required of a little malt. This is a really hard subject to think about. Even money in a trust fund does not equate to someone really loving and taking care of our little ones. It has to be love of this breed and only here do I feel like everyone understands where I am coming from.............

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I worry about this too. I know if something happened to me, my husband could not care for the babies like I do. He loves them but their poor coat would be a mess. My daughter would not keep them because her husband dislikes little dogs. She told me that she would find a suitable home but I don't think she understands the extent of care that is required of a little malt. This is a really hard subject to think about. Even money in a trust fund does not equate to someone really loving and taking care of our little ones. It has to be love of this breed and only here do I feel like everyone understands where I am coming from.............
Dianne, You always have me...of course CeeCee and Rain would be loved and become one of the family. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is exactly my point, Dianne.

I’d like the trust to include the person providing care to my Lucy - and I want to have a guardian ad litem (so-to-speak) to oversee the care and finances.

Now that I’m older, it is something that I can’t just think about - doing tomorrow . . .

I need to know that when I sleep, should I not awakened, there are plans and accommodations for the fluffs.

Thank you for your input.

Allie

Dianne,

My husband is great with the fluffs, but there is NO way that he could provide the gentle, loving care that they require everyday - grooming, eyes. ears, nails, teeth - etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I think we are covered :) I have 3 grown up kids and I know that all would love to have her. If I think things have changed then I would make provisions.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
We have a trust written and have list of friends and family member that we thought would give the care and love like me and the DH. It states
they have to take them all and whom ever assumes the responsibilty receives a certain amount of money for their care.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all of you for the insightful information. On this difficult subject to discuss.

I have a person and a few in reserve for Barron - I have Barron and Lucy’s trusts’ through an attorney.

Lucy, on the other hand - people remark "not into a high maintenance dog" - she will be a challenge, I think. However, I have many friends from college - I am certain that if I were to scout about, I could find a true animal lover that would fit the bill for Lucy.

It’s been something that had been heavy on my heart. I’m feeling better about it - although I will be elated when it is all said and done -

Thanks again,

Allie

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I have 2 friends designated one for my cats and one for the pups. My friend Laura has a maltese named Sonny and i had asked her if something were to happen to me if she would take the pups and she knows that also includes Chelsea my Cocker Spaniel and was very touched that i had asked her. She is like me when it comes to the care and love of her pup and i know they will be well loved and well taken care of. My friend LeaAnn is a cat person and she loves her cats like i do mine and she is the same with their care. So i feel very blessed to know that if something were to happen to me that all of the furkids would be well taken care of and very well loved.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Debbie,

Thank you understanding! I don't have children of my own, so for me, it's like having a college fund set up to take care of my fluffs.

~Allie

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I am hoping my hubby would take care of Ollie, but need to get someone else ready in case he feels it would be too much. I have posted before that I have Stage 4 incurable breast cancer so I should get this taken care of.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
I feel just like Dianne. I don't have anyone (friend or family) that I trust with the care of my girls. Jerry loves them, but with his health, it would be difficult for him to care for them, and I want them to be cared for like I care for them.

I know that my SM friends understand. I've thought about leaving the girls in the care of a rescue group with substantial funds to help.

What do you think about that?

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am hoping my hubby would take care of Ollie, but need to get someone else ready in case he feels it would be too much. I have posted before that I have Stage 4 incurable breast cancer so I should get this taken care of.
I am so very sorry to read this. I do hope that there is something that can be done to help you.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Warm regards,

Allie

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Al would take good care of them,he'd either have them clipped down to a more manageable length or pay someone to groom them,I'm sure. If both if us die,my step son's heart is in the right place,he does make sure his dogs are vaccinated and are fed the best food but his desisions leave a lot to be worried about... he doesn't always know what to do for his dogs and calls me....

I'd rather have someone,more level headed to care for my fluffs. Since I have 5 it would be a lot to ask.It would take a special person since I'd want ,at the very least Emily and Sasha to be together, Bitsy and Rylee to be together. Amber ,the cocker would be happy with either pair,she gets along well w/ all of them,but has been w/ Emily and Sasha the longest.
So someone would need to take 2 and another to take 3.
We don't have anyone we can trust ,as far as family or friends.... so all we have is SMer's and hope they can be their furever homes....It wouldn't be a financial burden since they'd come with a trust fund,but it would be work caring for so many.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I feel just like Dianne. I don't have anyone (friend or family) that I trust with the care of my girls. Jerry loves them, but with his health, it would be difficult for him to care for them, and I want them to be cared for like I care for them.

I know that my SM friends understand. I've thought about leaving the girls in the care of a rescue group with substantial funds to help.

What do you think about that?
Lynn,

I think that is a brilliant idea, for Lucy. As I said, I have friends that just adore Barron - they love that he's active and so very friendly and not fragile.

I should perhaps talk to Edie about Lucy - or maybe have Phil (my attorney talk to her) I’m going to ask him about this.

In my heart of hearts, I’d like to know where she’s headed - you know, it gives us a sense of peace about our kidz - but I do know that Edie would never place her with someone who wouldn’t love and cherish her.

Listen to me, I’m not on my death bed for goodness sakes - I’m just planning ahead - like any concerned parent would do.

Thanks Lynn, you're a doll - I feel so blessed and honored to be a part of this family.

Sleep well,

Allie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts